Football Manager, Part II

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by TheImposter, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a big weekend with WWSM. It is 2023 and I am still with FC Bayern. We just did the trebble winning the European Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup. I now have over 900 manager points in the hall of fame. After the big season I was considering stepping down in favor of a tougher job in a bigger league. However all the top positions stayed filled over the off-season. So I'll see what becomes available this season.

Brazil requested I fill their head coach vacancy. So I accepted. How can you turn the chance of a second World Cup down? South American qualifying is starting shortly.

2. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Indeed, the 'try-and-buy' version is the full game, it's just limited in how long gamewise you can play before you pay. And you can pick up the 'demo' game right up again after you do with no hassles, just be careful about what offical patches you get because apparently it needs a different one from the 'box' game.

3. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    2023? Whoa. Are any original players still left in the game?

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only as coaches. Beckham is coaching England I think. Shay Given had a really long career, almost until 40 with 800 + matches. He is the longest serving I've seen. Most original managers are out of the game I think. Martin O'Neil is still in there. Heck, I'm even up to 52 or something. :)

5. Acidman

Acidman New Member

May 30, 2005
    Dundee -_-
    Hi, does anyone here know if theres a patch or something that lets you play as the Japan national team, thanks

6. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    I have a problem with my FM2006. My game seems to crawl at an amazingly slow speed and i wondered if anybody knows a remedy i.e. a patch.

The pc i play it on is fine because the game is the only thing i have on it, i use that pc just for playing fm2006 so there is no junk on it to slow it down, i also play with the biggest database, plus i have 9 leagues running (All english leagues, La liga and Serie A) but im sure thats not the problem either because thats the same amount i had for fm2005 and that ran fine.

Any help would be good. Thanks.

Abel Enrique Aguilar is a good signing by the way, im in my second season and picked him up as a free agent, immedietley worth 2million and only wanted 4grand a week.

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What specs are the machine you're running?

The HUGE database setting can crush even the fastest machines.

If anything 2006 should run better then 2005.

Does this happen as soon as you start a new game, or after an extended period of time?

Does it happen each and every time?

8. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    Thats what i find weird, i had the biggest database on fm2005 and the same amount of leagues and it ran fine, yet 2006 runs at a snails pace. Although i dont no the exact spec of my pc (its a custom built monster of a pc) im assured by the person who built it for me that it has more than enough of every thing that is needed for it to run smooth. From what i have heard from fellow 2006 users this version is the worst for bugs and faults than any other version in recent memory, 2005 was brilliant and luckily i still have my copy ( i normally give them away as i upgrade from year to year) im just very annoyed because i cant see why a series can go backwards so much when they havent made any major forward strides from 2005 to 2006, they are almost the same game, merely an update. I know on this message board and others aswell SCI games have denied any real problems with the 2006 version but in reality there are many. I shouldnt have to download patches of the internet to improve a game i have already bought.

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just started a new game with Man U in WWSM '05. I'm not really sure why, but I did it. I didn't have any time to play last night so I don't have any great results to talk about. I decided 2023 or wherever I got was far enough for now. Maybe I'll pick that game up again down the road, we'll see.

10. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There is a new patch out guys. v6.0.3

Check out www.sigames.com to get it.

11. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    I'm plaing as Crystal Palace, won the championship in the first season by 23 points! I ended with 111 from the 46 games. My top scorer was a 28-year old Bolivian striker I signed for 250k, now valued at 2.9m (Roger Suarez - don't know if he actually exists, finishing 20, composure 17). Now we're up with a new batch of coaches, improved training facilities, and great new signings: Collen of Feyernood, Didier Zokora (an arm and a leg) and Lyon's 3rd keeper Ver-something, in addition to a load of young free signings. We're staying up, I have no doubt in my mind! The only player we've lost was Fitz Hall to Fulham for 2.9m pounds.

The young players Palace have: Watson, Soares, McAnuff, Tom Lyons...they're just brilliant. I watched Palace vs Stoke a few nights ago (in the real world :) ) and they're actually a decent batch of youngsters.

12. kjo199

kjo199 Member

Mar 29, 2005
    NYC
    hey guys. i started playing WWSM around christmas. pretty good game but i took a job at Canvey Island in Conference National and i haven't won yet in 15 games. Just 3 draws. I guess that's what i get for starting out unemployed as there weren't any good jobs available.

Anyway, found this on youtube. funny stuff of someone playing football manager a little too serious.;) :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upfd377Q1Rc&search=football fan violence

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is beyond hilarious. i'd get pissed playing with partick too, though. seriously, i've been known to get pretty upset when my players do stupid crap. it's mostly just yelling though, although i have slammed my fist down on the desk a few times. like two days ago, i was outshooting my opponent 36-3. tevez, santa cruz, and rooney all failed to put even ONE of those in, and i manged to lose 1-0. i can't say i've ever gotten that rabid though.

14. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a put on video but regardless, we've all been pretty frustrated at some point and it's nice to see someone completely spaz out.

15. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah.. playing as my beloved United I win the league two years running and get to the CL final in both, finally winning it my last to claim the double.

However, at the start of my third season after about 13 games I was in 18th position with 1 win............ :mad: for no apparent reason. Anywho, I quit and go to Betis, now I am taking them from 18th position to currently 12th after about 5 games. Brought in some good players hoping to take it far.

But has anyone played in Spain and notice that every single game you can change the numbers? I like to autonumber and it makes it come up almost every time, it is annoying like crazy...

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started a new game recently with Man U as well. After 15 or 20 seasons and winning everything once, I decided it was time to move on. :) With Man U I put my infamous 4-2-3-1 to practice. In the first season I finished 3rd with not much aclaim. Scholes and Rooney did ok in that central forward role but I don't think they had the passing or creativity. Arsenal ran away with the title. Since I'm in WWSM '05 I think they're first couple seasons are hard to overcome since the game starts right after the undefeated season.

In year two RVN was on fire, scoring 48 goals in all competitions. However, I couldn't muster a better finish then last season. This time around I did bring home some silverware in the form of the League Cup and the FA Cup. The board and fans weren't totally pleased but I kept the job. I also signed Totti from Roma on a free in the summer after the second season. Now I'm kicking off the third with the perfect center forward for the 4-2-3-1. Totti's creativity and vision will certainly bring Premiership glory, and on a free.

Rooney hasn't been performing that well as the lone striker while RVN and Saha apear to love the role. Ronaldo got sick of me and wanted to be sold, so I moved him for $42 million in the off season. I'm wondering if I shouldn't do the same with Rooney. We'll see.

17. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    In middle of 2nd season w/ Hertha and Everton, I'm doing quite well considering how much work I have.

For Hertha, I'm middle of a Bundesliga winning season, have a 12 pt lead over Bayern with 11 weeks to go. As for Champions League, i beat Rangers at Ibrox 0:4 in first leg. Marko Pantelic is on the way to scoring the Golden Boot, he has 29 goals in the League!!! My defense has been shutters, led by Martin Skrtel and the best Bosman ever, Carlo Cudicini.

For Everton, I had much defensive struggles in the beginning. Due to Chelsea and Liverpool wondering about my defender Joseph Yobo, I had to put him no transfer list and lost 14 mio euros on him; I could have sold him for 20 to Chelsea, but was forced to sell him for only 6 to Celtic! :eek: My back four consisted of Neville--Spector--Kroldrup---Nuno Valente. Then Kroldrup got injured for 6 mths, so had to bring in a U19 player, who then got injured. Then I had to callup my 18 yr old Faroese International Defender, Johann Davidsen, who has promptly turned into my revelation. He played really well before I loaned him out to Cardiff in the Winter Break because I bought Dario Simic and Danny Mills for a combined 7.5 mio euros. Meanwhile, James Beattie has 20+ goals, Cahill has 15 and Everton are 3rd again! (1st season I finished 3rd too). However, in CHampions League 1st round, I got trounced by Adriano 6-0...he scored all 6!! :eek:

One question...why do Arsenal suck so much in this game? :confused:

18. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal currently leader the EPL in the third season in mine.

Also, how do you have two teams? You play with two managers? I guess that is good for loans and stuff, but that seems alot of work!

19. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Actually have many more teams (Willem and German NT and Ipswich too :eek:). But I manage. When I'm at my workstudy, I just play for 3 hrs, and that I'll cover a month.

20. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I decided to go for a real challenge, so I began at Histon (the favourites to be relegated from the Conference South in England). I picked up a few good signings and managed to get us into 2nd place, since Weymouth ran away with it all... we did win promotion through the playoff, though. I also got through to the FA Cup 3rd round, which saw the clubs funds go from £100k-ish up to £500k.

In my second season, my best striker (Andy Parton - had over 30 league goals last year) got a 'serious viral infection' in the preseason and will be out until at least February :(. Luckily I stumbled across teenager who bagged be a good 16 goals by the end of December, but now he has done his knee ligaments in and will be out until a little into next season :(. We are in 14th in the Conference, so right now it's about staying in there and strengthening the squad... getting more good players and getting rid of the weaker ones, then making a push for promotion next season with 2 solid strikers (we have dominated most teams this year, but only score about 1-in-7/8 attempts due to the injuries). Also managed to get through to the 4th round of the FA Cup after beating Yeovil in extra-time of the replay. We only got Huddersfield (I wanted a Premiership team BADLY), but we'll get some cash from it which means more good players/training facility investment for next year. :)

21. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Not much traffic round these parts any more...

Just thought I'd give the completed story. I won the Champions League with Crystal Palace! Year is 2010. Lineup:

--------------De Sanctis--------------------
    Bonera---Gonzalo--Vanden Borre---Grosso
    ---------------Zokora/Cabaye--------------
    ----Gasbarroni-----------------Ben Arfa----
    ------------------Alex-----------------------
    ---------------Owen---Fernando Genro----

UNSTOPPABLE!

I haven't won the league yet, but I'm now 14 points clear in the 2010-11 season. I got Defoe, Baptista, some gem called Distel Zola and Lorenzo Di Silvestri over the summer. This is both the greatest team I've built and my greatest achievement, taking a team from the Championship to winning the Champions League in 4 years. I'm so proud.