Footballers that have Croatian national heritage - diaspora

Discussion in 'Croatia' started by carmelino, Oct 31, 2010.

1. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Rakitic is better than Modric, only Rakitic needs a chance.Big difference.
    Modric is our second best player.
    Rakitic has technical skills just like Modric, he is also fast, and has a view o the game...and he hoots on goal great, takes corners...and he has leadership skills...when he told his playmate in Schalke "I'll take this free kick" - eventhough other player started to hit the ball....in foreign club thats very positive attitude...on the other hand Kranjcar was boss only in his domestical clubs...where he had place in Hajduk and Dinamo ALWAYS...and in UK he has troubles with putting himself in first plan...

Modric, Ilicevic, Rakitic, Simunic, Pranjic, Olic, Petric, Jelavic - key players of CRO team.

Srna, Corluka, Corluka, Schildefeld, Mandzukic, Strinic, Vukojevic aren't doing their best at all...

Van der Vaart is a proffesional player, main difference between him and Kranjcar...Vaart played at Ajax school...highest level of youth career in the world...bad decision was transfer to HSV...Vaart is a complete player...Kranjcar has only distance shot and free kick...and corner...he doesn't have dribling skills...technical...and defensive skills...same as jumping in defense or forward...his record: lazy, passive, lack of talent...he doesnt have skills of contemporary football player...or modern...

He was a captain of FC DINAMO ZAGREB because his coach Miro Blazevic liked his father Zlatko Kranjcar very much...and because of dad, he became captain of his club...than that club told him to go..

In FC HAJDUK SPLIT he scored goals mostly from 11 meters...
    In Portsmouth he could play because the president was from Balkan area...ad he didnt have there great competition...in middle field...conlusion - he is type of player that could play for the clubs under 10th place in league...

He could play for Tottnham, until vd Vaart came...he has talent, speed, desire, motivation...not like in Real Madrid...Vaart completely change his point of view...

Kranjcar played 2 games good...Against Israel and Norway....how about before...every 7,8 th game he can play on good level...and the rest of games he walks around...

Gareth Bale, vd Vaart they have constant style of play....without amplitudes..
    Modern football takes no excuses: My girl left me...I'm sleepy...I'm lazy...

Remember what happened with Mario Jardel...

Kranjcar is a average player...nothing special...way far from "Croatian Zidane" nickname...

Lovren - as a defensive player he must try save his goal...thats his main activity..and chore...scoring goals is his fourth assignment...he mixes his roles...French media write bad critics all the time against Lovren...only FC Lyon defends him...si they can sell him at the end of year....because now they see that they overpayed him...9 million euros I assume...to much...

Vrsaljko is talented player...i agree, he has same approach just like Modric...head between his shoulders...same background they have...Zadar area...Jelavic is injured now...also great potential...fearless...

I know about 2 players that Ladic wanted...In Germany one plays...mixture marriage Serbo-Croat...he was born in Sarajevo..

Most of Croatian players in HNL are like "smotani"....they dont have head between shoulders...they are frustrated...and they can't compete with other players abroad...and they come back after 4,5 years in Croatia as heroes...with international experience...Biscan, Balaban, Sokota...Vugrinec...Ivan Leko..they magine that HNL is the same level with European level...and they get brick in the head...
    When I see Corluka...I see arogant player full of himself...he imagine that he is a celebrity...star in Croatia...and in UK he doesnt have that respect...like Hutton, Defoe, Keane...Crouch...and he feels bad about it...In Croatia he is a god...in England foreign player..without professional attitude...they don't have patience...on the field they can prove their quality...not with empty words..:)

2. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    i think you overate rakitic..modric has better first touch vision and footballing brain then rakitic..rakitic has better shot and freekicks but his speed is average and he loses the ball to much as well..modric is usually so calm and cool on the ball unlike rakitic who panics alot when under pressure..i will agree with you about corluka..he felt like he was a star now all of a sudden he has lost his place in spurs..corluka is a good player but he needs to get his head out of his butt..ive seen lovren play alot of games for dinamo and i think he is a very good talent who has rocks in his head..he is strong in the tackle and very good in the air but just makes stupid mistakes..he is only 21 so he has time..never seen the croatian messi kovacic play but my kum who lives in zagreb has and he says that his game is very similar to modric..we can only hope he is as good..as for the 2 kids ladic called up one is from germany who plays for mainz second team..the other one like you said is from bosna who is half serb half croat..The names of these 2 players is dario vujicevic and petar sliskovic..

3. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    boris vukcevic is another player hns should really be talking to..kid was impressive in under 21 germany win over england..im sure though joe simunic will lead him the right way..:) born in osijek btw..

4. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    SV Staufenberg
    VfL Sindelfingen
    –2006 SV Böblingen
    2006–2008 VfB Stuttgart

I know his youth clubs...in the near of Stuttgart all places

Other player is Sliskovic I think...

5. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    yes sliskovic plays in mainz youth team..you live in germany?

6. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I know very good German territory...Lived there for some years...:) During my education programm...so i know that area..Boblingen, Metzingen..Nurtingen..Esslingen...Reutlingen..Bad Canstatt...etc...

7. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    mateo kovacic who is technically diaspora as he was born in austria but his parents are croatian..he will most likely play for croatia as he has already played for the under 17's and plays for dinamo zagreb..although austria has been trying to convince him to play for them i seriously doubt he will..this kid is a big time talent but the key to him is everything ive heard is he has a good head on his shoulders and is a hard worker..ive never seen him play but my god father who lives in zagreb and knows his football says the kid is very simalar to modric with his technique vision and footballing brain..we can only hope he will be as good as luka..:D

8. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Austrian Football Association declared that Mateo could play for Austria..he was born in Linz..and also said that they will wait him until U-21...they believe in him as true talent...in Croatia they call him "Croatian Messi"...but FC Dinamo Zagreb coach Vaheed Halilhodzic ^^ said: "He not Croatian Messi, he never good like Messi, media silly and bad. Me know lot very talented footballers that gone because of media. Bad media, just bad media" ^^

I don't know also how can Croatian media contribute positive on Kovacic's future...he is under pressure...but Halilhodzic also protects himself declaring that FC Dinamo Zagreb is under constant pressure, that he can't work...but true issue is the discipline of players...he gave them after Croatian cup game free time in the evening...and told them that they must finish their hang-out until 11PM...but Leandro Damián Cufré, Jorge Sammir Cruz Campos, Adrián Daniel Calello, Pedro Morales Flores :D came back home at 4 AM...5 hours - lack of beauty sleep...really Bad Blue Boys...very bad...they behave very bad...in one word - bad ^^

Croatian Association believes that Kovacic will choose Croatian team...it's silly that he chooses Austria, because he plays there...unless he waits better European club in future...or if Rapid Vienna, Austria Vienna or Sturm Graz hires him...Austria isn't so bad in football like before 5 years...they improve a lot...
    I haven't seen him also....he only traines with the first team...and has scored in Cup game against Hrvatski Dragovoljac I think...maybe he will get opportunity...when foreign players lose their place, because of their discipline

9. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I found one player that maybe has Croatian heritage. He plays in Ajax Orlando Prospects...this club is connected with Ajax Amsterdam.

Ajax Orlando Prospects were an American soccer team, founded in 2002. The team was a member of the United Soccer Leagues Premier Development League (PDL), the fourth tier of the American Soccer Pyramid, until 2006, when the team left the league and the franchise was terminated.
    The Prospects played their home games at Warden Stadium on the grounds of The First Academy, a Christian college preparatory school in Orlando, Florida. The team's colors were white, red and black.
    The team was part of the Ajax America organisation, an exclusive affiliate of the renowned Dutch football club AFC Ajax’s North American marketing and player development program.

Final Squad

vs Palm Beach Pumas, 22 July 2006 Note: Flags indicate national team as has been defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
    No. Position Player

2 FW Berin Boracic * maybe Croatian heritage

Anyone knows anything about him?:)

Leonardo Pisculichi - before I have heard that he is of Croatian heritage. But on Wikipedia is written: He's favorite club is Red Star Belgrade ( Crvena Zvezda Beograd )

Nicolás Miroslav Peric Villarreal - Nicolás Peric (born 19 October 1978 in Talca, Chile), is a Chilean goalkeeper who currently plays for Olimpia Asuncion in Paraguay. His nickname is Loco (crazy).

Way back in history
    Juan Elías Yustrich (9 July 1909 - 6 October 2002) was an Argentine football goalkeeper who won two league championships with Boca Juniors.
    Yustrich was born in Rosario, Argentina to Yugoslav parents, originally Justric.

Diego Armando Maradona - His parents are Diego Maradona Snr and Dalma Salvadore Franco. His father is of Mestizo extraction. His maternal great-grandfather Mateo Kariolić was born in Korčula, Dalmatia, today's Croatia (possibly then in the Austrian Empire), and emigrated to Argentina, where Maradona's grandmother Salvadora was born.[citation needed] Salvadora named her daughter Dalma after the Croatian region, after whom Maradona named his eldest daughter.

José Rafael Meza Ivankovich (1930's) Costa Rica Player.

Fabián Cancelarich (born 30 December, 1965 in Santa Fe) is a former football goalkeeper from Argentina.
    Cancelarich started his club career in 1986 with Ferro Carril Oeste in the Primera Division Argentina. Cancelarich served as the reserve goalkeeper for Argentina during the 1990 FIFA World Cup.[1] In 1991 he was part of the Argentina squad that won the Copa América.In 1992 he was transferred to Belgrano de Córdoba and in 1994 he played for Newell's Old Boys.
    In 1995 Cancelarich moved to Colombia to play for Millonarios, but he soon returned to the Argentine primera with Huracán 1995-1996 and Platense 1997-1999.
    In 1999 Cancelarich returned to Ferro, the club where he started his career, after this final spell in the Primera Cancelarich moved to 2nd division Central Córdoba in 2000. In 2002 Central Córdoba were relegated to the 3rd division, Cancelelarich stayed with the club until his retirement in 2004.

Jose Manuel Babak (born April 22, 1988) is a Paraguayan football midfield who currently plays for 2 de Mayo.

Pablo Andretich - Club Atlético Chacarita Juniors

José María Buljubasich (born 12 May 1971 in Firmat, Argentina) is an Argentine football player who currently plays for Club Olimpia of Asuncion, Paraguay and has also played in Spain and Mexico and other teams in Chile, he reached the top of his career in his current club. He has also won two titles, one in Argentina and the other in Chile.

Luciano Pocrnjic

10. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    looks like borris vukcevic is most likely going to play for germany accoding to a recent interview he had with croatian media..

there is a young swede called tibor cica who plays in sweden who supposedly is the most talented youngster in sweden..he has played i believe 2 games for under 17 croatia..

11. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    To bad..That's third player in recent past that choose to play for another country...Bilos...Gregory Sertic...and now Vukcevic....

12. ANTE OREB

ANTE OREB New Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ante oreb p

13. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Nico Peric is our current goalkeeper actually (club Cobreloa). He was Champion in Argentina 2 years ago (club Argentinos Juniors).

Buljubasich is not a goalkeeper anymore. He's working in Chile in the club Universidad Católica as football manager or something. He had a great season in 2005.

Chilean football players with Croatian heritage:

Nicolás Peric (Cobreloa)
    Yerko Darlic (San Marcos, champion with Cobreloa 2004)
    Milovan Mirosevic (Al Ain/United Arab Emirates, champion with Univ.Católica in 2010)
    Sebastián Karl Siminic (Al Amari/Palestine. Ex-Cobreloa)
    Marko Biskupovic (Univ.Católica)
    Alejandro Vrsalovic

Ex-Chilean football players:

Lukas Tudor Bakulic (3rd place with Chilean NT in the U20 WC 1987 in Chile)
    Jaime Lopresti Travanic.

There are 380,000 Chileans with croatian heritage(2.4% of the Chilean people). We are the 2nd country in the world with croatian descendents after Bosnia-Herzegovina. But most part of them don't play soccer on professional levels.

14. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'm not sure about the croatian roots of Pablo Herceg (former Chilean midfielder) and Pablo Vranjican (argentine forward, he played in Chile in 2009 and 2010).

15. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I know that Chile has many Croatian people...Antofagasta..Tierra del Fuego..Santiago de Chile..Concepcion..Vina del Mar is very beautiful city..:)

Have you heard about Ivo Bassay Hatibovic..he wanted to come in Croatian league...but nothing came out of it...
    Croatians abroad don't play football alot...they rather choose..science..art..economics..poetry....politics..comitees...

Italy for example has large community in the world..Argentina..Chile...Uruguay..Australia...etc..they have many footballers that have Italian heritage...

16. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Pablo Herceg sounds like Croatian :D
    Pablo Vranjican...these are last names from northern territories...Zagreb, Zagorje, Prigorje...Medjimurje..or Kvarner (Rijeka, Opatija), or maybe Istra...but it has Czech, Hungarian sound also..hard to tell...we must explore that..:D
    If you put Vranjican in Google...some people are born in Dalmacija..Split..Croatians in Chile or Argentina have mainly roots from Dalmacija, Istra...Bosnia & Herzegovina...

The problem is with FIFA Jaime...because they won't let these players to play for Croatia...if their grandfather isn't born in territory of Croatia...for example Dario Cvitanich...has obvious croatian last name...but his grand grandfather is born in Croatia...so he can't play for Croatia...
    I think that this is stupid rule...because some Croatian communities are very closed in world...and they marry with Croatian people...so that they have clean line through 3,4 generations...only ther place of birth is Chile, Argentina..Australia..

I know one guy from Argentina..both of his parents are born in Argentina...but they both have direct Croatian roots from both sides...he isn't professional footballer though :)

17. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, I was born in Viña del Mar.

Basay is very famous, he played in Chile, Argentina, France and Mexico, and was NT player in 1986-1997. Now is the F.C.O'Higgins's coach.

18. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

Bassay played for Colo Colo also....El Eterno Campeon :D I think that this club is most famous outside of Chile...Croatian coach, who trained also Croatian national football team..Mirko Jozic, trained also Colo Colo

Have you heard about this player..Pablo Andrés Abdala Kovasevic...
    Pablo Abdala (born May 6, 1972 in Rosario, Argentina) is a naturalized Palestinian football midfielder. But he has also last name that sounds like Croatian...

Most games he played for Cobreola - Chile 138 games..

Pablo Vranjicán is of Croatian descent and holds the Croatian passport..:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Vranjicán

Pablo Vranjicán (born 11 December 1985 in Acebal) is an Argentine football striker who plays for Universidad Católica in Chile.

Sandrino Castec is notable player of Universidad de Chile...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.F._Universidad_de_Chile
    He has also Croatian citizenship

Leonardo Drugovich (born April 21, 1989 in Gremio de Maringá, Brazil) is a Brazilian footballer currently played for clubes of Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Spain. Maybe Croatian

19. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    ¿Eterno Campeón? hahaha, no please, don't say that bs, is not true!
    We're their "DADDY" (COBRELOA). Colocolo and 99% of the Chilean clubs have a negative record against us.:cool:
    Basay was a complicated forward, very violent sometimes.

Instead Pablo Abdala, he was a kind of "idol" in my club in the latest 90's until 2002, when he left Cobreloa. He was a warrior midfielder and he was our captain many times. His wife is northern Chilean.

Vranjican did a great 2009 season, but 2010 in Univ.Católica was a disaster for him.

Sandrino Castec too? Oh, I thought he had French roots or something. He was a popular forward in the 80's, with Héctor Hoffens, in Univ.de Chile.

Leonardo played in Univ.de Concepción I think. He didn't do anything great.

20. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Eterno Campeon is their Nickname...:D It's written on Wikipedia... :) Sorry for that..:p

I saw Bassay maybe, 2,3 times on TV...not as a player...but he was massive...tall...long hair he had I think...

I dont know these players Abdala...Bassay..from their football past...but saw informations online...

Sandrino Castec...
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandrino_Castec

You can see Croatian flag on the right side...Dual citizenship...I assume that this isn't error...Castec sounds like French...but maybe its changed...from Kastic..or Kasic...or Kustec...or maybe his mother has Croatian heritage...
    never heard of him before...but he must been a good player...80's had a great football...same as 90's...
    These new generations Chileanos - Croatians can't play for Croatia...because they are maybe fourth or fifth generation in Chile...Fifa has a rule...that grandfather must be born in land for you wish to play...or play in their league...3,4 years...but nobody wants to come in Croatian league...:D

21. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Not tall at all, only 1,71. But he was a dangerous forward, great headkicker as Zamorano and Salas.

Milovan Mirosevic's goal against Argentina (2003) (01:40):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNpMPl8ZlTM&feature=related"]YouTube - Argentina 2 / CHILE 2 Eliminatorias Alemania 2006 2/2[/ame]

22. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  23. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Another Chilean former players with south-slavic heritage:

Michel Atanasovici (forward in the 80's)
    Farid Hatibovic (forward in the 90's)

24. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Michel Atanasovici sounds Croatian...ha changed a little bit his surname...original is Atanasović for sure...

Farid Hatibovic is Muslim first and last name...I think he is from Bosnia...because Ottoman Empire had strong influence in that country...I know that Ivo Bassay has also Hatibovic in his name..are they related?

25. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, Farid Hatibovic is Ivo Bassay's uncle.