Food Peeves

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by bungadiri, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, word was that she was a virgin. I never slept with her, so I guess we'll never know. She was good friends with my (now) ex-GF, who told me she was waiting for a guy where the relationship wouldn't end when we graduated. Hell, plenty of people drift apart when they're from distant states and not in close proximity to each other anymore.

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but do they all make that kind of egregiously inaccurate statement about artichoke capitals.

i thnk not.

nancyb repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't blame me- I'm not the one who said it. I'm from the other side of the continent.

4. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i never blame you for anything. haven't you figured that out yet???

but seriously! Camarillo. best known for a State Hospital. was she a patient there, perhaps???

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm relaying something someone told me in the mid-80s. I doubt I heard the town wrong, because they aren't pronounced anything alike, and there IS a Camarillo. She was, however, a bit weird.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i knew that.

it's interesting to note that IN salinas you can find people who will swear to you that 100% of the world's lettuce is grown in the salinas valley!

7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Salinas is lettuce, Castroville is artichokes, Gilroy is Garlic, Fresno is raisins, Camarillo is.....brillo?

nancyb repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thought you might. ;)

My high school town used to fashion itself as the Zucchini Capital of the world. But that was a century ago, now it's the Latin/Middle Eastern immigrant lower middle-class capital of the world.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    actually, beside the lettuce salinas probably can be considered the de facto artichoke capital of the world as well because if you draw a line halfway between castroville and salinas there would be more chokes on the salinas side. also, depending on which way you're coming into town you might think salinas' biggest crop is strawberries... and in sales volume it might be.

10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I was talking about what the towns call themselves, not actual acreage planted in different crops. I haven't been to Cali in almost 30 years. My wife still talks about driving through Salinas and seeing lettuce blowing across the highway like tumbleweeds. The Camarillo thing was for the benefit of Frank Zappa fans, of course.

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we discussed the dental floss capital yet?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's in Montana, right?

nancyb repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Huntsville, AL was once well-known for watercress. FWIW, I never told anyone it was the watercress capitol of the nation or anything, but it's been said in my presence.

14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that seems strange, cuz Montanans maybe have 2nd fewest teeth per capita, not counting livestock .

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i don't think that's quite fair. probably when polled on how many teeth they have in thar haid, they get up to as high as they can count and then give that number, when in fact they have chompers to spare. the problem is education, not flossing.

YankHibee and StiltonFC repped this.
  16. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    other than transcribing the High Plains accent improper like, you've made a critical error. Montanans can count right fine. they have to count their livestock.

some Montanans have as many as 857 goats, sheep, cattle, what have you.

nancyb repped this.
  17. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Go for the extra sour sourdough, that'll peeve you. Stuff doesn't even taste like bread any more.

guignol repped this.
  19. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actually sounds really good.

Peeves: 1) that small, Jelly Belly-sized jelly beans are the default size on the market now. It's harder to find "jumbo" ones, which are what I prefer, and grew up with. 2) very crumby bread. I just had my first banh mi, and the bread was toasted, and crumbs galore got in my beard.

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Anyone notice that all the major brands of peanut butter seem to have reduced the size of the jar at the same time? Not that there is price fixing, mind you. :rolleyes:

guignol repped this.
  21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's something that always got me about lots of american foodstuffs: candy bars are probably the best example: when costs go up incrementally they just shave a tad off the weight. after 2-3 micro-downsizings they go back to the original weight and make the quantum leap in price.

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    A one pound can of coffee is now 11 ounces. Older recipes that use packaged cake mix don't come out right any more because there is less mix in the box. Just raise the price, already.

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    europe may have a lot of things wrong, but among the lot of things they have right:

- sales tax is included on the indicated price. you buy one article for 87 cents and another for 1.19 and the cashier asks for 2.06. what a concept!

- a 100g bar of chocolate weight 100g. a 250 packet of coffee weighs 250g. and they always will.

baking powder and yeast however are a bit problematic: according to the brand a sachet (a good idea in itself, keeps better) doesn't weigh the same. not much difference between 10 or 11g of baking powder, but for yeast the range is from 5.5 to 8g... and the granules aren't the same size. once you get used to one brand you better stick with it.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    "Why are women bad at math? [Holds her hands 5 inches apart.] Because they are told that this is 10 inches."

Mom's favorite joke. It seems to vaguely fit here.

25. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You ever notice that it is happening to most food packaging across the board? With regards to peanut butter much of that is due to the droughts that have greatly reduced the availability of peanuts. Hell, almond butters are suffering the same fate. Most packers have opted to go with smaller packaging just to keep retails from getting out of hand. Retail consumers tend to be clueless (not you) as to what effects the prices of the goods they purchase.

Having spent nearly 20 years in the wholesale/retail side of the business both on a micro and macro level has been an eye opening experience.