Fluminense x LDU - LIbertadores Final

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by sidis, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CEVALLOS x2!!!!!!!!!! best goalie ever!!!!!!

2. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That what such a blatant attempt to get into his head and it worked.

3. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hahaha, I know... you gotta have some personality to do what he did, though.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    huahuau guerron eh raca fla!

5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Fluminense 3 (5) - (5) 1 LDU Quito

LDU Quito wins on penalties, 3-1.

6. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    LIGA CAMPEON

DAMN CEVALLOS... dude caught everything!

Congrats Ecuadorians. Flu had a great match... I feel Conca shouln't have kicked that first PK...

7. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    congratulations LDU, wins the most exciting Libertadores of all time.

8. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    and CONMEBOL wins!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Idiots:mad:

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

huahuahuahuahuahuahuhua Flu = time pequeno! Take that Gabriel!

10. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    campeon!!!!!!!

11. Bermele

Bermele Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Felicitaciones Liga, esta fue una de las mejores finales de libertadores.

Que bueno que por fin gana un equipo que no sea brasilero o argentino, y ademas un equipo que juega en altura. Felicitaciones otra vez por este maracanazo, tienen todo mi respeto.

12. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Brasil and Brasilian clubs should stop playing decisive games at the Maracana. As a Chilean I can tell you that sometimes playing in certain stadiums can be a curse, like our dear estadio Nacional.

13. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Siempre lindo ver un entrenador llorar de emocion.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    This was the FIRST time that a Brazilian side played the final of the Libertadores at Maracana. FIRST.

So much for curses, all the more since the last decisive game at Maracana that was of any significance was Copa America 1989, when Brazil defeated Uruguay.

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    great performance by the LDU keeper.

but still though, flu clearly didnt train hard enough on PKs for a game that was 90% certain to go to PKs from the start. pretty bad i think. the PKs that LDU made were pretty amazing. the 3rd one they made. that was a perfectly struck kick. fernando henrique guessed the right way and just barely missed it. they clearly practiced for the PKs and Flu didnt. Congrats to LDU.

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Congrats to Liga, its supporters and players.

Eh? Did Fluminense fans go to the locker rooms and won't be getting their medals?:confused:

17. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Felicitaciones a los hinchas de LDU:)

No les tenía fe en semis ni en la Final, pero me taparon la boca. SE LO MERECEN. POR FIN ECUADOR!!

De paso, salí Campeón de "El más sabio":D:cool:

18. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, my bad. I was under the impression that Brazil had never won a final either at club or national level at the Maracana.

19. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    LDU Quito and Manchester United at the FIFA Club World Cup.

20. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    The best team won, the team with the best player of the whole tournament. Congrats LDU

21. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    Alot of goals in the 2 finals. Very exciting most exciting in years. No wonder they switched to defending and going to penalties instead of really going for the goal. With a keeper like that. He totally messed up that kicker with that "can't hear whistle technique"....thats what south american football is about: doing extra-futeballistic things to swing luck in your advantage.

22. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I had the same impression. For some reason, the Liga players seemed extremely confident in front of the goal... even moreso Cevallos, who seemed in control pretty much the whole round of PKs. The Flu players looked more tired... I don't know if they were nervous, but certainly they weren't kicking their PKs with the same conviction.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'm sad for Fluminense. I won't talk about the refereeing but I will make a few observations.

- For Fluminense this is truly so very disappointing. Had they lost by one goal only at Quito last week, and then played this well today, there wouldn't even have been a need for PKs.
    - Guerron is a beast. Nuff said.
    - Fluminense's goalkeeper is one of the shakiest goalies I've seen in a team that reaches the final of a major tournament in a while.
    - Conca missing was a problem, but Fluminense's goalkeeper saved Conca by blocking the second LDU shot. But it was when Thiago Neves failed to score that I sensed disaster. He took way too long to kick, and then Cevallos went to the ref. Cevallos' action may be questionable, but when the hat-trick player is that nervous and ultimately fails on PKs, you know you've got a problem. Washington also took a very long time. They were rattled - it reminded me immediately of England vs. Portugal in the 2006 World Cup.
    - I salute Fluminense. They had an incredible and unforgettable run with wins over teams like SPFC and Boca Juniors which will now be remembered by Conca, Thiago Neves, and Washington choking. I find it hard to see this team back in the Libertadores next year, as they are doing poorly in the Brazilian league and unless they conjure up a magical run, they've got way too many direct competitors for a Libertadores berth for 2009. If they make it to 2010, this team will probably be radically different, and most probably not as competitive as 2008's was.
    - Congratulations to Liga. They won at Estudantes da Prata's venue, defeated Sao Lourenco on PKs, and ultimately beat the #1 team from the group round. If they maintain this base, it should be interesting to see how well they do in Japan (although if they fail to reach the final vs. Manchester United it'll be doubly embarrassing for Fluminense). If they keep this team intact and get reinforcements, Manchester United will have a lot of work.
    - I like Guerron's answer to the FSE reporter of why LDU won: "HUEVOS, PAPA... HUEVOS."

A great 2008 Libertadores. Onto the summer friendlies, the rest of the Brasileirao, World Cup qualifying, and hopefully an equally memorable Copa Libertadores 2009.

I'm outta here.

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Ironic. They beat Boca and then do what Boca did in 2004. :rolleyes:

EDIT: they're getting them right now.

25. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Heh he's indeedly like that i remember, when in Argentina-Ecuador for the qualifiers from the beginning, when he came out for the pre-match warm up, we saw some people started to curse at him and he was like i don't care. And then my dad told me "tsk, he's one of those guys who get motivated when the opposition insults him".