Flash 2014-2015 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Aug 31, 2014.

1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't think they ever were. She was only a trialist and never signed a contract.

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, today has pretty much sucked. First the US sucks up the place, and now we're trading Carli to the Dash. I hope whatever we get in return is worth it.

And yes, the Flash are still going to be my team. I meant it when I said they would be my team even if Carli were to leave. I'm not going to turn away now.

CoachJon repped this.
  3. GrassTopper

GrassTopper Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like they are getting two players in return, with Becky Edwards being one of them.
    Klingenberg is probably the other, but if it's Engen, then WNY won in that trade.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as much as I'm pissed off that Carli's leaving, I'd say we got a fair return for her. Edwards was a big part of the Dash, but Whitney never really gelled with the rest of the Dash backline. And since both players were part of the 2011 team, I guess Lines wants to bring that mojo back. And both players will most likely still be playing when Carli is past her prime.

Yeah..... we definitely got a great return on giving up our best player.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really, really like the trade: two starters for one, and former Flash players to boot! Flash needed to shore up the defense; I never imagined they would get Engen. Edwards fills the DMid spot. Assuming Franch, Taylor, Williamson, Reynolds, Palmer, Edmonds, and Alex Sahlen come back: the Flash will not lose all those one-goal games and will not concede late game goals they did last year. If Flash want to get down to 6 defenders, Reynolds, Edmonds, or Palmer need to be traded, or Alex Sahlen needs to decide not to play. Lines will work out the rest of the midfield.

Now I really hope Sarah Killion will be available at pick #3. The need to get a starting defender is far less critical.

Prediction - Yoreli Rincon ends up in Houston with the Dash.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That would be really cool! However, I doubt Houston burns an international slot on a young, relatively unproven player that will also be gone for the WWC.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I'd rather take Brynjarsdottir if she enters the draft. We need firepower now, since the majority of last season's goals are now overseas or in Texas.

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't looked at her stats until today. I thought she was a defender :oops:. Now I see why you have been advocating for her. - I agree.

On another matter, how sure are you that McCall is not coming back? - I have seen clues supporting that, but no smoking gun. If Scott Vallow can't move his son out of state b/c his ex-wife won't allow it, that might be incentive for McCall to come back.

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though she was on my crap list briefly last year, she's a goal scorer, and with most of our goals unlikely to return this season, we desperately need one of those.

I'm about 90% positive that we've seen the last of McCall in a Flash kit.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)Nice complete answer with no additional information volunteered, except the phrase 'in a Flash kit.' Well done:thumbsup: ...really; I'm not being sarcastic. Anyway, she's a Cali girl, and SoCal at that. Big family. Assuming she wants to stay in the Pacific Time Zone, that means Seattle or Portland next year. Portland may be ripe for some change. In the past Paul Riley was quoted saying she belonged on the National Team. Assuming she is still under contract with the Flash, then a trade with Portland could bring a good player to WNY. Any chance of Jess McDonald or Mana Shim? Shim maybe - it seems she was on Riley's not favorite players list.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Given all the fuss Portland is making about Jess, I doubt they let her go especially with Morgan and Sinc not being available all season.
    Riley also may not like Shim but with Kerr retiring and most people not knowing if Vero will be back, Shim should play an important part next season.

Now Seattle on the other hand could use the services of Zerboni if Scotland qualifies for the world cup.

I know we have made any changes to our sqaud but I think we should as it's nice to change things up a bit.

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. First we lose Carli, now Ang and Reynolds? It seems like we're getting rid of as much of last season's team as we can.

I think we got skunked a bit on this deal. We're losing 2 players that have a great amount of experience and we get a player that spent 3 years on the shelf and barely saw the field last year. The first round pick helps a bit, but unless whoever we pick pans out, this trade will favor the Spirit.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    You guys needed to make a change because last year just wasn't working, with the arrival of Edwards, having Salem is redundant and also, she didn't exactly inspire fear in opposing teams offense last year.
    Losing Reynolds may hurt but from what I have been hearing, this year draft is stacked with good outside backs so many you guys will draft someone who can cross. Also, Haley Palmer started coming into her own at the end of the season so she's a competent backup.
    With 3/9 picks in the first round, you guys are guarantee to strike gold on at least 2/3 of those picks.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Ang this past season was she started off playing too recklessly, then played too timidly once she got her 4th yellow. Last year she was much better at playing with controlled aggression. This season, not so much. I did say in my player review that maybe it was time for both players to move elsewhere, but I didn't think Lines would actually do it. Of course that was before the hiring of Naimo and the trade of Carli. It just feels like the club is distancing itself from an embarrassing season by cutting and trading as many of the players from this season as possible.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    =-?
    It's just three players so far, which is far from atypical for a team's offseason turnover. This year's WNY still has a long way to go to even come close to what Harvey did last season in SEA.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I guess the lesson here is that be careful what you post, lol

holden repped this.
  17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quiet, you :p

3 players traded, a couple waived, and possibly more not re-signed. And I get the sense that the wheeling and dealing isn't finished in Buffalo. Hopefully one of those moves involves Barczuk leaving. 2 seasons and she's done very little to justify keeping her around.

18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week Lines traded for 2 former '11 Flash players, but this week trades away 2 long time players for him. Maybe this one is Naimo's new influence for wanting high college picks?; the Flash record on college picks was not good this past season.
    the Flash roster page has 17 players.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still confused as to how the Flash had 5 picks in a loaded draft class, yet completely botched it. Even the previous draft wasn't good if you take away AD. Lines must have seen the success that other teams had with their drafts, and wants to build for the future that way.

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It might also have been motivated by salary cap concerns. Not that Reynolds and Salem made that much, but the salary cap is so low they might have been deemed as taking up too much space for players with reduced roles next season.

21. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what you do when you rebuild. Trade away the veterans and get younger. Commit to a few years of losing and hope the young players you acquired develop.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    that's not how laura rebuilt seattle. there's obviously another way to rebuild, but it's tough.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so; the goal for 2015 season is the Championship.

For me there are pluses and minuses to the trade. I will miss Angie and both players are part of the Flash core and culture (which wins championships). And if Zerboni and Adriana do not come back, that will take even more of that away. Fortunately Becky and Whitney have Flash blood in them and maybe Alex Sahlen will be back. It's cool that Salem and Reynolds are going together and I think that makes a year at Atlanta, 3 at WNY and now another at Washington as teammates. Katherine (not Kat) Reynolds has been a mainstay and Salem has great game, but you have to give up value to get value.

Angeli is a very good player and has a high work rate and an attacking mentality. 3 picks in the first round? Perhaps one will be traded away before the wheel stops spinning.

24. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From another thread:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...0/21/trade-latest-move-remake-flash/17697847/

"...A major benefit of the deal is stockpiling draft picks. WNY owns the No. 3 (its own), No. 6 (via Washington) and No. 7 (via Portland in a trade last spring) selections in the nine-pick first round of January's draft. "My new technical director (Charlie Naimo) is very high on this draft class," Lines said..."

25. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    And if they were going the route Seattle took, they are doing it completely wrong. Seattle got better by trading away their draft picks and signing 2 top tier internationals. WNY on the other hand hired Naimo and acquired more draft picks. I think it's pretty obvious that they are taking a different route. Especially since it's a WWC year and they won't be able to get top tier internationals for the whole season. I think this is the smarter route.

Seattle might get lucky and Scotland doesn't qualify for the WWC, but they'll still struggle without Rapinoe, Leroux, and Kawasumi. FCKC on the other hand has built their team using a lot of draft picks. When Holiday, Sauerbrunn, and A-Rod are away, they'll have players like Tymrak/Silva, LePeilbet/Kallman, and Hagen/Marlborough to back them up.

If WNY can get some players that are immediately able to make an impact like Tymrak, Kallman, and Richmond were for FCKC, they'll be so much better off. And there are quite a few players in this draft that can probably do just that. And I completely trust Naimo to find them.