Football Manager 09

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by chief232, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The reaction times are garbage. The keeper won't get back up after making a diving save. I think this was done because on past FMs keepers would seriously make the most ridiculous strings of saves and it was almost impossible to score if the opposing keeper was having a blinder. Attackers don't react to rebounds very well but I guess if they did there would be a lot of goals. One thing that really pisses me off is after a player makes a sliding tackle and wins the ball they just lay on the pitch while the player they tackled retrieves the ball and runs past them.

----------------

Still plundering away, 3rd season in League 2 with Dag & Red. I went on a 14 match league unbeaten streak and then didn't win in my next 5. I sold an underachieving striker to give a promising 18-yr-old a chance and as he's about to make his debut he gets crocked. Very frustrating and after being among the promotion places all season I've fallen to 8th and out of the playoff places for the time being (10-15 games to go). Home draws are the devil.

If I don't get promoted this season I'm saying ******** it and starting a new game, probably with Birmingham though no doubt I will smash my laptop trying to keep them in the Prem if I go up first season.

2. Scolari

Scolari New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Some of the build of play is quite realistic, but a lot of the finishing is just absurd, as is player intelligence for the most part.

3. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is certainly the hardest version of this game to date. I had a really good first season with Chelsea but got dumped out of the Champions league by Inter and the FA Cup (final) by ManU. I've played Inter 3 times and ManU 5 and have have gotten only 1 (3-0 home win over United!!) win against either.

4. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I just noticed something very odd about the whole German NT business.

All the fake player are exact copies of their real-life counterparts. Check it out!. If you switch to 'overview' on the player screen and look at the shape of their chart things its easy to see. Pretty cool no?

My fake version of Ballack is named Stefan Otte. This is some serious parallel universe shit!

It's kinda fun to click on these fake players and see which ones you can match to their real counterparts

5. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, it's been like that and was the same when they didn't have the KNVB rights. For anyone who has played the game for a while remember Jens Mustermann? Oli Kahn wouldn't release the rights for him to be in the game so they named him that, obviously a potshot at him referencing his then rival Lehmann and Mustermann being the German version of John Doe.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is rather weird.

Dude, I'll see if I catch online tomorrow...my wife is limiting my game time hours! :) Frankly, she is right. Game is addicting.

7. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Haha thats cool man. I hope she's limiting your play time the right way :D

8. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ya that was awesome

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    More like dishes and chores.... :eek:

10. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Lol..playing at Southend :)eek:) in the FA Cup:)eek: weird..), they just equalized in the 88th minute from a corner(not so weird! :p)

all a lack of finishing - 3 shots 2 on target for Southend, 21-10 for us! 2-2 now, but we could still nick it in the end.

Playing with abit of a backup team -

Cudicini
    Ivanovic Terry Alex Bridge
    --------Ponzio
    -----Essien---Van der Vaart
    -------Dzagoev(off in the first few mins for Lamps due to injury)
    -----Owen--------Martins

Essien is a staple in the team, just needed someone in there, Van der Vaart has been a wonderful signing so far but Lamps still starts ahead of him usually, Owen has been woeful, Martins has been inconsistent.

Would you believe that recently Ben Sahar has been playing better than Owen, Poldi, Martins and Obasi(who I rarely play anymore, looking for someone to take him on loan)?

11. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    anyone playing this on a mac? I was going to download it , but i was wondering if i'd encounter any difficulties when i try to install this on a mac. I'm no computer genius.
    Is there any difference in loading the game, because the pc version takes a long time to load.

12. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe the mac and pc versions come on the same disc, so you should be fine.

As for loading times, it really just depends on machine specs and database size. Try a smaller database or less playable leagues to increase load times. Also you can change the speed in preferences for processing fixtures. If you set it to fastest it will go faster but hog all your computers resources, which is fine if you don't do other things at the same time.

13. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Won the league and the CL again. I think I'm only making one signing, a new player named Adama Lopes from Dynamo Kiev, a 21 year old CM, 17 and up in things such as - finishing, passing, long shooting, dribbling.. he's just really bad in the air.

Starting to bring up the youth squad, Sinclair, Woods, Bertrand, Hutchinson, Mellis, Sahar, Di Santo, Mancienne.. gonna try to get them to play a bit more regularly. Mellis, Sahar, Mancienne, Sinclair, Bertrand are the biggest prospects, Di Santo has really stagnated but there's still hope. Also have Dzagoev and a Romanian DM, Spanish CM(who already has plenty of stats past 15, just need to improve alot in others), and Dutch AM who I'm going to try to loan out. Kakuta looking good but not good enough yet. Trying to build up Stoch as I like him and I'd like it to be realistic, gonna be a bit of work though(atm looks like he'll only be good enough for a relegation threatened team). Sawyer the same. Philliskirk's gonna be decent but not yet, and I have too many CMs. Rajkovic isn't as good as Bertrand but good that he can play CB as well.

Letting Ballack go, Poldi was going to go to Schalke but he wanted us to pay the wages so I'm dropping him to reserves(he's been absolutely woeful this season), Owen's picked it up as has Drogba, Martins is doing better and Sahar was fantastic until he got injured for 5 months :rolleyes:

14. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Finally started a serious game with Chelsea. Sold Beletti for 7 mil, Ferreira for 3, and Malouda for 11.5. Held onto Carvalho for the first year. Will be gone in summer as he's unhappy and Ivanovic is more than capable. Brought in Balotelli for 11 mil, Dzagoev for 6, and Giovinco for 13 (This was probably a bad buy. Has some good stats but I didn't notice the 4 in Strength). In the january window and have accepted some bids for Pizarro. Got some really high bids later on, wish I hadn't accepted the lower ones, but I'll get from 5.5-9.5 if some incentives are met.

One major observation. Arsenal once again are waaaaay too good. They have a 6 point lead right now and won their first 11 or 12 games. Not sure they have lost yet. Sitting in 3rd, one point back from Man U. It took a while to get going. Seems squad harmony is a big factor and its not very high when you first start the game. Couldn't score to save my life the first month or so, but now I am catching everyone, and doing very well in CL.

15. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To your points

Squad harmony is critical. Be careful not to sign more than a few senior players a year

The main reason people start slow is that the players don't want to play for an inexperienced manager

Arsenal are absurdly good again, and their youth are ridiculous as well. I like to try to cut their legs our from under them by buying up their youngsters. If their not good enough for me then I sell them on, usually for a nice profit.

16. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, the first two are big changes. I can understand that, but it kind of sucks since it's not like you have a choice to get experience if you want to play with your favorite team.

And yeah, I do the buy Arsenal's youth thing too, but its rediculous, Fabregas is better than Lampard by a decent bit, and Gallas is better than Terry and Carvs easily, and Clichy and Sagna are better than A. Cole and Bos. Ah well. To next season after a trophyless 1st. If this was real life I would have been sacked:p

17. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting a new game with Ben Sahar's former team Hapoel Tel-Aviv. Fun so far. Sold Enyeama to Caen and bought Cronin and Yavul Avidor, who's doing well. Just beat Red Bull Salzburg 2-1.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol...I am on my 4th season with Dortmund and have won the CL once, the German cup twice and on my way to a 3rd BL title. I have gotten offers from Ireland, Real and Le Arse...

I think I will stay here until either Chelsea or Germany come a calling!!!
    :D

Still have not had a chance to fix the whole German NT thingy going on! :mad:

19. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool to hear you're having success. I've yet to get the hang of winning on this year's game, myself.

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

---Podolski---Dezenko-(Borja)----
    -Marin-----------------Hleb-(Trochowski)
    ------Sahin-----Rolfes (Ambrossini)---
    -Dede---Huth---Nordvik---Beck (Rukavina)
    ----------Wiedenfeller--------

Key players; Nuri Sahin and Marco Marin by far!!!!

21. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow very nice. Can't even spell half of my players names so won't bother posting. :p

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was able to make a lot of money selling Kuba and Neven Subotic to Pool and Alexander Frei to Lyon. Not to mention getting rid of a lot of dead weight selling players before theur contracts end including Sebastian Kehl and Nelson Valdez.

23. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love Subotic he's beast for the USMNT in my games. And looks as if you've found good replacements.

Got lots of nice youth players coming up myself, may need to sell some dead weight. Will sell Gabriel Santos if I get an offer over 3 million dollars.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, Subotic wanted to move to Pool and though he was a good player - anyone that wants out or starts bitching can GTFO.

By the way, Subotic scored for BvB today. :) He actually doesn't play for the USMNT though, he declared for Serbia.

25. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I know. :(