Food Ideas

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by flowergirl, Jul 20, 2010.

1. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone give me more ideas for foods i can give my almost 2 year old? he loves fruits and vegetables and meats. he's allergic to milk and eggs. doesn't seem to like potatoes or rice very much. seems ok with pasta, but definitely not his favorite. i need some more starchy, filler foods for him.

2. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oatmeal?

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tortillas? That's one of the few things my kid eats.

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've recently been diagnosed with lactose intolerance and my son is four so I might be able to help you there.

The easiest thing to make is a chili con carne/stew type dish (which my son loves) with mince meat, beans and other veg you've got lying around, just don't make it as spicey as you would for yourself. You can chuck all sorts of vegetables in there. The beauty of that is also that you can store and freeze small portions of it, so when you're cooking something your child doesn't like you just feed him a small portion of the chili.

5. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he actually loves beans, but his tummy's been a little messed up lately. molars. he probably would like chile. and we don't make ours very spicy. good suggestion.

6. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Isn't that terrible for a Dutch person? My upright condolescences ;-)

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It is pretty awful. Not as bad as world hunger or AIDS in Africa I know but still.

8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    At least the German border isn't far, last time I checked our bread didn't rely on the cheese to taste good and we had a bigger varietry of cold meat.

Dunno how I would have survived in the Nl without the Gouda, Vla and milk.

Now back to topic I guess. Stews seem like the way to go. Maybe if you make sweet pasta he could start liking them better? (with sugar instead of salt).

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I sometimes wonder where you lived/live in the NL! In my hometown you can get German bread at even the most bog standard supermarket. Not that I ever buy it. It's too heavy on the stomach for my liking.

10. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam, thought that was public knowledge. At some AH's there (not really worth talking about any other supermarket there, as they have a quasi-monopoly) you could get something they labelled German bread, but it just doesn't compare to the real thing, which you would buy at a bakery, and never at a supermarket (And there are bakeries in Amsterdam who produce better bread than the supermarkets, but still not close to German bread). I basically bring two loafs every time I visit my (American/Eastern European) friends in A'dam, but even the Scottish/Dutch family of a friend I once stayed with sort of asked me to excuse the bread (and made up for it by cheese, so all is good).

The closest thing youi can get in the NL imo are the bread rolls you then put in the oven, wif you consume them fresh.

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I like the tortilla idea, but I'd go with most breads as well. And dry cereal...

12. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, he likes cereal. haven't tried tortillas yet. will try that. thanks guys.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Be careful. Most tortillas and cereals have dairy in them. As a lactose intolerant newbie I'm quickly learning to keep a close eye on these things and it's really annoying to find out how most foods are off-bounds for me. Check all ingredients and never assume these foods don't contain dairy!

14. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, don't worry, i'm quite the label reader. my mom is lactose intolerant and celiac. there's so much stuff in things that you wouldn't think would have them...

15. AnxietyCoachJohn

AnxietyCoachJohn Red Card

Nov 23, 2010
    Santa Monica,CA
    you should google it... see what is the best for your child... we should give the best for our children.... or simple go to your nutritionist find out what is the best for your child :d