Flags & Banners 2008 Version

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by *rey*, Sep 17, 2007.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    all right bros (and sisters, too):

last night at the Mezz, dr. ludicruous and mr. *rey* were talking about how the majority of the flags and banners will need to be replaced for 2008. some of them are starting to look and smell their age. this is to be done in the off-season. MLS Cup is the weekend of November 17th (after we win it again) and the Texian Army Year-End Bash is probably the following week. no rest for the wicked, bcuz that's only 2 months away. please use this post for design suggestions.

please see dr. ludicrous and *rey* if you have suggestions, comments or would like to help in the painting. last year we had a good group come out to help.

NOTE: please be serious about this. these are our flags and what represents us, Texian Army. keep BS jokes, lame designs and your fkn' ego out of this discussion.

last year's designs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one is missing by the way. who has it?

[​IMG]

2. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :p Go check the TA boards, buddy.

3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    please.:rolleyes: i never go on the TA boards. its a bunch of losers. besides, last year the best idea came from a non-active Texian Army member. the brainstorming is better over here. no stop fkn with this thread!

4. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then how come I just saw you log on to the boards? :D

But yeah, if it isn't obvious: I'm in.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Flags and Banners, we need an inventory check of our current stock.

We have (had) 7 of the Tri-Bar Flags.

Whomever got the new pvc flag poles good job, yet they are too thick and we need the 3/4 ones.

The Lion of Judah and Black Star are in good order.

The Misfits one I have not seen in a while.

Kat is right however, IMHO I would prefer this line of discussion be taken to our private boards. Sabes Rey!

6. elementbr10

elementbr10 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Texas City, TX
    I'll throw this idea out again. After we win in DC, this would be appropriate for next year again.
    [​IMG]

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    if you win wouldn't you have 2 stars? :p

8. elementbr10

elementbr10 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Texas City, TX
    Technically, yes. But the flag was made as an alternate version of the regular come and take it flag. If they wanted to add another star for another year, that's fine too.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth, but we are the Lone Star State.

Anymore Championships and we will have to go to the "Ace" set up. Each star is for 5 MLS Cup victories.

A club can never have too many Championships, but too many stars starts to look gaudy. You blackbirds have made your crest into a Cops badge with all those gold stars! ;)

10. SergentOrange

SergentOrange New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Spring
    I have 15 yards of orange camo material if y'all want it?

11. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude that's awesome you brought that up!

It would be a sweet lookin' flag. Could be Old Espana, Old French, Mexican National on one side and then Texas State, USA and then CSA on the other. In the middle put a big Orange state of Texas on a black background.

Back in the day with our old Houston HurricaneS FC I incorporated the concept of celebrating the Six FLags Over Texas as a way of organizing the seating sections at Butler and Delmar. It never really was able to gain traction. Very few BigSoccer die hards made it out to those HISD Stadiums back then.

13. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    how would you go about that? i mean, i was thinking about ordering them all and just flying them seprately, but really like your idea, sew them into a tapestry flag? is there a good way of painting it?

14. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
  15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flying them seperately just sends a different message IMHO. Seperate they speak of each culture but put together with the State of Texas at center speaks to one culture....ours!

Each Flag left its mark on our heritage and that's the angle I tried to run with back in the day. Not to mention Houston's massive diversity. All put togther and the Six Flags Over Texas speaks to how the beautiful game and our Dynamo can continue to be the cornerstone of this in our city.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hmmm. I'll look into it.

Those old French and Spanish flags might be tough as will the Confederate national flag. The Battle Flag is easy but I don't think we want to carry that one in.

There is a really good flag store, American Eagle Trading, on Harwin that might have them.

Their website says they have the French one. We could cheat a little and carry the Castile y Leon Spanish flag.

[​IMG]

Actually that one is correct for one period of Spanish rule over Texas so it would work. They have that one as well.

And they have the Stars and Bars.

I should be able to get out to that store this weekend and try to get them.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I am a very big stickler for the true CSA National Flag aka the 'Stars and Bars' as produced in 1861.

The Confederate 'Battle' Flag is just that, the banner taken into battle. Unfortunately it has been hijacked by psychos and haters for so long that it's been ruined for public display. Quanel X would throw a shit fit in the mold of Sylvia and who knows how the media would run with it to sell some sheets.

This is the Flag of Coronado, Ponce de Leon and the like who traversed the Guld Coast and Plains states. It's what is in use in Austin.

[​IMG]

Get them in the lightest material possible cuz with my Texian Army Battle Flag that SOB can get heavy with so much fabrique. Nylon is needed sports fans.

18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like earlier this year, I'll help out however I can. I'll keep inside the lines too :p

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    there's no complicated flag for the TIFO committee anymore (actually we're a 2-man shop, but we depend on the help of many able/talented volunteers). that's the purpose of this thread. share ideas and if the majority agrees it will be produced.

my aunt has access to industrial sewing machines (she works for an interior decorator). someone get me all the flags and i will return with the tapestry. simple as that......if you need money for the flag purchase see Dre or Nobious about that.

20. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    deal, and idea.

sewing together six three by 5 flags with a middle row for a dynamo logo/ star/ whatever would make a (math time).....

9 by 20 flag, think that would be a decent overhead flag? need more size?

edit: also found the fleur 23
    http://www.eagleflag.com/hist/fleurdlis23.html

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    go with Castile & Leon since that's the proper one.

and i think we all agree no confederate battle flag, but the national flag will be OK. heck, the majority of people won't know unless your a History Nerd. and besides we're flying it with everything else as part of our historical background and not putting it front and center.

ps - more atrocities were comitted under the Spanish flag during that time then the CSA flag. this isn't even debatable. the Spanish tore up sht from Argentina to present-day Oregon. also in Northern Africa, Europe, the Holy Land and Asia. not even close.....

22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

you mean 9' X 15'. i wish it was bigger, but in this instance we're going to be limited by the size of the nylon flags. and don't worry we're working on something BIGGER with another design.

suggestion for placement:

[Castile&Leon] [Fleurd'Lis] [Mexico]
    [plainOrangeNylon] [DynamoLogoFlag] [plainBlackNylon]
    [CSA] [LoneStarTexas] [USA]

any other suggestions on placement?

can someone photoshop. please galaxykat!!!!!!!!!! i promise to be nicer to people.

23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like being a History Nerd that can and will kick people's teeth in.

Not to mention the small matter that slavery was common practice for roughly 250 years under the British Union Jack and of course common under the Stars and Stripes for 90 years. But no one makes a fuss about those flags being waved where as the CSA flag flew for 4 years almost to the day....a freakin' World Cup cycle and yet it's attacked for the legacy.
    Sam Houston lost his place in Texas politics cuz he wanted to see Texas remain in the Union. That took balls the size of the AstroDome to stand tall like that back then!

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, don't ******** up the chronological order Rey. Its Espana, the Frogs, the Mexicans, Texas as a Republic, the USA and then the CSA.

25. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    hey i meant it in a nice way! :D

let's make this tapestry happen bro, its going to be nice. and it may be able to happen before the playoffs this year since we only have to acquire and sew. but we're going to have to be nice to this one and keep it clean (fold it after use) since it involves national flags and we got to respect all of them. i know you understand.

any ideas on placement of flags?