Football Manager 09

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by chief232, Nov 4, 2008.

1. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Might also be known as Worldwide Soccer Manager 09 in some countries.

The 3d engine is pretty good IMO. People complain about it but I like how it's a flawless translation from 2d to 3d, and I'm sure they'll improve it over time.

Though I'm really, really poor at it.

Lost with Chelsea to Nantes 3-0 :eek:

Any pros here with, ya know, tips?

oh, and a little laugh from FM 08, think garethchelsea(if he's still around) will especially like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08aEgGEqBQM&feature=related

2. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Haven't had a chance to play it much. The 3d match engine is pretty nice so far, as is the widgets (do they have those in 2d mode? Haven't tried that yet) that allow the game to take up more of the screen. I probably won't use it much though, maybe just big games. It seems like it will take longer to get through a season, but maybe thats not true

Hate the skin just like I did 08s default. Like the assistant advice on tactics, such as so and so's long passing is not hitting the mark.

So far it looks like an improvement (In my limited playing time) but I'll probably wait to buy the full game as the FM games are notoriously buggy on release.

3. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I must say i consider myself something of an FM expert. If you have any specific questions id be glad to help (tactics, transfers, team talks etc). Love the new engine, really smooth, not like to old 3d engines in Fifa manager which I stopped playing after 06 (played 07 a bit but made the full transition to fm after that)

4. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Am pretty sure there is going to be a patch on release day, will fix some of the early bugs people have found.

5. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hopefully something will come soon, although I haven't played more than a couple matches so I personally haven't found much.

The last couple years have been pretty bad though. Last year I didn't really play much until the 8.0.2 patch came out.

6. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Up until the demo for 09 came out I was still engrossed in my team in 07. 08 really never did it for me but i'm liking 09 a lot better. Many of the good ideas from 08 are much more mature and developed in 09.

7. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    btw hamsik is UNREAL in 09

8. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And in FM Napoli ALWAYS sell

9. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    True but you have to watch out for man city. they WILL match your bid and unless you offer him a huge contract he's gonna choose them

10. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    nevermind

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is this the one from EA Sports? If so, where can I buy it? I have been looking for it online and cannot seem to find it anywhere in the US?

Edit: Scratch that, this is from SEGA. I am looking for FIFA Manager 09 for EA Sports and cannot find it anywhere!!! :confused: HELP :(

12. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Don't bother man that game is not NEARLY as good. I've played both quite a bit, the SEGA one is much deeper. FIFA has the edge in terms of visuals, but the game is much less realistic and the database is about 1/4 the size.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    cool...

14. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  15. LL COOL JEW

LL COOL JEW New Member

May 3, 2003
    southern california
    I was an avid player on FM 08. I just purchased WWSM 09 and installed last night. I am playing on a Mac and the first thing i've noticed is that the game will not play without the disk being inserted. Is there anyway around that? Also.... I'm playing with Los Angeles and have noticed that I cannot get thru 1 game without at least 2 of my players picking up injuries. Is this a bug or is there something that needs to be done to fix this? There are times when i've got over 10 players injured at one time and care barely field a team much less compete. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Use another team...:p

17. LL COOL JEW

LL COOL JEW New Member

May 3, 2003
    southern california
    funny...

I used LA in FM08 and never had this problem. I have been able to transfer in and pick up off waivers alot of decent players, my squad is looking nice if I could just keep everybody healthy. I am beginning to wonder if there's a setting or something that i've missed or if its really a bug.

18. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The injury issue is a known bug. Make sure you download the patch that SI released, it help quite a bit.

As for the CD issue, you'll have to find a crack online. I don't know if there is one up yet on GameCopyWorld, but that's usually my go-to source

19. LL COOL JEW

LL COOL JEW New Member

May 3, 2003
    southern california
    thank you very much!

20. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'll be posting my insane ramblings in here from now on. ManUre are crazy in this game, I don't think they are gonna lose a league game.

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My first PL match with FM09 demo version was versus Manu. I beat them 0-1 away with the blues!

Bummer, no Bundesliga on the Demo version.

22. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I always preferred EA (though I have been playing it since it's 3 previous names) over the Eidos/Sega one. Not sure why, I just always liked the interface more.

23. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My girlfriend fell asleep so I've grabbed my laptop:D

Playing with Dag & Red (League 2) 16 games in, 6w 4d 6l in 11th place. Not bad because the team is crap and we're supposed to go down but I keep losing leads late on to drop unnecessary points. I guess I'm pulling a Scolari;)

24. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Been meaning to try a lower league team but always been too scared :D

Playing with Bolton on my dad's laptop, my save corrupted and all my backups are corrupted as well..second time this happened. :rolleyes: Was doing fairly well too, with a 1-1 tie at home with Man U, a 3-2 home win over Villa and a 3-0 away win at Stoke. Some solid football was being played. Ah well.

25. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LLM is fun but so frustrating since your team is generally crap and you can't play nice football. It's such an achievement to get a promoted multiple times though. It's kind of fun playing a bad team like the Daggers since I can dig and go for the 0-0 and it's not a bad result most of the time. Promotion playoffs is the one of the most tense/exciting parts of FM. I also like playing with a good Championship side and getting them up and then trying to survive in the Prem. I might do this with Brum as my next game since I always seem to play with them on FM. There's loads of interesting Championship teams this year: Wolves, Reading, Forest, Wednesday, Southampton, QPR, and for some reason a lot of people like playing with Derby.