Florida MLS Team

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by strikersoccersupply, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Stateside Gooner

Stateside Gooner New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Aurora
    Mostly for the current bun.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1-we had about 15 at the last WCQ match at Fiddlers
    #2-latter, although Rollins has a good team, I am more general soccer fan but I especially root for the USMNT, PDL and MLS.
    #3-Long story short: because like you I would like to move out west for work and RSL is in Utah where I want to be. :)

3. Stateside Gooner

Stateside Gooner New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Aurora
    What about the US qualifier in Feb against T & T?
    Will Fiddlers show that do you think?

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we are planning on meeting there for Fish and Chips or Corn Beef&Cabbage for all the WCQs.
    Also, if there are going to be any friendlies (not likely at this point) they will probably be at Fiddlers!
    Send me your email and I'll add you to our announcement list.

5. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I'd love to see a team in Orlando but I don't think British tourists would care about an MLS team. And as for British people who live here like myself, I wouldn't rely that much on them either. I'd hate to be wrong! I want MLS back. But I'd rather see a SSS stadium in Tampa first, even if it's much further for me to drive.

6. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    call me foolish :p but why did Miami and Tampa Bay fold? i thought they were doing well? :eek: well on paper it did :eek:

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised you haven't already gotten several epistle length replies from the Great Scribes here at BS. Perhaps they feel Florida MLS fans don't deserve an answer any more.

In any case, the skinny of the folding of the Tampa Bay Mutiny and the the Miami Fusion is ownership. Horowitz, the owner of the Fusion felt that he was losing too much money (which is true, MLS teams until recently bled money big time). Horowitz wasn't in it for the long haul. Tampa on the other hand was always controled by MLS (ala Montreal Expos of MLB) and never had a owner. While the Mutiny might have slightly less than average in attendance, its overall drain on the limited monies of MLS sealed its doom.
    Hope that answers your question.

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    He's in Australia if I read his bio right, so he's probably not a Florida MLS fan.

I'd answer his question if he'd rephrase the last part so that it made sense to me.

An easy misconception around here was that Florida was a worse market than SJ, KC, Dallas, and Denver. Though the humidity makes outdoor summer games a tougher sell, the attendance in Florida wasn't that bad. Neither team had a good stadium situation or an owner that wanted to fund the team in 2002. Dallas is the home of Hunt. Denver is the home of Anschutz. KC has a Hunt NFL team. Dallas and Colorado now have committed owners with SSS's, something that wasn't in sight in 2002 for Florida. SJ had an operator at the time (the NHL Sharks). So when Anshcutz, Hunt, and Kraft stepped back and decided what to do with the teams no longer with owners (Dallas, TB, and Miami) it was an easy decision that Hunt take his hometown Dallas team, Anschutz keep his hometown Dever team, and both would push for SSS or finding local owners that could get one done. This was also the exact same time as MLB was trying to contract the Expos and Twins. MLB was facing political and legal obstacles. Contracting 2 teams from 1 state made it an easy decision based on travel considerations and that noone in Florida was going to fight MLS (lawmakers were more worried about the Marlins or Devil Rays being the replacements for the Twins in the MLB contraction sweepstakes). TB had just come off an awful season (fired the coach, horrible record, eliminated from playoffs early in season, and little fan hope). Miami had shown that the stadium location there probably wasn't a great long-term solution. If you look at MLS today with all but 3 teams on solid tracks to SSS's and the other 2 being dangled for relocation, the changes in 2002 were very healthy for league finances/stability. 2 markets had to go and unfortunately Florida took the hit.

Let's look at this way (using median's)

2001 attendance
    Team Year G Total Average Growth Median
    Columbus 2001 13 227,644 17,511 13.3% 17,947
    MetroStars 2001 13 270,477 20,806 18.1% 17,543
    Chicago 2001 14 229,438 16,388 22.4% 15,254
    DC United 2001 12 258,213 21,518 15.8% 15,065
    New England 2001 13 203,501 15,654 1.2% 14,691
    Los Angeles 2001 13 226,035 17,387 -14.8% 13,844
    Colorado 2001 13 214,249 16,481 31.0% 12,652
    Dallas 2001 13 163,465 12,574 -4.0% 11,877
    Miami 2001 14 156,481 11,177 49.8% 10,081
    Tampa Bay 2001 14 146,704 10,479 10.9% 9,883
    Kansas City 2001 13 142,402 10,954 20.2% 9,361
    San Jose 2001 13 125,250 9,635 -22.7% 8,673

Best pre-2001 attendance
    Team Year G Total Average Growth Median
    Los Angeles 1998 16 348,549 21,784 5.6% 19,869
    MetroStars 1996 16 382,360 23,898 19,764
    New England 1997 16 342,762 21,423 12.6% 18,647
    Columbus 2001 13 227,644 17,511 13.3% 17,947
    DC United 1997 16 267,171 16,698 9.4% 16,780
    Chicago 2001 14 229,438 16,388 22.4% 15,254
    San Jose 1996 16 275,712 17,232 14,592
    Dallas 1999 16 195,381 12,211 11.5% 12,885
    Tampa Bay 1999 16 209,700 13,106 27.1% 12,793
    Kansas City 1996 16 206,044 12,878 11,574
    Colorado 2001 13 214,249 16,481 31.0% 12,652
    Miami 2001 14 156,481 11,177 49.8% 10,081

the trend in Miami was up, SJ was down about 25% with an almost linear drop downwards. In 2001 (though the decision was probably made before this season), TB and MIA outdrew SJ and KC. They weren't that far off from Dallas and Colorado (who had attendance on the rise). Long-term, they hadn't been much worse markets than any of those 4 when you look at max attendance (SJ had one good first year). All 4 of the others had previous <10k seasons. MLS decided to contract (wisely). 2 teams were needed. KC had a reasonable stadium situation at the time compared to other teams. Dallas had a SSS in the works. SJ had a new operator. Colorado was thought to be among the 2 to go for much of the season, but with Anschutz living in town and a record high in 2001, they must have barely survived. Maybe Anschutz liked having a Denver team, maybe he knew he stood a good chance of getting local interest and a SSS deal (Florida, California, New York, and Massachusetts are generally the 4 tough states to get government financing for stadiums if you look at other sports).

In short, no owner, no SSS, no hope for either soon - they were the 2 to go. It's not exactly fair for people on here to continually refer to them as the failed markets as if they were any worse than 4 still in MLS. Whenver an owner/SSS plan comes forward, MLS will look at returning to Florida. Looking back, SJ and KC may have been better options to go. Miami hosts tons of soccer, has 3 stadiums wanting soccer (none MLS adequate) and MLS failing to sell Glazer on MLS was one of the biggest missed opportunites IMO now that he wants Man U. He took a near 100% football publicly funded stadium and probably would want that for a SSS and knew he couldn't get it. Hunt, Anschutz, and Kraft have shown in the past a faith in private stadium investment (Gillete, HDC, CCS) that I don't think Glazer has.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swed, you are very correct. Nice post.
    BTW Did you know the RSL and Columbus Crew are playing a exhibition match in Tampa on Feb 12?

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd heard something like that. Please let me know when tickets become available. Thanks.

11. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a charity match in Tom Fitzgerald's name. It will be played at the University of Tampa.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G, doesn't U of Tampa play at USF's soccer stadium in Temple Terrace?
    And yes, the exhibition match will be played in Coach Fitzgerald's honor and proceeds will go to his soccer scholarship fund at U of Tampa.

13. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Florida had bad luck. I would be very upset if MLS closed expansion someday without a Florida team. The Olympic development programs are all in florida aren't they? Lots of great yourth soccer if not the best. Hell, there's always the huge foreign market in Florida. I think the right market and the right leadership in florida can lead to a very financially successful MLS team in florida. Ft. Lauderdale anyone?

14. soccer4sFlorida

soccer4sFlorida New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    GUATEMALA vs. DENMARK

January 29th 2005 4:00PM
    Lockhart Stadium
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309
    *Kids 6 years of age and under accompanied by an adult are free.

Advanced Ticket $21.00
    General Adminssion $10.00

www.ticketfusion.com

SUPPORT soccer @ LockhartSSS, "A" league 2006

http://www.soflastrikers.com/forums/

15. soccer4sFlorida

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    Guatemala tops Denmark

Ruiz's 2 goals spark rally

By Jeff Rusnak
    Special correspondent
    Posted January 30 2005

FORT LAUDERDALE · Guatemala was down a goal and its throng of supporters was getting restless midway through the first half of Saturday's friendly against the Denmark under-21 team.

The scoreline and the mood changed abruptly within minutes thanks to two goals by striker Carlos Ruiz that roused the Guatemalans to a 3-2 win in front of an estimated 12,000 fans at Lockhart Stadium.

Ruiz's second-half replacement, Juan Carlos Plata, scored the third Guatemala goal in the 66th minute. Both Denmark goals came on penalty kicks, the first by Leon Andreason in the ninth minute and the second by Morton Rasmussen in second-half stoppage time.

Guatemala used the match to prepare for a Feb. 9 World Cup qualifier against Panama. It looked as though the chapines would enter qualifying on a down note until Ruiz's goals in the 30th and 34th minutes invigorated the team and its faithful.

"The support was good for us and we thank them so much," Ruiz said of the fans. "Guatemalans have the dream for the team to play in their first World Cup."

The game's promoter announced the crowd at 8,770 in the 20,450-seat stadium, but the figure seemed wildly undercounted. Sideline seats, which numbers about 7,800 were mostly full, and each zone was nearly half full.

The younger Danes took the early initiative and were rewarded with Andreason's penalty kick goal. Referee Reggie Rutty cited Guatemalan defender Nestor Martinez for tripping Kasper Lorentzen in the 18-yard box and the call was not disputed.

Denmark's U-21s controlled play for the next 20 minutes and quieted supporters who expected more from Guatemala. The chapines broke the spell in the 29th minute when Ruiz ran onto a Gonzalo Romero pass behind the Denmark defense and won a penalty kick on a tackle by Denmark goalkeeper Theis Rasmussen.

Ruiz finished the PK for his fourth goal in his last six games to tie it 1-1. Guatemala seized the momentum and Ruiz got a second breakaway when he collected captain Guillermo Ramirez's pass with only Rasmussen to beat. The Los Angeles Galaxy striker skillfully slotted a shot inside the left post to make it 2-1 and set the attacking tone for Plata's clincher.

"We came out a little overconfident," Guatemala coach Ramon "il primitivo" Maradiaga said through a translator. "When they saw we were down on the scoreboard, they realized they needed to pick up their game."

Guatemala will return to Lockhart to play Haiti on Feb. 13.

16. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I'm moving on over to Florida, and, even if MLS never comes back there, I am glad for the fact that there are a lot of international and pre-season games played there.

But, having said that, how about the "Orlando Landsharks?" I think it's catchy. Come on, let Disney put some $$ into soccer like it has baseball, hockey, etc.

That reminds me, Disney can take its hockey budget and use it to start its MLS expansion team!

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Florida Dammit.
    Any idea where your moving to?
    Miami/Ft Lauderdale get a lot of internationals but Orlando/Space Coast have the most PDL teams.

18. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Down with Rollins....Florida Southern is your daddy

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude when did I say Rollins was good, a year ago? LOL

Anyone know if PDL Kraze beat UCF today in their friendly?

20. ThePuck

ThePuck New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    D.C., M.F., W?!?!
    You got that right. Florida needs a team. In a state where the Sunshine Network shows EVERY Florida game it can get it's hands on, from HS to college to pro, they have a fan base. Maybe if they had one team, fans from Tampa and Miami could keep intrest up with a combined effort.

21. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Jacksonville? It's probably not their first choice (I'd have to go with Miami as the 1st), but they don't really have much except the Jags.

The only downside to Miami is, the people there do not care about their teams unless they're a top team. Miami wouldn't care so much about the 'Canes if they were good al lthe time. The same with the Dolphins. Has anyone seen more than 1,000 people at a regular season Marlins game? It's pathetic. The people don't show up unti lthey're in the playoffs, even when they have a good season! I can see why they're probably moving to Vegas. Miami is bandwagon sports town.

22. soccer4sFlorida

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    no worries fellows
    soon there will be plenty of teams relocatin'

"MLS expansion club Chivas USA continued to follow a disturbingly similar path to the Fusion last weekend when it drew just 12,697 to its second home game at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. That was roughly 6,000 less than its poorly attended home opener, leaving Chivas with 4,000 fewer fans than the now-defunct Fusion attracted for its first two games."

Sun-Sentinel

23. ThePuck

ThePuck New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    D.C., M.F., W?!?!
    Oww. That's gotta suck for them...

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This week, Chivas had barely 10,000 PAID, so thats about 7,000 maybe in the seats. I thought the HDC looked empty.

25. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once they start winning they'll probably see better attendance.