Flash 2014-2015 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Aug 31, 2014.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well D1 is off in the Summer. If she was determined to do it she would only miss a few games at Lyon before she returned.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    But that won't help WNY pre-cup though which at this point is the biggest hurdle for all these teams

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Also I'm hoping that teams will use the world cup to scout of and coming youngsters and not rely on experienced star players that are only using the NWSL as an extended vacation for a month or two.
    I rather they sign some younger player who will be around all year

holden, SiberianThunderT and kernel_thai repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I noticed Abily isnt on the French roster...is she hurt?

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yes. She got injured I think during the last international break

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes get them young and keep them as long as u can ... but even with that strategy, the NWSL wont take the next step forward until they can pay competitive money and offer a full season. U only have to look at Jasmine Reeves to see that. She's 22 and was pretty much a guaranteed starter yet she took a job instead.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The NWSL was noticeably absent from friendlies rosters. I havent seen England but Im guessing Taylor and Sanderson r there but Angerer is staying in Oz, Francielle seems to going to Nestle instead of doing both

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I'm not really bothered by the Reeves saga and I think it is not the norm. How many young promising players are retiring every year? Not a lot. I think people focus on the Reeves episode because it was just another episode in a long line of bad news for the Breakers.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well it's quality instead of quantity in this case. Reeves was on track to be a star in Boston, perhaps a star in the league with possible NT aspirations in the next cycle. She is exactly the player this league was designed for; that and to keep the NT players off the streets at night.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Someone was asleep on the job then in the Solo case...

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Which is a BIG if. As I said, it was a fan discussion that I didn't entirely follow to begin with.
    I mean, I doubt it too, but then again - is she that much less likely than Marta? (Just comparing the two: while other Tyreso players came stateside, Marta made it clear she wanted to stay in Sweden; on the other hand Abily said in an interview with OGM just this past June that she likes following NWSL, plus liked her 2yr stint in WPS. Not to mention Marta's about the most expensive player you could try to get out there.)

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And of course there is a major overlap with the Swedish season and the NWSL

13. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Do you have a link to said tweet? (Je parle français)

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here was the conversation:

from which I had taken away one celebrating Abily to NWSL, the first response saying Abily only mentioned playing abroad in general and not necessarily the USA, followed by the first person saying he/she still wants it to be to the USA.

holden repped this.
  15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaran and Charlie are still wheeling and dealing. However I guessed at what the 2015 roster might look like if the wheel stuck today. The table below shows the position, 2014 roster spot, and what the 2015 20-player roster might look like. I have not guessed at who the mystery major international midfielder is. The subsequent table is my assumption for the top 7 draft picks.

At least it gives a place to start from, as the pieces continue to whirl.
    ................The Flash maybe switching from Spaniards to Seminoles......

Pos-2014--------------------2015
    GK -Williams, Lydia -------Adrianna Franch
    GK -Wys, Kelsey -----------Kelsey Wys
    D -Barczuk, Amy -----------Alex Sahlen
    D -Allen, Tiegen ------------Arin Gilliland Pick #6
    D -Palmer, Haley -----------Haley Palmer
    D -Edmonds, Kristen -------Kristen Edmonds
    D -Reynolds, Katherine ----Canada allocated D - Emily Zurrer?
    D -Taylor, Brittany ---------Brittany Taylor
    D -Williamson, Kat ---------Whitney Engen
    M -Wetzel, Courtney --------Danielle Colapricio Pick #7
    M -Lloyd, Carli --------------Becky Edwards
    M -Losada, Vicky ------------Vicky Losada
    M -Salem, Angela ------------Amber Brooks
    M -Zerboni, McCall ----------Jordan Angeli
    MF-Kerr, Samantha ----------Samantha Kerr
    F -Martin, Adriana -----------Dagny Brynjarsdottir Pick #3
    F -Bermudez, Sonia ----------Mexico allocated - Sofia Huerta?
    F -Spencer, Jasmyne ---------Jasmyne Spencer
    F -Wambach, Abby -----------Abby Wambach
    R-Adriana Franch-------------India Trotter (R = anywhere needed)

Draft assumptions:
    1-Brian--------------Houston
    2-Dahlkamper------Sky Blue
    3-Brynjarsdottir----WNY
    4-Killion-------------Sky Blue
    5-Mewis-------------Chicago
    6-Gilliland-----------WNY
    7-Calapricio---------WNY

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It will be interesting what they do with Huerta. Last year they pulled Romero out of the draft and allocated her but they were giving players to all the teams. This year they r only allocating requested players. Even tho Huerta has been requested by multiple teams I dont see how Mexico decides which team gets her. They may just dcide to let her go thru the draft and then allocate her after. Im a little surprised no one has requested Corral after her CONCACAF showing.

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be the least bit surprised if our only allocations were Abby and Whitney. I doubt we get one from Mexico, since we traded the one we did have in Perez, and Iacchelli was a half-hearted effort by Herdman to find a warm body to pass off on us. And I don't think the FO is waiting for the Canadian and Mexican federations to even give us a scrub to fill space.

No, we're better off sticking to mostly US players. That formula worked for Portland last season and KC this season. Portland last season only had their two Canadian allocations, and everyone else was a US player. KC this season only had Gorry, and she was mostly a bench player.

Now that doesn't mean I won't be thrilled if we're able to draft Brynjarsdottir, and get Kerr back for even a half season. That would be awesome.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In regards to players like Brynjarsdottir Id love to see the draft moved up to December. I feel a lot of players considering playing in Europe will have already signed before there rights r even distributed in the NWSL.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    If they can't wait for the max 6 weeks at most between December and January when the draft is held, I'm not sure there's much can be done. Does the Europe transfer window even open in December?

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I tried to find the transfer window before I posted an failed. It is definitely open in the first half of January. Remember Brooks was drafted even tho she was going to BM. If they need to tie the draft to an event they be better off having right after the College Cup.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Ehn, I much rather enjoy the fan fare and publicity surrounding last year's draft at the convention.

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Questions-
    Did Leonardo Cuéllar announce that Mexico was only allocating requested players? When? - I missed it.
    Did he put a limit on total number of players?
    How would I find out which Mexican players have been requested, and which by multiple teams, as Huerta has and Corral hasn't?
    Thx.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Cuellar said that the only players requested for next season were Romero (Houston), Perez (Washington), Ocampo (Sky Blue) and Sierra (Boston)...at the same time he added that several teams had shown interest in Huerta being allocated to them. Since then I have heard Noyola was still in the picture in Houston but that was from another source. There is also the question of Cuellar (Washington) who is injured. This was before CONCACAF so there may have been interest in Corral since...I think she plays in Sweden currently.

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the information, very interesting. To expand/clarify my questions:

When and in what forum (interview, press conference, press release, tweet, blog, etc) did Leonardo Cuellar say these things? I do not think the articles linked in this forum contained that information.
    Did he put a limit on total number of players Mexico would allocate?
    Did the Mexican Federation say how many players it would support in the NWSL?
    Other than asking you, how could I find out which Mexican players have been requested?

Thanks.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #125 SiberianThunderT, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    Medio Tiempo article 10/28 that talked of an interview done, same article that mentioned the potential new Mexican League.
    He didn't put a limit on it, but it sounded like 4 was going to be it, since he specifically mentioned the 16-12-8-4 decrease in allocations.
    The four players stated by kernel were the ones, though from a different article; those four had actually been reported earlier by Equalizer on 9/18; I think I had posted said article in the offseason moves thread in the main forum a while ago.

CoachJon and kernel_thai repped this.