For first time in years, U.S. starting goalkeeper job completely up for grabs

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Nov 13, 2017.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

2. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, this 2018 qualifying cycle was really the first time since 1994 that goalkeeping hasn't been a major strength of the US team. For so long, we've been able to count on our exceptional goalkeepers to bail us out and keep us in games. I think about Tim Howard's performances against Belgium in the 2014 World Cup or in that 0-0 friendly against Argentina in 2008. Or Brad Friedel's performance against South Korea in the 2002 World Cup. Or Kasey Keller's in that famous 1-0 win against Brazil in 1998.

We didn't have that luxury this cycle. Tim Howard (bless his heart) finally started to show his age. Brad Guzan, while solid and pretty steady, never emerged as an elite goalkeeper. The guys in their prime age years (Bill Hamid, Sean Johnson, etc.) either haven't taken the leap to elite or haven't been given opportunities to do so.

That said, I'm optimistic about the future. I think Bill Hamid is a talented keeper and he has an opportunity to continue to improve with his move to Europe. He also has all the physical tools in terms of being a great shot stopper.

I think the young trio of Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath and Jesse Gonzalez all have great promise. Steffen has impressed me continually, and despite his adversity with Club Brugge the past few weeks, I think Horvath has good potential.

And while we give opportunities to Hamid to see what he's made of and while we wait for these younger guys to hit their prime, Brad Guzan should still be a solid stopgap option for us for the next few years, either as a starter or a capable backup.

2in10 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2018 cycle seemed like a train wreck ever since the end of the 2014 World Cup. Personally, I’m just glad it’s over. I’m ready to fall back in love with this team, as that was really tested this past cycle. That said, I’m excited to see the new blood. Horvath vs Gonzalez vs Steffen vs Hamid... they should all get a shot. I’d probably start Hamid today, although I want Horvath, just because he’s a little older and might settle the team down. However, I might sub Horvath at the half. Gonzalez can wait, same with Steffen, until January Camp. Right now, we can spend time alternating between the 4 to see who rises to the top.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I agree. Gonzalez and Steffen in the winter camp.

Hamid has experience but hasn't played in maybe 2 months I think. While Horvath hasn't played in 2 weeks. I wonder if the coach might take this into account.

juveeer and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An important thing to remember for tonight is that Dave Sarachan is an idiot.

russ, puttputtfc, ArsenalMetro and 3 others repped this.
  6. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Excellent point!

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    can you elaborate?

8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Steffen is the best of the bunch IMHO. Gonzalez, I want to se him too. Jan camp will be critical for both. Too bad we won't have a real coach in charge by then.

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a terrible coach who only gets head coach jobs via inheritance or sentimentalism. He's a good example of the Peter principle.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeeper has been a major strength for us since 1930 in Uruguay. Meola was a pillar, a rock in 1990

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Tony Meola and he was a good keeper, but I don't think he was ever at the same level as Brad Friedel or Tim Howard in their primes, or even Kasey Keller when he was at his best. I consider Meola more at the level of a Brad Guzan (one step below Howard and Friedel, and Keller).

But yes, relative to the rest of our squad in 1990, Meola was good.

Marko72 repped this.
  12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    team played well under him last night

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's amazing is he started in 2 World Cups. 7 WC games.

And he was 21 during the first tournament. Hard to imagine Horvath or Steffen as our no.1 (at age 22) now

RoyalYank repped this.
  14. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure. Meola had kind of a weird USMNT career, though. He emerged at a very young age (while he was still in college), toward the tail end of the dark ages for US soccer. He started every match for the US at the 1990 and 1994 World Cups, and earned a ton of caps in between, so he was clearly ahead of Kasey Keller and Brad Friedel in the pecking order during that cycle. Then, he didn't appear at all for the US from 1995 - 1998, which should've been the prime of his career based on age (including missing the 1998 World Cup). A great run of form in MLS in 1999 brought him back into the national team picture, mostly as our #3 guy behind Keller and Friedel, and he made the World Cup squad as our #3 keeper in 2002 as a 33 year old. He would only appear for the US one more time after that tournament - a testimonial match in 2006 as he earned his 100th cap.

juveeer and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know why Meola had a weird career? cause after he shut down England in one of the most impressive games a keeper ever had: 1993 friendly (Lalas goal)...nobody in England signed him.

Suyuntuy and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is that true? didn't he have an italian passport

Surely he must have had some European interest after starting in 2 WC's

17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meola certainly had his moments. He was not the weak link in those teams.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Meola made his U.S. National Team debut on June 10, 1988, against Ecuador. Meola's second cap came in a June 4, 1989 victory over Peru in the Marlboro Cup which won the U.S. the cup. The team took the trophy to the Scots-American Club in Kearny, New Jersey. After the party, Meola drove back to the team's hotel, dropped the trophy at the front desk and drove home. As he remembers it, "A week later Doug Newman called me up and asked where the cup was. I told him I'd left it at for him at the hotel. . . . I'm sure they got it back. Back then there weren't too many cups in U.S. Soccer."[3]

Later in the summer, the national team went on a tour of Italy, playing several Serie A teams. At the time, David Vanole was the U.S. starter, but he and Meola had traded goalkeeper duties over the previous month as Vanole fought USSF on a contract dispute and attempted to get his burgeoning weight under control. U.S. coach Bob Gansler intended to start Meola against A.S. Roma, but Meola was injured in a freak accident when a ball struck his head during practice. Vanole started in his place, but let in three weak goals in a 4-3 U.S. victory.[4] Gansler benched Vanole, who never again played for the U.S., and turned toward Meola as his starting keeper. Meola went on to play the remaining U.S. qualifying games for the 1990 FIFA World Cup, including the famous 1-0 victory over Trinidad and Tobago which clinched a spot in the finals for the U.S. He then played every minute in goal for the U.S. in the 1990 FIFA World Cup.

Meola remained the keeper of choice for the U.S. national team from 1990 through the 1994 FIFA World Cup. At that tournament, his play and ponytail made him a recognizable face around the country. After the U.S. loss to Brazil in the second round of the World Cup, Meola informed the U.S. coach Bora Milutinović that he intended to pursue a professional football career as a placekicker. Milutinović never called Meola back to the U.S. team and it was not until January 1999 that Meola again played for the U.S. By that time, Kasey Keller and Brad Friedel were competing for the starting goalkeeper spot on the team and Meola never regained the first team place he had enjoyed in the early 1990s. However, he continued to play for the U.S. and earned his 100th cap in 2006. He was the third-choice goalkeeper at the 2002 FIFA World Cup behind Brad Friedel and Kasey Keller.

Really interesting

juveeer repped this.
  19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, just check out the goal he allowed against Romania in the 1994 WC. It wasn't pretty.

He did. After the 1990 WC he had stints in England with Brighton and Watford. They didn't pan out.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd leave Horvarth alone with his club to win the starting job back.

I'd start Hamid. Gonzales and Steffen can challenge him.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keepers don't win jobs,they lose them.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Horvath, Steffen, Hamid

Rotate them and see who plays better.

23. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 RoyalYank, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    you would think....then again you (and I) might also choose a healthy 2009 Clint Dempsey over an injured Bobby Zamora in a Europa Cup Semi? or the Final over Gera and Zamora? no accounting for english/european taste. :-(

24. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    give the gloves to Guzan. Hamid #2...everyone else can hang. I don't even want a #3.

25. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what? GFYYMFI/A. Sarachan is all that is right about the USMNT