for DC area fans of Freddy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by GersMan, Aug 2, 2002.

1. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Looks like he will indeed be playing in Germantown today for DCU's Super Y team, at 5:30 p.m. This per a convo with a helpful person from MLS. It's not quite a lock (the league guy couldn't be expected to know the roster of course) but it's enough to compel me to drive over and see what all the fuss is about.

Actually I did see him play at a local tournament a year and a half ago, but before all the attention started coming.

2. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Hope you get to see him. His brother is on the roster of one of DC's youth teams so there could be confusion but we will be waiting for your report.

3. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I did get to see him, but he wasn't playing. AS it turns out, he doesn't play for any of the DCU Super Y teams, as he has a slight knock from Bradenton and has been resting it.

I did get to interview him for soccer365 however, and hopefully that will be up on their site before too long.

Sorry if anybody went out expecting to see him, I was as misled as you were.

4. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I hope this kid keeps taking it in stride and doesn't let it get to his head. If they get his paperwork figured out and he actually plays for us next year then I'd expect him to go ahead and sign with a team or MLS. I heard one of his favorites was Real Madrid or one of the Italian teams(Inter?). Madrid has that kind of jack and they do have a pretty awesome youth academy set up. The question is whether or not young Adu could cope abroad. It seems a lot to ask of a 14 year old(his age next year).

6. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Exactly why he should finish high school in Bethesda, MD while playing for DC United. The kid definitely sounds like he has his sights set on Europe. Perhaps if MLS makes him the right offer with the right flexibility they might be able to keep him stateside for a little while. I am impressed with the maturity Adu comes across with in this interview.

7. sag is better

sag is better New Member

Dec 22, 2001
    North Carolina
  8. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    I don't know the exact dates of the camp, but I do know that they are scheduled to play the 84 CASL Elite on August 12 at SAS Park in Cary.

9. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Aug 10-18 are the dates.

Freddy is indeed a Real Madrid fan, big-time. He follows international soccer quite closely, says he's watching it all the time. I should have included that in the story.

Notebook, why do you say he should finish high school and stay with MLS?

10. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Game with CASL Elite

To update my previous post--the game between the U17s and the CASL Elite is scheduled for August 14. I haven't seen a time yet. School starts in the Raleigh area on August 12 so I would guess that this game will be at night.

11. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Wishful thinking. Your article mentions he would like to finish high school in the US. Of course it would not be possible to play in MLS and attend a regular high school.

12. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice job on the article. I enjoyed the update/insight and look forward to following his career.

13. PAW

PAW New Member

Aug 27, 1999
    Ijamsville MD
    So Freddy mentioned without naming names that some of the U-17's may sign with MLS. Any rumors regarding which players may be interested? There was an article about Ashe that was posted a while ago which indicated he was going to attend college after his time in FL.

I just glanced at the U-17 roster and these kids are bigger than I expected a lot of them are listed at 5'11" and 6'. Sandon how accurate do you think those listings on the USSF site are?

14. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Hristo stoichkov .....you have a big job

Many young players on CHICAGO FIRE are looking onto Hristo as BIG DADDY, it seems as a natural selection to have him work with some youngones once he go into retirement!

15. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly OFT but I saw this in the "Irish Echo" and thought it applied to Adu as we thought perhaps he might sign too early --'

"Manchester United have always had strong Irish interests, but never in a seven year old! Yes, that's correct, United want to sign up seven year-old Ross Murtagh to their under-age academy when he is eight and a half years old next June. Ross is reported to have great balance and has kicks equally well with both feet.

United are not the first big name club to show an interest in the young Dubliner. When the Murtagh family lived in Majorca, Spanish club Real Mallorca offered Ross a place in their under-age academy.

If the deal goes through Ross' parents will move to Manchester where their young son will get a private education. "

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    //Ross is reported to have great balance and has kicks equally well with both feet.//

Wenger would have had that spotted from the womb.

"Honey, come and feel the baby... Hey, what's that Frenchman doing in here?"

17. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Hey Dave, you have to really be on your game to keep a leg up on the Premiership. Between Wenger and his staff, they are probably involved with most of the pregnancies in UK.