Fitbit as secondary watch?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Schlager, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    @Ickshter sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but -- you have bought and successfully installed the unlock code?

2. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By George I think you are onto something. Or on something... ;) I double checked where I put in my verification code, and noticed I had a "0" as one of my numbers. I changed it to an "O" and now I think the changes are taking effect. Sort of silly that if a verification code was not good it doesn't say invalid code it just looks the same. I never had to adjust the 45 minute times because that is what I use for HS up here. I am running it again and I will let you know what happens. I may just owe you a adult beverage of your choice!

3. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Ok so lurking on this thread and you guys have me so close to buying a vivoactive ($80 refurb on eBay) or fr230...

I wonder if there is a way to make the gps plots into a heat map... that would be very cool.

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well? C'mon, I'm holding my breath here ...

5. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston we are go for main engine launch! Ran it on the way home. hit the button at 45 minutes, went to break, then started 2nd half like a real watch should. ;) Thanks for leading me in that direction. I have a GV match today, I will give it another whirl.

6. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like this one:

Like this one: Screenshot_20170404-095007.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Great! Do any of your HS games involve the possibility of OT?

8. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    FYI, Garmin doesn't support activation codes, you both have the same activation code FYI. 2 of the referee timer apps have almost the same code at the software level. I opened them both up in Java and wasn't too impressed. So if you get a second watch you can use the same code on that one or with any friends.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'd rather not know that. The app is well worth more to me than the paltry 2.5 euro he's asking.

I don't speak Java, but I do speak referee, and I like the app a lot.

cmonref and Ickshter repped this.
  10. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. in WI we run 45min halves. That's it, game over. If we get into the playoffs, then we go 2 10 minute OT's no golden goal. So I assume that is where I would go into the extra time part of the set up.

11. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not the way I referee :cool:

voiceoflg and IASocFan repped this.
  12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yep. Let me know if and when you get to that point and I'll walk you through it if necessary.

13. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    The difference between a good and a great referee. Lol

14. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I'm still loving this app on my Forerunner 235 - I wish I didn't have to wear a second backup watch because I now never look at it. In particular, I'm really happy with how it works around injury and stoppage time:
    --when I stop time, it vibrates every few seconds to remind me I stopped the clock - no more looking down and realizing that I forgot to restart (not like that ever happened). I'm much more willing to do quick stop-and-starts and not count in my head.
    --a simple vibrations when clock time ends, so I don't have to be watching that, and so I have a trigger to calculate and signal amount of stoppage time.

It feels like it's actually designed by someone who 1) is a referee and 2) has good design sense.

I've always used my previous watch as a count-up time, but I switched the main face here to count-down; fewer calculations to do during the run of play, and when I need to write something down, it's on the face anyway. Oh, and if the game is sloooow, it's nice to have that information. :)

I have noticed (as above) that sometimes the satellite map and the GPS tracking don't reflect reality. (I didn't run through the bench area on my last game.) I'm assuming that's just slightly-off Digital Globe etc. data.

cmonref repped this.
  15. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    3)experienced the joy of changing the batteries in their spintso

cmonref repped this.
  16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Has anybody communicated with the author of the app? I might try to do so with a small wishlist item (ability to access summary for more than just the last game - or did I miss that?).

17. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I sent him a message a few weeks ago, but never heard back.

incidentally, I had the App before it became paid and mine still works like a charm, so I guess I was lucky to get in on "beta" in a sense.

It's been really awesome

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    And you get the full credit for bringing it to our attention ... thanks!

19. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I have a couple of Forerunners, currently a 610 as primary. It was on sale on woot at one point. As a result of this thread, I picked up a refurbished vivoactive on Amazon. It should be here in a few days. I plan to revisit this thread to sort out all of the setup tips.

20. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worked like a charm last night. was AR1 for GV game.
    [​IMG]

Looks fairly accurate! Not a very competitive game. The app seems to categorize the 1st half/break/2nd half into "laps" so I can look at each lap in the review and see the miles and pace of each half. I can also "play" my run and it will scroll through the whole match and I can follow where I am on the map and my heart rate and speed and things. Pretty cool.

One thing bubba, I thought I saw a pic you had of your match summary from the app and not from the watch face. I can only see it on the watch face which really doesn't help me because the type is so small and I don't read well without cheaters ;).

Oh one other thing that startled me, about half way through the 2nd half my watch started vibrating and I though I somehow hit the pause button. Looked at the watch and found out I had made my step goal for the day... :thumbsup:

21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    No that was a photo of the watch face.

AndI deleted the step counter from my watch so it wouldn't do that.

22. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    BTW, I'm seeing this in a few pictures: in the settings bucket, one option is to turn off GPS at halftime, so it doesn't catch your walk to the middle/locker room/press box/bathroom/whatever. Seems more aesthetically pleasing, too. I forget what it's called but you can all find it. :)

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  23. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I saw that in the options as well, but I want to count all the distance I put in. ;)

Also, it will tell me how fast I had to leave the pitch after the match.

24. Joe Waco

Joe Waco Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm going to get back into reffing (at least the youth game). I have a Forerunner 35 that I plan on using as my secondary watch. Don't know the best way to set it up. I know that when you set up intervals it counts down, so I figured I would just create intervals based on the half length.

25. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Not much new. Just wanted to draw your attention to the stat in the upper right there. IT'S ALMOST MAY FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!

In other news. Has anyone had this app shut down their watch? Happened to me last week. Everything was set. I blow the whistle to start and hit the button on the watch and... Blank screen. Luckily I wear two watches so the other was working, but my Garmin went all the way through the boot up and came back about 2 minutes later. I just hit the start button as soon as I had time and it worked perfectly, so just a reminder to not have this app as your only time source.