Footballers that are hard to dislike

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by unclesox, Nov 16, 2018.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Everyone has their favorites but who are some players that you have rarely heard a bad word said about.

I'll start off with...

Carles Puyol

Gigi Buffon

Iker Casillas

Pavel Nedved

Gabriel Batistuta

Gaetano Scirea

Dino Zoff

2. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Roberto Baggio
    Andres Iniesta
    Luka Modric
    Ronaldinho
    Isco
    Okocha
    James Rodriguez

carlito86 repped this.
  3. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nedved was disliked a bit by Juve's rivals. Sometimes seen as a diver, and his tackle on Figo didn't endear him to Inter fans

4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Iniesta
    Xavi
    Mata
    David Silva

Spring to mind ..

5. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    He's N'Golo Kanté.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Particularly agree on Scirea, Kante, Mata, probably Baggio, Iniesta, and I'd think Zoff and Silva too.

Some others that come to mind:
    Cafu
    Gilberto Silva
    Juninho Paulista
    Robert Pires
    Kingsley Black
    Viv Anderson (even though he admitted he'd commit a professional foul in a book IIRC, which at the time drew some criticism)
    Bobby Moore
    Steve Stone
    Joao Carvalho

At times I've felt otherwise about Casillas, and Batistuta back in his playing days too but maybe I'm on a different page to the majority there I don't know and it could be a case of mis-conceptions even.

I'm not saying they'd join my 'agree' list necessarily, but without the Tony Adams incident maybe I'd not rule out Isco and Modric so easily (again maybe impressions can be worse than intentions, but they seemed at least very annoying and at most completely disrespectful at that moment from what I saw of it- maybe they forgot they could be spotted and were just having fun between themselves though I suppose!).

wm442433 repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh also Andriy Shevchenko. Random choice - maybe Vegard Heggem! And why not Jerzy Dudek? Georgi Kinkladze too I think certainly.

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I suppose I could go on with more and more ideas, but I'll stop after this!

Rafael van der Vaart (his reaction re: Fabrice Muamba coming to mind)
    Claude Makelele (seems to be fondly remembered as a person as well as player by team-mates when making all-time 'Perfect XI' selections etc)
    Sandor Kocsis
    Nandor Hidegkuti

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Maybe it's a country/ culture thing ??

I'd say the majority of Spanish players seem to be respectful and well mannered... whilst the South Americans seem kinda unpredictable and volatile ..

10. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    #10 wm442433, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    I agree on Bati, I think that I see what you mean. Moreover England had Shearer at this time (pre-2000s right?) and for exemple from my point of view, France had had Papin in a recent past so why all the fuss around him.
    He was also the favorite of many people so the reaction : yeah, he's good, why him more than another one cf? He was not particularly a very technical player too and had no so much menaingful international highlights.
    Later on, I failed to see how Casillas was so likeable, so good and so superior to other keepers, like keepers from a recent past too, but that was me too. It took me some time to see that he was one great keeper though I would not rate him that high still (in an AT ranking, I suppose, if i'd have to make one).[/QUOTE]

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, wm, maybe those two (Batigol and Casillas) are the two most 'marmite' types mentioned, so maybe not so much to our tastes or something. It can be like you say that others are more a fan of their style, but as far as 'likeable' goes maybe those showed at times more attitude/aggression than others named (at the time when I myself was I guess more invested in England as a team, Batistuta's willingness for Beckham to get sent off in '98 might have put a black mark in my mind too lol, but I guess it wasn't an unusual reaction in such a game really even though Simeone had initially been the aggressor in the situation).

I think Batistuta wasn't too well lately or something though? Of course I wish him the best for a good recovery from any problems he has. I think he had a kind of 'Roy of the Rovers' appeal in some ways, being capable of spectacular strikes and scoring a lot of goals so I can see how he got a fanbase (not so different to Shearer in that way actually). I had thought there was one particular incident with Casillas misbehaving but forget what it was now exactly.

wm442433 repped this.
  12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In fact on the contrary Xavi is a VERY easy player to dislike
    He comes across as extremely arrogant and self conceited individual to me
    I understand how he is universally loved by Barcelona fans but you have to think out of the box mate

13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree. I'm a Barcelona fan and I loved that he was on 'my' team. But I can understand why he could be disliked by neutrals.

I listed Batitusta mainly because when Fiorentina was relegated in '93 he could have easily asked for a transfer and the club most likely would have understood and accommodated him. Instead, he decided to help them regain their Serie A status. I gained much respect for him for that and, for me, he could almost do no wrong afterwards.

carlito86 repped this.
  14. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Ronaldinho, R9, Kaka

carlito86 repped this.
  15. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Some peruvians considered as gentlemen, inside the field: Chumpitaz, Cubillas, Julio Melendez, Lolo Fernandez

16. Viola Star

Viola Star Member

Fiorentina
    Italy
    May 9, 2006
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Diego Forlan
    Gianfranco Zola

17. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Santi Cazorla

TitoTata and Edhardy repped this.
  18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Great shout !
    I’d have gone for him before he signed for Arsenal ( and when he left them !)

19. The Snudge

The Snudge New Member

Toronto FC/Dumbarton FC
    Scotland
    Jun 27, 2019
    Andy Robertson! Came from nothing and worked hard and stays grounded.

20. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  21. Viola Star

Viola Star Member

Fiorentina
    Italy
    May 9, 2006
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kanu

Edhardy and TitoTata repped this.
  22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    for 2-3 mins Thierry Henry was universally liked/loved by all PL fans

I realise that affection and admiration did not spread to Ireland but its still worthy of an inclusion IMO

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I thought he’d tarnished his name with that stupid handball against the Irish ?