Flag for Club and Country

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Blackbox, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In some international matches, a common sight in the stands is too see fans with a flag of their country adorned with the name of the club they support in their domestic league. I feel like I see it especially with English fans but also when other European and Latin American teams play. To those that regularly attend USMNT games, do you see this phenomenon from American fans? For example, an American flag with Chicago Fire or Los Angeles Galaxy written on it? I've always thought this diversity in a display of unity is one of the most fascinating sights to witness in the stands.

[​IMG]

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Don't deface the American flag. This includes writing on it.

#2 I'd like to think that for one day, we can all put aside our various club loyalties and unite for the country. IMO, it's potentially too divisive to have the various clubs represented. If we can show up supporting our various clubs by waving their banners/flags, then what's to stop someone from taking it farther and wearing a club jersey or starting club chants? "Well, this guy is gonna show up with a BarnBurners support USA, so I'm gonna show up in a Houston jersey, wearing a Houston flag".

Honestly, it won't kill anyone to leave the Crew/Fire/Revs/whatever stuff at home. It's a slippery slope, and I'd rather see it avoided.

3. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do not write or modify the American flag. It is EXTREMELY frowned upon in our culture.

Why?

I don't know why it just is.

Remember just because Europe or Latin America does it does mean we should, too. They do a lot of dumb things in and out of soccer that really make no sense. Hell, we fought a war to get away from them and their way of thinking.

This is a non-starter, bro.

No club gear at national team games

4. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I'm definitely not trying to spark an argument whether it's "right" or not. Just more curious if this sort of international soccer fan behavior has ever made an appearance from US fans. I don't have any strong loyalties to any foreign clubs so, for instance, when I see England's fans with all their flags, to me it's a real spectacle despite whether I'd consider it "right" for Americans to do or not. From a neutral's perceptive, in some ways it's just as interesting as any typical tifo.

And I wonder if fans abroad feel these sentiments. I obviously can't speak from experience, but I'd be willing to guess what you'd consider divisive behavior, they'd probably consider a show of unity. Some know from experience that when fans of various MLS clubs get together (like at say the supporter's convention), it's a real unique and unifying experience that otherwise during gameday could feel the opposite. I see it as diversity supporting a common cause, not a game of one-upsmanship .

5. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However that is a good point.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed 100%. Some European and Latin American fans have been known to do things that a lot of us might find extremist, as we all know. To some people, it might be "natural" to meet up somewhere in conjunction with a match and fight until the riot police show up. Obviously, we don't need that here, nor do we want it. The banners, flags, and drums? Sure, bring that aspect on. The point is that just because someone else does it, doesn't mean we have to adopt it.

No club gear. If your club jersey is red or blue, that's fine. Just leave it at home. IMO, this also extends to non-MLS teams. If you want to wear a Dempsey Fulham jersey, think twice. Heck, a shirt from an American band or just a plain red, white, or blue shirt is a good idea.

7. sdoutlaws

sdoutlaws BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's always Country over Club.

And I don't Care if you Like it or not.

8. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we were banned from any tifo displays and flag waving at USA home matches because Sunil got hyper-sensitive about some of the supporters yelling "You Suck, Asshole!"

Last I checked, anyway.

9. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, this is going overboard. The question I'm asking is a lot more innocent than I feel it's being taken. I'm not trying to encourage club representation over a country and I'm not trying to play-up foreign ideas to step on the toes of those that look down on these sorts of practices. My opinion of thinking it's an interesting display does not mean I'm looking to go out and do this. This is not a club vs country debate. I honest to god just didn't know of this common practice elsewhere had ever been done here.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a good reason why I'd wear any club gear when going to a US game.

11. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. Just bring AO chapter banners and hang those things up everywhere. Good way to "rep your hood" without doing the unthinkable and writing on the US flag...it would be awesome to see dozens of different chapter banners in Brazil. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that every US city with an MLS team has a chapter so there shouldn't be an issue there.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't see an issue with state flags

13. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Dempsey Revs would be LEGIT

14. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I've been bringing the AZ flag to every game. Finally got it attached to a PVC Piping pole, so you'll see it flying in the stands for every US game in the southwest.

15. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the jerseys with the state name and number it was added to the Union. I have a Kansas 34, for instance.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I brought an Alaska flag to some gold cup games but had more than a few people ask me weird questions like, "where in Australia are you from?" :confused:

1 person likes this.
  17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone had the idea of buying a big-ass flag with all the US flags sewn together. Any update on that bad boy, or was that an idea which never happened?

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. The name on the front of the jersey is much more important than the name on the back. No club gear at US games. We're supporting the US team, not our club teams.

A New England Dempsey jersey could lead to a Columbus Marshall jersey, a Chicago McBride jersey, or who knows what. And yes, I know McBride is retired, but someone could get the idea to honor him by wearing the Chicago jersey.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't know but that would be pretty cool.

20. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the handful of obvious states, I think most Americans would be hard pressed to be able to recognize the majority of state flags. I know I would. When the US played England in SA, a number of my buddies who watched with me commented on how "sweet" it was that the English fans wrote where they were from/what club team they root for/hi mom etc on their flags (they barely knew anything about soccer). I'll say it again that AO chapter banners might give us the best of both worlds, ensuring local representation that is at least RECOGNIZABLE.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know all fifty states flags either, but Australia was an odd pick.

22. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty crazy. In Cali, during the GC Final, I had loads of Mexico fans come up to me and ask me "What flag is that?" I told them AZ, and they all had great responses. I was expecting this cloud of hatred to hover over, but I was wrong.

23. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be thinking of bringing a Wisconsin flag to some games as well. They should be able to identify it considering our name of our state is right at the top of our flag :rolleyes:

Now, if only I attended a match with it when Jay Demerit was a key part of our defense, then it REALLY would have been appropriate

24. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    It sounds like it bothers you quite a bit, but I doubt it bothers most people.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a US game should be a cornucopia of MLS jerseys? Let the Section 8'ers wear their Fire Ultras t-shirts, HSH wear their "hooligan gear" and let Barra Brava wear their BBDC bandanas.