Football Manager, Part I

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by The Potter, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Football Manager

Cool. I told them to fix the website just 45 minutes ago. Now if they can fix the bugs on Fm06 that fast... :D

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you already beta testing FM06?

3. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I looked through 'em too -- I like the contract and player conversation stuff, the training module looks like it might be easier to handle too. I hope for the team talk stuff they come up with a couple options other than "Embarassment" and "Role Model". How about some instructions, like "Get more involved", or just "Improve work rate" or something. I know it can't be too complicated, but I'd like something other than a binary choice or no comment at all.

4. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, we did beta the media comment editor before they released the v1.0 version to the public but as of now SI still has FM06 in house.

5. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah all of the new features are a work in progress. SI has already said that some of those screenshots are pretty out of date and represent early versions of those modules that have gone through significant changes. They are taking comments on them in the forums and from the beta testers so if you any ideas, questions, or problems with them you should join the forums and post them. I've already stated my concerns about the new training system. We'll just have to wait and see which way they go.

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What were your concerns about the new Training system? Not that I'm asking you to divulge secrets or anything ;)

7. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Having some huge problems in my second season with Sheffield Wednesday.

First season got promotion from L1 in second place (Hull ran away with the title), in the process making the FA cup semis, beating Portsmouth and taking Chelsea to a replay and losing 1-0 in the 89th.

Now I'm in the Championship and I'm just getting beat down. Seven straight losses to start the season, and suddenly I'm not even good enough to beat Torquay away in the League Cup. I wanted to make lots of signings to help me survive, but the board will only give me 150k...that's 30k less than I got in L1! So I'm left with decent loan signings who are just not performing...we're talking players who are 3x better than my usual starters getting 4s and 5s.

What can I do?

8. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wrote a long post on it over in the SI boards. I'll could try to find it but their search is useless. Basically, I had a bunch of questions about some design decisions that seemed to make the training easier but too simplistic and not at all realistic. My overall point was that the current training is broken and causes many players to just avoid it entirely by letting their Astmgr run it (with ok results at best) or using downloaded training and cheats. I like the idea of moving to a new training format but I think the one they showed was a case of "different but not better." They have said that it was an early version and, that while the new format will stay the same, they have made significant changes since those shots were done.

I'm in a wait and see mode until I get a beta to test. I have a feeling that new users and people just interested in tactics or transfers will like it but that older players and ones interested in developing their players will find it a bit too limited and artificial for their liking. We shall see.

9. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't like "tipping" but here are few general ideas for you. Tactics often need to be tweaked or even completely changed as you move up the promotion ladder. There is a pretty big jump from L1 and Coke league especially when you play against the recently relegated from the EPL. You might want to compare the talents of some of your current opponents to those you faced last season. That could give you a hint at what is the problem. For example, my Wolves played an open, short passing, attacking style in the coke league but I've had much more success in the EPL since going to a more defensive counter attacking tactic. Nearly the same players on my team but now facing a different league.

Without knowing more about your squad, changes since last season, and the current status of your key players, it is hard to say what the best move would be for you at this point in terms of squad management. How is the morale? What did you do during the offseason in terms of training and friendlies? Did you lose a player who featured for much of last season? Are you trying to get new guys to gel? There are simply too many unknowns. Half the fun of FM is dealing with these problems so try to stick it out and experiment with a few changes. However, don't go nuts because too much change is also a big problem.

BTW, cup and league form are really different in FM. I won the FA Cup while in the coke league because of this fact. Managed to knock out a Chelsea team with Adriano, Ronaldo, Aruna, Robben, etc and took out 2 other good EPL teams but now am having trouble keeping close to the top squads in the EPL following promotion. Your cup performance may have led you to overestimate your players and your tactic.

Good luck.

10. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Thanks for the help, after a couple months (season months) I'll post an update with players and such.

11. HalfManHalfAmazing

HalfManHalfAmazing New Member

Sep 13, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good luck brother. I got Erfurt promoted from the German Regional to the German 2nd division, and even with a STELLAR team which I would be proud to place in the EPL, I couldn't manage better than 6th place, no matter what tactic I tried. I got fired, quit because I couldn't get a good job, and now I'm at Nantes and having MAJOR problems.

I'd love to talk to anyone that's been able to win in Ligue 1. I've won in every league but Ligue 1.

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In the World Cup (06) with The Ivory Coast and I have received the injury bug.
    Bout to play a QF match against Belgium.

Eboué: Starting RB - 2 week injury (1 week left) - picked up against Germany
    Mahan: Starting LB - 2 week injury (2 weeks left) - picked up against Germany
    Akale: Starting LM - 1 week injury (2 days left) - picked up against Germany
    B. Kalou: Starting AM - 1 week injury - picked up in training
    Diabis: Reserve CB - 2 week injury - picked up in training

13. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Belgians pressing me hard.
    Penalty for me in the 25'
    ********! i missed.
    0-0 half time
    im in control since
    drogba!!!!!! 1-0! 66'
    ********! 1-1. fk in the 72' i tried going defensive right before it happened, but it didnt let me change my tactics in time
    Kone just misses the winner in the 90'
    2 subs left
    DROGBA!! 102'
    half time of extra time. put a DM in for an AM.
    DROGBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that puts it in the bag!
    semi finals here i come! ******** injuries!

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

winning 1-3 against germany in the final. i hit the post too.

4-1!!!!!!!!!

5-2!!! world cup winners! wooo.

i am going to leave the nation seeing as how i won the WC and african nations cup. idk if i will go to a club or another country. i need to see what offers i get.

15. Jules1

Jules1 New Member

May 11, 2005
    Moskwa

Can anyone help me with the following problem?!

When I create a specifiy training with my personel preferences it will not save, because the next time I will check my Training it will all be back to default?!

thanks in advance

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you have to click Confirm
    After you make the new schedule. Then apply it to the players.

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You do have to make sure you confirm the changes but that might not solve your problem. There is a bug that occurs if you have too many training schedules. It causes new schedules to default to a previous schedule in the drop down list. As far as I know there is no fix for this other than limiting the number of schedules you have.

18. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Anyone started a game in the lower divisions in Italy??? I would like to, and any info on squads with good support/budget would be helpful. Thanks!

19. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It has been awhile but here are some ones to consider:
    • Ancona (best of the bottom clubs but still a challenge)
    • Ravenna
    • Napoli (pretty easy for a club in next to bottom league, good finances and great support, easy to get promoted)
    If you are just looking for a club further down the ladder but not only looking at Italy then you might like:
    • York City
    • Hull City
    • Gretna in Scotland
    • Ec Novo Hamburgo in Brazil (pretty good support for their level and secure finances)
    • Carlisle United (very good support, but poor finances)
    • R.Antwerp in Belgium is fun but not far down (huge support and secure finances)
    • Rayo Vallecano de Madrid is probably the easiest to get promoted that is out of the top 2 levels for any country because it has cash

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cannon, can you explain a little about how FM looks at team support? Does the rating change over time? Is there anyway to look at the team support rating?

21. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wish I could but that isn't an area that I know a great deal about. I know that there is an average attendence rating and a max that can be set for each club with many clubs not having any value listed. How they are then assigned values is a bit of a mystery. Not sure, SI has ever really described it in any detail. I'm pretty sure that the club/league rep is involved as is the city (population, etc) but beyond that I don't know. Best ask on the SI forums. Researchers and the SI programmers would know better than me.

You can see the ratings by using one of the editors. There is also a nice rough guide to all the FM05 clubs floating around. Somebody took the values and put them in a excel spreadsheet. These values include club name, country, division at start of game, avg&max attendance, stadium capacity, and financial rating. Not sure which site you can find it at but it is one of the big ones so links on SI's site will do the trick.

Hope that helps a little.