Football Manager, Part I

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by The Potter, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diplomatique

diplomatique New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Re: Football Manager

I ordered FM. I dislike getting anything football related that has been bastardized for Amerricans and given the horrid "soccer" term.

Thanks to everyone for the advice on patches.

2. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the same term invented by the English?

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cisse is the man for Liverpool in 2008.

4. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In my current Wolves game, Leverkusen keep Donovan and sell Ponte. Donovan continues to be a great starter for them for years but Ponte gets the EPL title in his first year at Liverpool. :eek: ;)

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ok i am entering my third season with AJAX on FM05 - the second season was my best ever on any of these games; eredivisie champs, dutch cup champs uefa cup champs

attacking 433 w/ double #10's

GK: stekelenburg, adin brown

D: escude, heitinga, grygera, maxwell, seitaridis, de jong, kruiswijk, maduro

M: van der vaart, sneijder, gokdeniz, pienaar, guarin, o'brien, obodai

F: rosenberg, kerzhakov, rosales, mitea, soetaers, mokoena, de ridder

also, freddy adu got plenty of playing time at the end of the season, usually as a LW or AM - soetaers (17 goals! as a platoon player), mitea (8.5 avg. rating!), sneijder (19 goals!) and van der vaart have blossomed away from the nasty ronald koeman :D

for this season we picked up kone from roda on a free and bought alex from psv for 11M euro (grygera sold) - i expect to make a run at the CL this season and then have to sell stars like sneijder, maxwell and pienaar in the summer

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just beat Chelsea 3-1 to get into the 6th round of the FA Cup. I'll face Arsenal. Additionally I'm six points behind first place Chelsea in the league. There are 9 games left so it is going to be a tough championship to win. Fulham and Tottenham are between me and Chelsea but only by 2 points and I have a game in hand. It should come down to me and Chelsea.

I've made it to the second knockout round in the UEFA Cup. I just beat Genk in the first knockout round 4-1.

In the January transfer window I signed Xisco from Mallorca. He's already slotted into my formation well and scored a couple goals, one the game winner.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

manU buys donovan immediately in every game i run

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

funny, arsenal always buys him in mine. one time they even paid something like $32 million.

9. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's with ManU in my current game, but in the first FM2005 game I played I bought him when I was with Nottingham Forest -- he ended up not liking me (as did another top guy, Hatem Ben Arfa), and Liverpool came and snatched them from me on the last day of the January window on a guaranteed release clause. I got him back less than a year later when I took the 'Pool job!

10. diplomatique

diplomatique New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Colorado, USA

Being a (VERY) Newbie, I have only one complaint at this point: there is no way to make yourself a woman in the game. I know I'm a bit of an anomaly: being a 19 year old American girl who likes football (and even calls it football)and wants to play a football computer game . . . but it's a little disconcerting seeing "Mr." in front on my name.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You might be the first woman to play this game. :) Welcome to the club.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

OMG, the bigsoccer.com fantasy has come to life! Expect to be stalked. Or at least, the recipient of several marriage proposals.

13. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

diplomatique: you have a PM. Lots and Lots of PMs.

LOL :D j/k.

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gentlemen, she's in Denver...hands off. :D

15. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your not the first distaff member of the FM community. Others mentioned it but somehow the guys...emphasis on guys...at SI never got around to making an option to fix it. Basically all the text in the game would have to be rewritten to work for both sexes and I guess they decided that you and the 3 other women who actually tried the game weren't worth the effort. ;) :D

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are others!? :eek:

17. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

My girlfriend thinks Football Manager looks like the stupidest game ever made... she makes fun of me that I spend hours "watching dots move around the screen". My explanations about tactical nuances, the fun of searching for new players, and the glorious Cup runs fall on deaf ears... Accordingly, I am more than amazed to hear that a girl is a regular player of FM. I have never encountered this. I commend you diplomatique :)

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All of my friends say the same things. One friend calls it "Unix Soccer." :)

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

My wife says "Are you still whacking off watching your little men?" :(

20. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My fiance always complains about "DOT Soccer" too.

21. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

This thread is starting to sound like a support group! :)

22. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester

Cannon, I have proved myself!

I am playing as Southampton, and have qualified for the Champions League as runners up in only my second season! What's more, Liverpool only beat me to the title by 2 points, and Arsenal in 3rd were 9 points behind! My only signings were vanden Borre, Smertin and Veron. AND I'M USING MY VERY OWN TACTIC! Crouch is a god. It's very, very satisfying :)

23. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good for you. I'm glad you're having fun. Sorry I was a bit harsh in the past. Combo of pet peeve and bad timing but you got admit that its more fun winning on your own.

However, I hope your Saints go down in flames...finishing ahead of Arsenal? The nerve! ;) :D

24. diplomatique

diplomatique New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Colorado, USA

Boys, boys, boys. Settle down. Bonji, are you staking your claim? ;) Thanks for making me laugh guys, I enjoyed it. :)

If I knew a football game was the way to a man's heart, I would have tried it earlier. I'm starting to get more into it, and I am sorry to admit that I had trouble getting to bed last night because I couldn't stop planning my FM game plan. I still think it's weird seeing "Mr." . . . but I'll deal with it,

Although my gender and nationality makes me an anomaly, I'm just about the most typical fan otherwise. Being a football fan is something I take great pride in . . . and a whole lot of flack. I made some of my female friends watch Euro 2004 with me, and they enjoyed starting at the men, but they tried (without success) to get me to stop talking tactics and telling Sven to substitute, and yelling at the ref. My male (American) friends try to claim it's a "girly" game. So I know where you're coming from. Sorry your ladies aren't accomodating when it comes to footie. If it make any of you feel better, I think the game is kick ass.

25. HalfManHalfAmazing

HalfManHalfAmazing New Member

Sep 13, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FM is manly, Soccer is girly, that's fine though. I guess in a world without the NBA, and the NFL that Soccer players might not seem TOO faggy.

So where in Colorado are you from fellow BSer?