Football Manager, Part II

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by TheImposter, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the activity stays the same, but you just find out about it alot more.

The online game sounds great, will be good to test our wits against other real people. Shouldnt we restrict players like bierofka etc. like maybe allow only the 2 smallest teams to vie for him

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just crushed the Arse in the CL Semis first round match at home 5-0 and then play Totenham away and go down 2-0 and then 3-1 the league was all but sewn up but I was still pissed, que comeback... we win at a canter 5-3 with the match commentator going nuts... saying crap like "The streak lives" (I've won 34 matches in the prem in a row now) and "Can they be beaten?"

Now I get to humiliate the Arse by playing a U-23 side against them in the Library and still defeating them!

3. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait until the next FM. Arsenal's kids getting the right ratings. ManU with massive debts and strikers unable to score. Board rejecting Fergie's transfers. Required preseason friendlies in Florida. Should be fun. :p

4. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    If they're going that realistic, they'll have to include Pires getting the cold from repeatedly diving on the rainy water-logger Library pitch, Ashely Cole begging Chavski to come get him, and eventually the reality that Henry leaves the club if you fail to win the CL in 05/06.

5. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    I Have heard nothing but great things about this game, only one problem.........

I cant find it anywhere!!!!! I live in the US (Houston, TX) and I cant find the game anywhere, does anyone in the US know of a place where I can get it? I also have a question..... Is the Mexican League in the game? I hate it that they get ignored by games like WE and Fifa. Are some of the more unknown players that do not play in Europe also in the game? Thnx in advance.

6. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes to almost all your questions... you can play in the Mexican league, and play in some pretty obscure leagues too. There is a ridiculous database of players you've never heard of.

Gamespot is your best bet for the game, but you will probably have to order it online.

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out their website: http://www.sigames.com/

The game is called Football Manager 2005 in the rest of the world and Worldwide Soccer Manager 2005 in the US. The games are identical. Gamestop.com used to sell it however I don't see it now. Look on eBay for Football Manager 2005. Make sure you buy a copy in an English language box.

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just make sure you're not looking for "football manager." here in the states it's called "worldwide soccer manager."

9. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    About the Database: on 'Huge' setting, you'll have Denis Oliech, Maurice Sunguti, John Muriuri, Mike Okoth, Musa Otieno and Ake but to name a few from Kenya. How's that for detail.

The database is amazing, really. So often you bump into someone online who has a friend in semi-pro football who's in the FM database.

And the depth of the game is quite amazing. You can be any type of manager: spend millions on Galacticos in their prime each season, sign 'rejects' towards the end of their careers and suck the last of their prime out of them, or go for youngsters and bring them up into stars... the most fantastic thing in this game is that there's no 'right' or 'wrong' ways of doing things, any style of play can work wonders if given utmost attention and devotion.

It's a gaming world milestone, a ground-breaking series. There's only two things wrong with it:
    1) It can get EXTREMELY frustrating
    2) It can make you sit infront of a screen overnight, easy.

Buy it, man.

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What gets ridiculous is when Clubs actually make Transfer moves in real life that you see in the Game first. In Football Manager (Champ. Manager) Barca bought Ronaldinho a year before it happened. Chelsea bought Peter Cech and Wayne Bridge before it happened. Man Utd signed Tim Howard, Heinze, even Cristiano Ronaldo before they happened in real life. I would swear that some of those Higher-ups MUST play Football Manager. I suspect Abramovich's Advisors do. Because Chelsea bought Carvalho, Makelele, Duff, and Cech as I said. All before it happened in real-life.

11. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree. I am constantly signing 2-3 guys who are valued at over 30+ mill every summer. I have a huge budget from signing free players and selling guys who have high value.

BTW, what part of Nairobi are you in? I was there near the YaYa shopping center for a mission trip from mid-May to late-May. Kenyans are the nicest people I've met...

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more leagues/divisions active the more player movement there is, I.E. less top-flight players available for ridiculously cheap.

13. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    :) I was at Yaya centre today.

I live in Kyuna estate, in the Westlands division of Nairobi. And yes, we're pretty cool guys :cool:

Dede, Dida, Fernando Torres.. just a few of the players whose clubs keep forgetting to renew their contracts.

14. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What I loved most about Kenya was how EVERYONE there knows their soccer/football. Here in America, I don't have many people to talk about football with. Everyone I met in Kenya were fans of Arsenal, Chelsea, or Man U.

I stayed at the Gracia Guest House right next to Yaya...

My favorite restaurant in Nairobi is the Naroibi Java House.

The only thing I didn't like about Nairobi is the non-stop traffic.

15. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Yeah, football is the biggest sport here, and considering how crappy our local league is, it's no wonder there's such great support for European, esp English, clubs. And people do know their football!

Sorry, don't know it.

One of the best restaurants in the world, IMO!! Their coffee is unbelieavable. BTW, some of the stuff you get at Starbucks is Kenya coffee, and I tasted it in Seattle last year. I can confidently say that Java House serve better coffee than Starbucks.

I suppose you were at the Yaya centre Java house. There's a couple of other branches too. You should have gone to the Yaya java house on a EPL match day, it's one of Nairobi's MUFC HQs! Always packed with my fellow reds. It's tough to find a place like that any more, what with all the '02' fans sprawling our streets...

:( No defence to that. The city's grown so fast, and our roads are miniscule. You can only escape the jam if you know your roads well.

You'd probably also notice the crime rate if you took a stroll around while you were here. Mobile phones, iPods, Laptops... all go in a flash. Hell, I'm on my 3rd mobile AND I LIVE HERE!!!

16. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The group I went with wouldn't allow us to leave the area past 6:30 pm because of the high theft/crime in the streets at night.

I remember having fun shopping at Nakumatt. That place has everything.

17. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    :) our very own Wallmart.

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i did something i'd never done before: have success coaching the USMNT - some of them are rated very poorly, and i'd never gotten past a group stage at any WC on any CM/FM game

since the new one will be out before too long, i grabbed the US for my final game on 05 - WCQ went well (qualified after 8 matches) and we finished runner up (to mexico) at the 05 gold cup

so we drew paraguay, morocco and poland in group A

2-0 over paraguay (early wolff winner, late LD capper)
    0-2 to morocco (don't ask)
    2-0 over poland (mcbride & JOB)

rd of 16 japan 1-1 (late LD equalizer, 4-3 PKs)
    QF brazil 0-0 (4-2 on PKs and we were down to 10 men at the hour)
    having not beaten them in 3 tries... semis mexico 2-1 (mcbride & lewis)
    lost the final 2-1 to italy, cassano with two goals (the winner coming off a lucky bounce)

it was kinda wild, has anybody else gotten that far with the US?

19. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, I've never made it a year with the US.

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    leading into the tourney, i was not hopeful because we couldnt ever get past mexico and friendlies against argentina and hungary went sour fast - the final friendly, we rallied from 2-0 down for a draw in holland... they just started playing out of their minds, i guess

21. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    God Damn! The depth of this game is amazing and continues to surprise me.

I just found that the Soccer AM Badgers are in the game, Tim Lovejoy, Rocket, John Wark and Paul Dalglish are all in there squad.

Pretty cool, anybody else found them?

22. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Fernando Torres and Adriano are gods!

Prior to this I have never had either of them at any of my clubs (due to crazy inflated values), but when I managed to sign Torres on a free, I splashed out on Adriano (after selling Wayne Rooney to Bayern for 35m pounds).

Literally, with no exaggeration whatsoever, between them they score at least 4 goals a game! Generally you're guaranteed a hat-trick from one in each game.

I play them ahead of what must be the best midfield I've ever assembled:

Sneijder-----------Schweinsteiger----C. Ronaldo
    ----------Xabi Alonso-------------------------

My defence is maybe slightly below par (it's good, but can't match the rest of the team):

Silvestre----Ferdinand----Brown----De Jong
    -------------Stekelenborg----------------

I'm thinking this is probably the best team I've ever assembled. Ferdinand and Silvestre are getting on in years (it's 2007) so I'm planning on banking in on them (for around 15 and 8m respectively) and going for the Chivus of this world.

But I post mainly to marvell at my strikers. They are outstanding. Top 2 scorers in all competitions I'm in! With 24 league games gone, Torres has 32 goals and Adriano, IIRC, 35!!!

23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i took them to the semifinals and lost in the 3rd place game. i beat italy 1-0 in the quarters... i swear it was like watching mls cup 2000 all over again. i got a first half goal and then held on through the barrage for the rest of the match. i knew it couldn't get any better than that and that's when brazil thumped me.

24. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the most Defensively astute midfield I've ever seen. We all know that Bastian Schweinsteiger [sarcasm]is a real hardman[/sarcasm]. (if by hardman you mean petulant, kicking machine). :D

25. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Is it just me, or is there too much of a home field advantage in this game? I am a noob to this game and have had it for about a week. I have a good team (talent wise, I would say on of the best) and ive gotten the hang of the managerial aspects of the game. The thing is that when I play at home, I win by around a 3 goals margin and when I am away I lose by a 3 goal margin. And I am using the same exact strategy in those games too. It has gotten to the point that now when I play away, I play 90% defensively in order to keep the opposing team from killing me. Its insane! I know that you have to change your gameplan a bit when playing away but don't think you need such a drastic change. Any seasoned veterans want to give me a hand?