Football Manager, Part II

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by TheImposter, Jun 3, 2005.

1. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too. it's the '08-'09 campaign. i'm managing wednesday, now the top club in england, won the prem twice, and i just sold eddie gaven (21 yrs old now) to liverpool for $30M... he was only valued at 8.4M. they wanted to know how much i would sell him for, and i threw it out there. he was developing so nicely, i didn't really want to sell him, but if they would pay 30M for him, what the hell.

my #1 lineup looks something like this:

--------vonlanthen-----------mokoena

nakamura---------donovan----------wilhelmson

-------------------guarin

ashley cole---nigel de jong---tomas hubschman---sun jihai

my #2 lineup has players like veron, mirosevic, cavenaghi, adu, petter vaagan moen, andres felipe gonzalez, spector, and a young wing-back out of holland named van putten.

mokoena finished 2nd last year for player of the year to mauro esposito of newcastle. it was an absolute sham that mokoena didn't win. he had 29 league goals (more than 10 over second place), and was even some .2 or .3 higher in overall rating. shunsuke nakamura won the award the year before.

i picked up donovan on a free from leverkusen this past offseason... his value with wednesday is now listed at 44M, and his salary is a rather robust 5.6M/year.

hillsborough has been expanded to 55k+, my payroll budget is 136M while my actual payroll is only around 63M, my transfer budget (after the gaven sale) is 83M.

2. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Jesus, Vincent Kompany is crazy good in FM06. After a really crap 2nd season as Valencia, I signed him and am now not only undefeated at December 1st but have also won every match save a home draw against Dortmund in the Champions' League.

They seem to have really given the CONCACAF players a boost in this one - the USA is full of great youth prospects, and the Mexican national team is crazy good (Kikin Fonseca is an almost perfect target man and Ochoa becomes almost as good as Casillas after a few seasons).

3. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Leo Messi is ridiculous in FM06. It's midway through December and his average rating is a 9. That's like a Maradona level of domination.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After almost a full season at the helm of Valencia I all of a sudden got the axe. I had the team in the top three of La Liga and one day I was fired. Came out of no where. I was very surprised. I think it is because I offered one of my rotation players to a bunch of clubs after I had paid $20 million for him in the off-season from my old club, Boro. Not sure.

I landed on my feet quickly. Around the same time as my sacking the FC Bayern job opened up. I haven't coached in Germany yet so I jumped at the chance. Another rich club, with an impressive youth system and great support. At the time I took over, with 4 league matches remaining, they were in second place in the Bundesliga. I won those 4 matches and Shalke stumbled in their last two so I stole the title.

In the off-season I spent a good amount of cash to stregthen for a European Champions League run. I'm currently in December of the 18/19 season and I made it out of a tough group; Chelsea, Betis & Milan. In the first knockout stage I was gifted with a northern European team I should be able to handle...I hope.

I've had a great run in the Bundesliga as well. I'm top of the table, clear by 8 points halfway through the season. I've only allowed 11 goals while scoring 30+. I don't want to say the race is over, but in 18 matches I've lost 3 and drawn 2. Things are looking good for another league title.

5. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I'm manager of Hertha BSC and Everton right now. I'm in the middle of February.

Hertha are 1st in die Bundesliga, 8 pts ahead of Bayern. Top scorer: Yildiray Basturk. I bought Slovakian international center back Martin Skrtel for a mere 100K, he's a steal, definitely get him, he's only 20. Another steal is Sweden U-21 Pontus Wernblom, he's going to be a great DM prospect for you, only 19 and he's already a squad member.

Everton are 3rd in the EPL. James Beattie and Marcus Bent inexplicably have 22 goals between them, Tim Cahill in 21 games (he's been jaded and needed much rest) still has 22 goals total. Leon Osman and James McFadden have been in great form, Kroldrup and Yobo as well in defense. Got a 23 million pound offer for Cahill and Yobo from Manchester United, rejected both.

Had a brief spell as Slovenian NT coach but couldn't cut it and got fired after 4 games.

Btw, is there a patch for the German NT?? I can't manage it and none of the real players play. :(

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    To get the German NT you need to delete the file fake.inc

It is found under Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2006\data\db\inc\all

7. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Will it work in the middle of a game?

8. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Yes - it worked fine in mine.

9. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but it might take some time for the real players to show up in the team.

You don't have to delete the file. You can find a replacement at most of the big FM fan sites that not only fix that issue but also adress other problems related to license issues.

10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, like i've posted in the "teams you've managed" thread, i'm playing with runcorn fc halton right now and i've got them sitting pretty in a playoff spot in league 2. anyway, the point of this post was to say that my keeper just scored a goal. hilarious. i'd never seen it before. it was towards the end of the game and i was leading by one, so the other team was pushing their defenders up. my keeper kicked from the edge of his box and it sailed over all the defenders, landed about 25-30 yards from goal, and bounced over the on-rushing keeper who was trying to beat my lone forward to the ball. ...i'll take it.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, i'm getting really pissed. for those of you who played '05, how do you get around your board being complete morons? see, i'm trying to sign xabi alonso and carlos tevez and my board and ass-man "don't think signing them would be worthwile." trust me, my available salary is enough to cover them, and they'd be willing to come here, but they don't think i have the resources to cover their demands. my board is only allowing me to offer them 1.4M/year when i have the funds to offer upwards of 7M/year. i got pissed and fired my assistant coach, but the board still won't allow me offer anything higher than 1.4M. it's ridiculous! i can't sign anyone (well, they thought wayne rooney would only be a fringe player, but they at least let me offer him $5M/year). is this just a massive flaw that never got fixed? they probably wouldn't think pele was worthwile either.

12. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother just sent me this game as a late bday gift. Unfortunately he bought it via eBay and it's from Thailand so I have no worthwhile directions. Is there a good FAQ somewhere?

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you made a board request for more wages?

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some forums.

Here is the company website.

Here is a guide written by one of the game's creators. This is much better than the manual the game comes with.

15. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What version are you playing on? I know they tweaked it although I don't think that problem was ever fully fixed. Have you brought in a new Amgr? One with better ability to spot ability and potential? They also sometimes say that if you can't attract them for some other reason. That was a problem with their feedback in which it said that same message for a variety of possible reasons making it difficult to sort out why you couldn't sign the player.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, they refused, and then raised it from 1.35/yr to 1.4/yr when i issued an ultimatum. that's not really the issue though, cause i'm paying rooney 5M+ and the same with roque santa cruz and my overall salary budget is $69M. they trust my assistant manager's opinion over mine, when i'm the one who has taken the club from conference north to the premiership. they're stupid, ungrateful whores.

i never got around to getting '06, so i'm still on '05. i thought the same thing and thought the problem might be that the ass-man wasn't able to spot talent (his scouting abilities are 13 for ability and 13 for potential), so i fired him. i tried it again without an ass-man and it was the same result. so i offered one of my scouts (19 for both categories) the ass-man position. once he accepted, i tried it again, and it was just more of the same. and my club reputation is only continental, so i definitely shouldn't have outgrown the likes of those players. i mean, it's not like i'm in desperate need of these players, but if you have the opportunity... you know? it'd be nice to have alonso's long range efforts clean up the mess when rooney plows his shots right to the keeper.

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that you are on FM05. I meant what version number of that game are you playing. In other words, have you applied all of the updates? I'm asking because I was involved in beta testing those updates and I know that there were tweaks (not full fixes) for that issue.

My other point was that sometimes the game gives you that "don't think signing them would be worthwile" message if there is some hidden reason why the player won't move to your club. For example, if there is a reputation gap, if the player is unlikely to meet work permit req, etc. you sometimes see the "don't think signing them would be worthwile" message even though that isn't a good description of the problem. SI knew about that issue but never fixed it.

My advice is to move on to another player if changing astmgr hasn't worked. One note on that though. You said you made a scout the astmgr. However the game doesn't just look at the staff's skill but also their reputation. In other words, a astmgr with lower stats but a higher reputation will usually do better than one with great stats but a low reputation. Also, have you had the player scouted again? I know that sometimes a player that comes up as not worthwhile on the first scouting will get a better report on a second one and the board will allow you to offer more wages.

One other issue is your bank balance. Sometimes you can have salary room but the board will limit spending because your balance has fallen. This can happen when your wage budget goes up after a good season brings in some cash (even if that cash is really just from a one time source like a sale of a top player) and the user signs a bunch of players at fairly high wages, has to pay to release people, etc. Once your budget falls below a cutoff, the board reads that as a problem and restricts wages you can offer even if they don't change the overall wage budget.

The last point is it is possible that you really don't need them. I've seen players sign a dozen 1st team strikers get ticked because the board restricts their ability to add another half dozen. You aren't one of those guys with 100+ players are you?

18. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my bad. yeah, it's been fully patched.

that's a good point. my assman was continental and the scout was local.

this, i shall try again.

well, the 69M budget was from the previous year and i was 30M under budget the entire time. i just finished up that season and i'm in that period before the figures come out for next season. with all the money i've made (cup competitions and league standing... not from ticket sales; my stadium is just under 20k). i'd imagine my budget will be pushed above the 100M mark for next year.

this could be possible. i'm not the type that has 100+ players, but i do make sure that i have at least 2 full squads. i remember seeing that i had 15 or around there listed as "key players," but i know none of them expressed unhappiness last season from lack of playing time. they all played about one game a week. basically, i make sure i'm about 3 deep at every position (not counting the youth, of course), with that 3rd string being listed as backup players.

thanks for the tips... it is appreciated.

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i went ahead and had them scouted... both of them, as well as freddy guarin, nigel de jong, john terry, and bastian schweinsteiger are apparently nowhere near the quality to be on this team. my scouts must think that my team is made of immortal soccer gods.:p

i guess it's alright... andres felipe gonzalez and mokoena were also "not worth signing," but they agreed to come anway even though i had to sign them as "hot prospects."

20. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a really dumb newbie question. How do you get the yellow lines showing the runs that the player will run. For example:

[​IMG]

Also, I think I will become extremely addicted to this game...

21. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Right click on the player and drag him to the direction you want to.

22. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Are there any differences between FM and Worldwide Soccer Manager?

23. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the title.

24. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Thanks man. I think I'll order it today. Hopefully I'll have control over my addiction this time.
    :)

Is the try and buy any good? I was planning on just ordering the game from amazon.

25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. If it is the full game and actually works, I would think it would be great. Let us know.