Florida Man...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HerthaBerwyn, Feb 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    A species demanding its own thread in the tradition of laughing at Texas and Kansas. Unfortunalty, this is not funny at all. If you own 80% of a condo building you can forcr the rest to sell for current market, regardless of their purchase price or payment history.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2015/2/6/florida-condo-law.html

“If people are too lazy to read the fine print, that’s their problem,” Daniel Marzano said in a phone conversation with America Tonight.

When pressed on whether their actions were moral, Michael Cosculluela replied: "There's no question of morality in business."

I think his children need personal letters telling them just what kind of man their father is. After all, when reaching adolescence children need accurate information on which to base their opinions of their parents.

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, but did you read the article?

3. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Yup. Just goes to prove that legality and morality are separate and independent measures. Im hoping they can rally enough of the others to block it.

4. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The law, put in place to help storm damaged properties, is being taken advantage of by New York and Atlanta investment firms. Hardly a Florida fail in the same way we laugh at Texas and Kansas.

5. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Of course if you owned one of those properties then you might think it is an even bigger fail than anything Texas has done. They wouldn't pull that shite in Tejas or there would be some killings.

To me it would be kind of like the Bank "calling" in a mortgage that was current. If you read the fine print many mortgages have a clause that allow exactly that. It is one of those standard type things that if you want a mortgage you sign and hope they never get stupid enough to try it.

I know if anybody ever tries to put me out of my house and not give me replacement value, I may lose my life or freedom and my house. But I will not go quietly into the night...

6. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I suppose someone clever could real quick offer a bit more to those willing to sell in order to cobble together 11% and block the scum. Id still write the letter to their children, though.

7. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the fail is the law, in your mind? This should go into a banker fail thread or something like that.

8. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I think Florida can provide pages of fodder and hails of derisive laughter.

9. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    forcing people to sell their property to a private company at market value against their wishes, who do these people think they are? the liberals on the supreme court.

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No question. I'm just not sure the abuse of a well meaning law is something that fits.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Seminole County records, Gonzalez purchased her unit at Serenity at Tuskawilla from Prestwick Partners, a boutique property company run by two Miami lawyers. After Florida’s real estate crash, she had no intention of selling her unit; she figured its value would eventually bounce back. But she never got that chance. In 2013, Prestwick Partners filed papers to terminate the condominiums at Serenity at Tuskawilla.

Not all investment groups are out of state.

stanger repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, this type of crap needs to be called. The building codes that are supposed to be improved post-Andrew are far below what they should be, and there are many, many "questionable" homes/building built. What is not new is the shady way real estate and development are done in Florida, legally. They need to be called on this.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I see it, the Florida legislature attempted to correct a situation caused by absentee property owners but opened up a loophole now being taken advantage of by unscrupulous companies and people. It's an issue that needs to be addressed by the legislature.

We constantly harp on our elected officials for not doing anything but this is clearly a story where they did do something but it wasn't well thought out.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    How hard would it be for a judge to declare the law unconstitutional?

16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't though. It just needs to be tweaked.

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of you guys might be too young to remember that show Rescue 911 but a HUGE proportion of its stories involved people in Florida who were missing teeth.

roby and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Every time I click on this thread I brace myself for pictures of my brother in law.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Maybe he's my neighbor. Funny coincidence, looking at your profile, my in-laws live down the road from you (Haymarket).

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Unless you live in a retirement community, you should be safe from this particular demento. The big news in Haymarket is the new traffic pattern that's going to start in a couple of weeks - woohoo! Even duller than Manassas!

Barbara and dapip repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Un (?) luckily it seems that I will still have to work for another 20, 25, 30 years so no retirement community life.

And I do agree, Haymarket is dull as hell and too far from everything. But you can get relatively cheap McMansions, so there you go...

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Sounds like a sales slogan to me. :)

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can Haymarket be boring? They just built a SuperWalMart! And they have a Sheetz.

I didn't realize the traffic pattern change was that far along, cool - hopefully it helps, that intersection with I*-66 really slows me down on my way to Route 29 when I'm going south that way - we used to skip it and cut through town but they tore the bridge down and you can't miss that Rt 55 intersection.
    The graphic/video VDOT put together for the new traffic pattern once it's completed looked cool and has me very curious how it'll all work irl, I've been looking forward to seeing it.

* They tell me the nomenclature inTERstate is legit because the highway technically enters DC for almost a mile, but the whole damn road is in Va in my opinion (and DC's sure as hell not a state), it's like having an interstate in Hawaii :)

PS - Sorry to further soil the Florida Man thread with Va Hick-town stuff

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    MD has an interstate I-97 that's 100% in MD.