Football in the UK & Ireland season 2018/19

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, May 28, 2018.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    1 Loughborough Foxes v Sheffield United ( postponed)
    2 Charlton Athletic v Huddersfield Town ( postponed)
    Brighton & Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 2
    4 West Ham United 3 Blackburn Rovers 1
    5 Stoke City v Aston Villa ( postponed)
    6 Manchester City 3 Watford 0
    7 Yeovil Town v Birmingham City ( postponed)
    8 AFC Wimbledon 0 Bristol City 3
    9 Crystal Palace 0 Tottenham Hotspur 3
    10 Millwall v Lewes ( postponed)
    11 Durham v Cardiff City ( postponed)
    Everton 0 Chelsea 2
    13 Crawley Wasps 0 Arsenal 4
    14 Leicester City 0 London Bees 2
    15 Reading v Keynsham Town ( postponed)
    Liverpool v MK Dons ( postponed)

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    5th Round draw

Liverpool or MK Dons v Millwall Lionesses or Lewes

Bristol City v Durham Women or Cardiff City

Reading or Keynsham Town v Yeovil Town or Birmingham City

Chelsea v Arsenal

Manchester United v London Bees

West Ham United v Charlton Athletic or Huddersfield Town

Stoke City or Aston Villa v Loughborough Foxes or Sheffield United

Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City

3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    L'orange repped this.
  4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Ragged, chippy game between Arsenal and Reading. Bad weather--cold and rainy--and a lot of fouls. Arsenal certainly has lost some of its early-season sharpness, owing to a ton of injuries, but the Gunners still had enough to put away a hard-working Reading side. Miedema scored her 16th goal, the most ever in a season.

blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    remember Arsenal will play again today, about 1.30 central time, in the other Conti Cup semis vs Man U. Haven't seen a direct link, but I'm pretty sure it will be on this facebook page
    The FA Women's Super League - Home

the winner will take on Man City, who beat Chelsea yesterday in the other semis

L'orange repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Game is on BT Sport tonight. I am sure there will be pirate streams around.

L'orange repped this.
  7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Interesting match between Arsenal and Manchester United. ManU is a pacy, hard-working team. They don't have the overall quality of Arsenal, but and high press and energy bothered Arsenal's back four in the first half. Indeed, they had the better run of play in the first 10 minutes or so, but Arsenal settled in and then scored on a beautiful long pass by D. Bloodworth to Miedema, who finished clinically, as she so often does, and Arsenal went in at the half 1-0.

Arsenal pretty much bossed the 2nd half, keeping the ball, making ManU chase, and Miedema scored again--gathering in a deflection in the box, taking a touch with her right foot and then firing the ball into the net with her left to give the Gunners a 2-0 lead. Arsenal had two or three other decent-good chances, including a header by Mead that did everything but go in the net, but the ManU defense held and then they scored off a deflection at the 83' mark to make the last 7 minutes more interesting. But the Gunners maintained control and took the victory. Miedema, Mead, Little, Bloodworth, who's moved into the midfield with Walti injured, and Van de Donk all played well for Arsenal, which isn't at its best with three starters out indefinitely, but there is still a lot of quality in the side, to be sure, and with a bit of luck could have won this match more easily. Bloodworth is a very versatile and talented player who can play midfield, outside back and centerback, and play them well, and so is a very valuable player indeed.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Week-end results

Bristol 0 Brighton 0
    Man City 2 Chelsea 2

Table

1. City 35 pts (15)
    2. Arsenal 33 pts (13)
    3. Chelsea 29 pts (15)
    4. Birmingham 28 (14)

Top four will fight for the two Champions League places

9. Brighton 9 pts (15)
    10. Everton 6 pts (12)
    -----------------------------
    11. Yeovil 3 pts ( 13)

At the bottom of the table, Brighton have taken a big step towards safety with a point at Bristol. Wins don't come easy at all for those fighting to avoid relegation, a six points gap is actually huge.

blissett repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Revised FA Women's fifth round draw:

1 Liverpool v Millwall Lionesses*
    2 Bristol City v Durham*
    3 Reading v Birmingham City
    4 Chelsea v Arsenal
    5 Manchester United* v London Bees*
    6 West Ham United v Huddersfield Town**
    7 Aston Villa* v Sheffield United*
    8 Tottenham Hotspur* v Manchester City

*denotes second tier team
    **denotes third tier team

sbahnhof repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sbahnhof repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Figure I just mention; your fave, Arsenal, lost rather surprisingly, 0-3 , to Chelsea in the quarters of the FA Cup. Not sure what happened; my only ref guide, the soccerway website, gave very little info on the game. Bummer though since the finals which Arsenal,made into last year) been getting those 50K+ crowds.
    Hasn't been the greatest weekend for Dutch players as Lieke Martins & Barca got shot down likewise over at the Spanish Cup

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arsenal cannot cope with injuries ( 12 outfield players fit) and players are getting tired with the lack of rotation, so their performance level is dropping.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FA Women's Cup quart-finals draw

Reading v Manchester United*
    Aston Villa* v West Ham
    Durham* v Chelsea
    Manchester City v Liverpool

*denotes Championship ( 2nd tier team)

The League is back tomorrow :

Arsenal (2) v Yeovil (11)
    Man City (1) v Everton (10)
    Reading (6) v West Ham (7) at the men's stadium
    Chelsea (3) v Bristol City (5)
    Brighton (9) v Birmingham (4)

The top 4 teams all need to win to keep the pace in the Champions League places race.

Then on Saturday the FA WSL Continental Tyres Cup final
    Arsenal v Man City in Sheffield 12.30pm kick-off

And after international break with the Shebelieves, Cyprus, Algarve and Turkish Women's Cup for the FA WSL players.

14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Emma Mitchell at left back seems to be a problem--she's getting beat a lot lately and I think lost the ball that resulted in Chelsea's first goal. I think Bloodworth would normally be in that spot but she's been playing midfield because of injuries.

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    found a replay on facebook ~~dare to watch, lol
    sse women's fa cup - Facebook Search

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Any livestreams of the Conti Cup final tomorrow--Arsenal vs. ManCity? I'll have to check around.

17. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    If you can get any live "broadcast" of BT Sport 1 (subscription channel), they've got the TV rights. BBC just has a radio/text commentary.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #144 hotjam2, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    watched the Conti Cup final, which was an unspectacular 0-0 after 120 min., only to have the live feed stop at the PK shootout, but final score has it Man City 4, Arsenal 2.

got to make you wonder; whats the point of having this particular cup since it didn't seem like both teams didn't want to give it their all/as well as a smallish crowd

20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Didn't want to give it their all? I think it is just the opposite--both teams very much wanted to win this match, and they are the two best teams in the league, so it is a big and natural rivalry as well, especially given that Arsenal beat ManCity last year to win this trophy. The fact that there were no goals in regulation doesn't mean they weren't playing hard--they clearly were.

I only got up in time to see the OT periods. It sounds like ManCity had more the better of play in regulation, but Arsenal played hard and had chances, too. Van Veenendal was said to be very good in goal for the Gunners today. Interesting that Montemurro did not start Miedema, who apparently has a tender ankle, and brought her in at the 67' minute mark or so. That could have been a boost to Arsenal late, but Miedema was marked tightly and they obviously weren't able to score.

ManCity took it on penalties. Bardsley saved shots by Williamson and Van de Donk, and should get credit for going the right way each time--but they were both rather poor shots, especially Williamson's, which didn't require the keeper to take more than a step in the right direction and it was waist high. I would like to see referee stop keeper's from messing with penalty shooters--it's bush league and should not be tolerated. Bardsley actually walked up and handed the ball to Little, and then before every Arsenal penalty shot was thumping her hands together to try and distract them. I don't like it--just go to your spot and stop with all the theatrics.

Despite her poor penalty, Williamson by all accounts had a brilliant defensive game. ManCity are talented throughout and good, but Arsensal were working with a thin lineup, as they have been for at least a month or longer. Without Nobbs and Walti, for starters, they just have no depth right now. I mean, Nobbs makes this a much different game, but credit to ManCity and the Shiek's money!

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arsenal are running on empty. They did all the hard defensive work to keep the 0-0 scoreline, but had no energy to create any attacking scheme. If you add Miedema who was not fit to play the whole game and Veje injured during the game. City were much better and deserved the win.

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I felt the intensity level was nowhere near what we saw the previous week in the Munich/Wolfsburg matchup(and after all, were talking about 4 out of 6 of the best pro teams in Europe).
    Both teams played with the usual underwhelming English style of just one striker/one player upfront. Both teams suffered from not being able to clear the ball from their danger zones(which unfortunately remains the classic weakness of woso)
    Since Arsenal's injury problems is well documented, got to focus more on Man City, which got at least 10 English NT players on it, yet it was the unassuming Scot, Weir, that was named player of the game.
    I don't think it bodes well for England(as well for Great Britain as upwards of 2/3rds of their players were in this game) for their chances of winning either the WC or Olympics if they play so un-spectacularly(but then could be eating my words by next week's SBC)

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I thought the intensity level between Arsenal and ManCity was quite high. Whether it matched that of Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg, I can't say. (I found that BM-Wolfsburg match hard to watch because the field seemed small and there didn't seem enough room for the teams to spread out and find space. I don't know what the dimensions of that BM complex field are, but it sure //seemed// tight.) Both Arsenal and ManCity did high-press pretty effectively and there were struggles by both at times to get the ball out of their defensive third. It looked like a game in which two good teams played good defense and canceled each other out.

As for England's WC chances: they've got a chance, I think. There is a lot of talent on the squad, and experienced talent. The manager, Phil Neville, will have a lot of selection options, and so getting them right, playing well on the day and getting the ball in the back of the net in knockout games will be everything, as always.

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FA Cup quarter-finals results

Man City 3 Liverpool 0
    Durham* 0 Chelsea 1
    Aston Villa* 0 West Ham 1
    Reading 3 Man Utd* 2 aet

* denotes Championship teams ( part-timers except United)

The three tier 2 teams were only beaten by a single goal.

Semi-final draw

Man City v Chelsea
    Reading v West Ham

sbahnhof repped this.
  25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France