Fitbit as secondary watch?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Schlager, Feb 8, 2017.

1. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Go to the app and select the event. It will initially show you street view, but click to enlarge and you get Google Earth.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hmm. It's downloaded to the phone, and I get the summaries, but I don't see a tracking picture anywhere. I guess I need to keep playing with it. (Maybe because me test "game" I was just inside a building it didn't have a good GPS signal and didn't make a map?)

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    When you backed out of the app did it prompt you to save activity?

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    yes -- its saved and I can get to the summary on my phone

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Apparently it was becausd my tèst was inside and it couldn't read the GPS. Did a test outside and it couldn't have been any easi

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #106 Bubba Atlanta, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Here's a screenshot from my pregame walk around the field tonight:

upload_2017-3-30_21-48-5.jpeg

Not bad, especially as I did not take any pains to stay on the lines. I wandered a bit, picking up junk, going behind the goals, etc. It's clearly sampling and interpolating somewhat. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that lets you adjust the sampling rate; I vaguely remember reading about something like that somewhere.

We ended up going to KFTM, which was OK with me as it was a nice evening, we only had the one game, and I hadn't had a chance to practice that drill in quite a while.

Better yet I remembered to set the app for OT before the game (a simple toggle once you have it initially set up for the lengths of your OT periods), which made it work all the more smoothly. I like it more every time I use it.

cmonref repped this.
  7. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Id be curious what it looks like if you did stick to the lines.

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'll try to be more attentive to the task next time.

Doug the Ref repped this.
  9. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Here's AR data from one my recent games. I maintain myself 1 yard from the line till I get to the bench.

Attached Files:

10. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    What device were you wearing, and were you ever 3-4 lanes into the track?
    I don't expect a gps watch to be pinpoint accurate, but it does seem that some are better in that regard than others.

11. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a 410 and now have a 920xt and on regular runs it clearly shows what side of the street I am on and even on golf cart paths or when I run in the middle up and out in a cull de sac the path will be on top of itself. On the rare occasions I run track intervals it is right on top of itself, although again it does not always line up with Google Earth image of the track.

In other words it is pretty close to pinpoint accurate, at least in my use - I believe the synch with Google Earth is what is less consistent as at the same venue sometimes it seems I am dead on the field and other times several yards off.

12. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #112 Ickshter, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Ok, so I'm an idiot and don't know what buttons to push during the actual game. I only made it until half time then I got to the "save event" and started all over again for the second half.

Here was my walk around the field. I did stay on the lines and it did pretty well.
    [​IMG]

Then I was AR2 for the JV match. I only recorded the first half because I became flustered not being able to stop the time at half and go into the halftime interval...

[​IMG]

Then CR for the Varsity match. These were 2 not very talented teams. 0-0 at half I had a few CK's on the north side of the field. None on the south end. You can see I didn't have to get very deep on the south side. Team would try to send thru balls that the keeper would gobble up before they got close.

[​IMG]

2nd half One goal scored on the south side. Ended 1-0.

[​IMG]

So, yea, I need to figure out how the app moves from the first half to the 2nd half.. It isn't really friendly for HS matches, but I think I can figure it out.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    If you want to know how close you are to the touch lines as an AR, GPS is simply not that accurate (well, at least not this generation of GPS).

http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/

14. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Alright to get more accurate GPS points on the Garmin you have to set it for GPS + glonass.

15. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Obviously this will negatively effect battery life, by how much, I will find out tomorrow and report back.

16. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you have the option to set your gps watch to one second recording as opposed to "smart" recording, I would set it to one second as well.

I ordered and have since returned a garmin forerunner 10, then I bought something called a suunto track pod. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm anxious to see if it is any more accurate than the watch.

17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I don't think my $100 refurb Vivoactive has those options. And I think it has a 4-to-7 second sampling rate, which means some corners are literally going to be cut.

18. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I think it isn't registering that I have two halves.. Maybe I am not pressing the buttons right. But I am really impressed with the GPS accuracy. Here is the field walk of my VG scrimmage yesterday.
    [​IMG]

It was a duel, so not sure how good my positioning is. Of course I have both halves because I seem too stupid to figure out how to let it run a full game...

[​IMG]

2nd half

[​IMG]

Love all the info I get though. Had a top speed of 14MPH. Didn't know I had it in me... ;)

dehoff03 repped this.
  19. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Are you using the ref app? If so go to settings and set it for two halves on the time settings.

20. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #120 Bubba Atlanta, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    @Ickshter did you figure it out?

The other thing to do (in addition) if you have any chance of having to go to OT in any of your HS games is to go ahead and program the app for two five-minute OT periods. Then if you have a game where OT is a possibility, you just toggle that on before the start with Menu/Extra Time Setup/Extra Time?/Yes. Remember you have to actually tap on Yes, like all the other have-to-taps.

21. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a match on Tuesday where I will try again. Yes I am using the Referee app.

So should I NOT be pressing any buttons at the half to start the 10 minutes in between? Or maybe since I might not have had it set up for 2 halves that when I hit the button to stop it just asked to save the activity.

I hope to have this figured out by the time the boys season starts in August... :unsure:

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Push once at end of half to start half time. Then push once to start second half. (So far as I can tell, you do need to let the first half time run out to start half time. So if you blow three seconds early and push the button, it will put you into stoppage time instead of half time.)

A good way to play with it is to set up 3 minute halfs and just play with it while doing something else.

I used it for the first time over the weekend, and quite liked it.

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    That's exactly what would happen (I think) if you had not previously set it to two periods.

Once properly set up, it wants (and tolerates) a minimum of input at the half. As socal said, once first period time has run, a single press ends the period and starts the halftime clock running. You can start the second half whenever you like; all it takes is another single press.

24. Cactus837

Cactus837 New Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Mar 19, 2017
    I'll be wearing an Apple Watch Series 2 for a handful of games this weeked. Any suggestions on apps to use other than GOREF or RefLIVE? I might just stick to the simple timer. We shall see.

25. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am stumped... I have been here all morning at work hitting running through the set up. Putting in 2 halves. 45 minutes and just letting it run. at 45 minutes it vibrates so I hit the right button and it just goes to "Save activity?" If I hit no it gives me the display that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

then goes back to the starting point... I'm an idiot I guess. Love the App, and it is the poor musician that blames the instrument, I guess I am doomed to breaking down by each half each time...