Football in the UK and Ireland season 2019/20

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jul 9, 2019.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Just read that Nick Cushing, ManCity manager, is leaving the team effective early February. He's going to New York City FC to be that team's number 2. NYC FC is owned by the rich Arab that owns Manchester City FC, I believe. Cushing will be on the sidelines for ManCity's game against Arsenal (Feb. 2?) but will gone immediately or soon after that. May be a good opportunity for him but the ManCity front office is leaving the women's team in the lurch, to be sure.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The United fans just troll everyone. Even in second tier, they were saying only Lyon are a better team in Europe.
    For some reason and it has to do with the fact that one of their fav player does not get a game they don't like Groenen...

blissett and Ethan Frank repped this.
  3. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    A lot of the complaints are about her goal scoring/finishing. I get it in a sense, but the extent of the criticism stems from them thinking they were getting an elite midfielder who scores goals. That’s on them, not Groenen. Some people think she’s not creating enough, which is just strange considering she’s made quite a few decent chances backed up by her squad leading KP/90 and her having the second highest xA/90 in the squad. Add in the secondary assists/dangerous flank passes, and I just don’t really get it.

At least one person has questioned her ball retention and defensive capabilities. Questioning Groenen’s defensive ability is ridiculous. She’s been played at CAM for almost the whole season by Stoney so far, so she’s been less influential defensively than she has been for the Dutch. However, she’s pressed well in each match and has stood out with strong defensive moments vs City, Chelsea, and Everton with a couple moments in other matches. I do understand the ball retention comment more, but she’s mostly held up the ball well with her dribbling/passing. Bar a couple moments, she hasn’t put the team under threat or ruined promising attacks with dispossessions or misplaced passes.

I think I’m just going to have to work on accepting that I just won’t ever agree with some people, so that I’m not as affected by their somewhat confusing takes.

I think I’ve been mostly fine with FBRef’s and wslstats.org’s numbers, but yeah, I get what you’re saying. Defensive numbers don’t always seem the most accurate, and InStat has way higher interception numbers compared to everyone else. There have been differences in passing numbers, but I think it’s generally been pretty close. Don’t know what happened with Ladd, but the stream did start terribly for Utd vs Bristol. Either way, I do appreciate the free stats. (InStat’s not free, but Henderson posted Ladd’s stats.)

4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    She did score a few goals, but apart from the first few months of the 2017/2018 season, her goals were infrequent.

5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #280 hotjam2, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Groenen might of just turned 25, but she's is nearly a 10 year veteran of first divison soccer. Here's her yearly stats(though the soccerway website don't give assists for players)
    Netherlands - J. Groenen - Profile with news, career statistics and history - Women Soccerway
    hard to say how good she is; some fans think she's some kind of wunderkind(obviously some of the BS posters), but other reviews don't think much of her(this one site called 'all white kits', called her an "turnover machine"). The Guardian had her at #45 in their top 100. Personally think that's too high for her & remember, this is a poll that had Miedema only at #7 & didnt even have the likes of Macario or Ashley Lawrence in the poll even though the latter has just been named by the Canada soccer feds as their player of the year(yet the overrated Sinclair got #28).
    What gets me is that while just about all the best players in Europe have been picked up by the top 10 woso clubs, Groenen plays still for a weaker one.? Though that might not be an bad idea though as it assures more playing time(compared to Jill Roord who can't get a starting job with the biger/richer clubs that she plays for)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw.........Arsenal trying to pick up Catlyn Foord in responce to Chelsea/Kerr. Since Foord hasn't looked that good lately, perhaps an psychological move on the part of Arsenal?

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    :ROFLMAO:

7. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yeah, we’ve already settled on Groenen not being a consistent goal scorer by any means. Contrary to your posts in the past, Groenen’s been great for the Dutch without scoring goals. Macario’s a college player with no senior international experience; why would she pop up on that list? I thought even Fleming showing up was strange. Maybe Lawrence should have showed up, but PSG and Canada not having standout years may have played a big role.

All White Kits is Henderson, who appears to solely rely on InStat for his evaluation of certain games/players. (He also didn’t rate Roord that highly pre/post World Cup based on InStat.) Groenen’s play style is going to not rate that high often enough on the service since it seems to focus a lot on pass percentage for CMs/CAMs, and Groenen kind of plays like a winger in a box-to-box position. Add in the fact that I’ve noticed InStat’s stats differ a fair amount of times with other providers and I’ve disagreed a lot with their ratings for other players, and I subsequently don’t rate InStat that highly.

Feel free to rate Groenen low because of her playing for Frankfurt and Man Utd. Pointing out playing time consideration is fair enough. She did play for Chelsea before, and I read that she had some discussions with Lyon the summer of 2018. Overall though, we’ll just agree to disagree again regarding Groenen.

8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I remember watching Mewis destroying Groenen during the WC-19 Finals.

9. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Groenen won a solid tackle vs Mewis in the first half, got overly ambitious with a tackle in the second half that would have won the ball off most players but not Mewis with her build/frame, and then got completely fouled/taken out by Mewis not coming anywhere near the ball (Mewis got away with it), which led to Heath's first breakaway chance. If you think that Mewis challenge was anywhere close to fair, then I completely disagree with you. Groenen did indeed struggle for a 10 to 15 minute spell in that second half, but as a whole, I didn't think Mewis destroyed Groenen (fairly) in the WWC final.

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Man City 3 Everton 1

They are now level on points and goal difference with Arsenal. Weather is bad in England. Some games are likely to be cancelled tomorrow.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    whats Groenen's assist record? according to this(updated since last week) she don't even have 3/ A least her team is at 4th place, but looks like her fellow mid, Kirsty Hansen is getting all the laurels(voted best player in the league for October)
    2019–20 FA WSL - Wikipedia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Man U's game been cancelled, but Arsenal's is on, but both they & Chelsea are facing bottom feeders today/ next week they'll face each other
    The FA Player

12. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Groenen's only got 1 assist so far, but she has the second highest total XA, the second highest XA/90, and the highest KP/90 in the squad. She also has three secondary assists, two of them leading to easy chances for James. In short, her assist record for Man Utd Women has a lot to do with her teammates not taking advantage of her passes, a number of them being top quality. So, like Groenen herself, most of the squad can work on their finishing; even James has missed great chances. Hanson hasn't been getting huge plaudits since that Player of the Month win. She's finished well on low/somewhat low xG chances, but in terms of crosses/chance creation in the league, she hasn't been that great in my opinion outside of the good cross for Galton's second vs Brighton. (Edit: Hanson's also been a wing forward, but I suppose that's just semantics.)

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I amazed someone would question Shackie's skills set.

Sunday's games results

And the table

Liverpool actually gained something by not playing, their opponents have now less games in hand and they have worsened their goal difference.

Midweek games coming up are the Conti Cup quarter-finals:

Chelsea v Aston Villa
    Sheffield United v Man City
    Arsenal v Reading
    Man Utd v Brighton

Ethan Frank repped this.
  14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FA WSL postponed games being rescheduled all between Matchday 21 and 22 ( final day).

Match day 21 is 26/04 and Match day 22 is 16/05
    Everton v Chelsea 03/05
    Bristol v West Ham 03/05
    Birmingham v Reading 06/05
    Birmingham v Man Utd ?

It is a clever trick by the FA to make sure the final matchday is relevant. Basically Arsenal cannot be crowned on matchday 21 like last season as it spoiled the FA's perfect planning as they had Arsenal v Man City on final day.
    Of course they will be crowned champions if they are 7 points ahead of Chelsea after Matchday 21, but that won't happen. Or maybe Chelsea or City will be street ahead by Matchday 21 actually...

16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    With MUTV not showing Man Utd Women vs Brighton since it conflicts with coverage of the men's team vs Wolves, will there be any coverage of the Conti Cup quarterfinals?

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would not think so.... unless teams organize a last minute stream.

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably FA player app.

19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    The FA Player hasn’t shown any Conti Cup matches yet, and I don’t see anything scheduled on the website.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    If they can not, who do get the spot?
    Seems to be four choices:
    1) the next best team in the league (the way we do in Sweden, we do not have a full pro demand on the tier 1 teams but other financial criteria and demands on playing fields)
    2) the team that should have been relegated (one step closer to a closed league)
    3) no one, they play one team short next season to
    4) FA decides when it happens (opens up for corruption)

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In term of promotions from FA WC to FA WSL, the FA refuses to publish the rules... last season rules were next best team can apply for promotion and if not there is no relegation from the FA WSL.

From Tier 3 to tier 2 FA WNL to FA WC , the winners of the Southern and Northern Division go up and then if they cannot the runner-up can apply for promotion.

In my view any promotion based on financial basis is open to suspicion...

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Man Utd 2 - Brighton 1

Seems like Sigsworth and Zelem had great games for United. Ladd conceded two penalties; Brighton scored one and missed one. Complaints from fans again about James getting a yellow card. Now, maybe this one was actually unfair, but I have my doubts. I’ve found each previous yellow card to be reasonable, and fans have complained about all of them. Galton and Groenen didn’t play a single minute for the 3rd straight Conti Cup match.

Chelsea 3 - Aston Villa 1

Chelsea got their second and third via the bench. Aston Villa seemed to give a decent account of themselves. Kerr’s yet to play more than 80 minutes in a match and is still looking for her first goal.

Man City 4 - Sheffield United 0

Seems like this match was close for 37 minutes, but City’s superior quality showed through. Bremer’s in some terrific goalscoring form.

Arsenal 1 - Reading 0

Little with a late winner. Miedema only played the last 26 minutes, but according to Arsenal Women’s Twitter, she seemed to have a decent chance at goal. Now, I know there’s more to both Miedema and Kerr than goals. However, given all the Kerr vs Miedema talk heading into the second half of the season, they arguably should start scoring again for that attention to make more sense.

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Kerr v Miedema is just a marketing hype. Football is a team sport. Both teams are winning games, despite those two not scoring.

FA WSL Conti Cup final will be on neutral ground:

25. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I was making more of a reference to fan reaction/comments than team marketing, but fair enough.