Five Thoughts - Canadian National Arena Soccer Team vs. Baltimore Blast

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Buddy98, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    1. Special Feel. When Danny Kelly was quoted in The Baltimore Sun as saying the exhibition game would have a "special feel," I thought it was just hyperbole. Boy was he right. The game took on a feel of a regular season game that would have ramifications on both teams. The level of physicality was intense. It was easy to see on the players' and coaches faces that a win would mean a whole lot to them. This certainly beat watching an NFL preseason game by several miles.

2. What Can We Glean from This? Most of us, including myself, are quick to point to exhibition games when they fit our expectations of an upcoming season and just as quick to dismiss them when they do not. I believe will win their division and make it to at least the conference final this season. What is important to acknowledge is how the team blew a three-goal lead due to playing conservative after building a lead. With the short SECU Arena field, the team probably should do away with the plodding style it will often take with a decent lead against a good team. It is very easy for a team down by a few or even several goals to get back into a game.

3. Blind Officiating. There were a couple times when the officials had some pretty big misses. First off, Juan Pereira was down for a long time with an injury, even when the Blast had control of the ball. Yelling had to get the refs to notice. Secondly, the Canadian National Arena team had a too many men penalty that was missed. This was not a case of it being a second. They played a good amount of time with too many men. One Canadian dove onto the Blast bench when he realized it. Play was stopped but no penalty given.

4. Red Card. A player on the Canadian National Team - I didn't catch who it was - received a red card for striking Adriano Dos Santos. Dos Santos shoved him. It took seemingly forever for the refs to eject the Canadian player and to give Dos Santos a penalty for pushing. I thought Mike Deasel might get something for looking for blood, but he was let off.

5. All Eyes on Me. I sit behind the goal. At one point, the ball got caught in all of the netting at that adorns the goal. I had a heckuva time trying to free the ball. They brought another ball into play while I was fiddling with it. Another fan helped me and we got it. I felt like I was the center of the world for a bit.

NSL2004, KimZaccha!! and Scooge repped this.
  2. KimZaccha!!

KimZaccha!! Member

Oct 27, 2016
    That is why I don't even bother when the ball lands like that. Too much pressure.

I agree and like your thoughts, Buddy

Buddy98 repped this.
  3. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
  4. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great test for the Blast in the preseason!