Fitbit as secondary watch?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Schlager, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'm pretty sure it will support a HR chest band (along with various other peripheral devices) which you can buy separately. Do some research before you buy one of any brand that reads your HR on your wrist. From what I've read none of those are very accurate. I know my Samsung Gear S2 is not worth a crap in that particular respect, decent as it is in most others.

2. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so I am thinking the vivoactive might be what I should be looking at. I like the square facing better than the round one of the Forerunner 230 and 235. If I am looking at these right. The 230 of the forerunner do NOT have a HR monitor, I don't feel like wearing a chest one. So I would be looking at a Vivoactive HR or the froerunner 235. I can get the Vivoactive HR refurbished through Amazon for $150. Sounds like a fair price. And I will be able to use this app you are using. I can pan off my Fitbit charge 2 to the SO for $100 and it comes out to a fair trade. $50 for the added functions? That is half of a contract from a G JV/V game I have scheduled next week.

3. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica

You got it. From what I've read (and I'm one of those people who over researches everything) people don't seem to mind the little bump on the wrist-hr monitors. The Garmins do a pretty good job , although nothing's perfect. There's a guy who reviews all of the GPS watches and is really thorough, he's who helped me decide on the 230.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

I think you'll be happy. I wanted one for a long time.

Ickshter repped this.
  4. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I have the Forerunner 235, and I find the HR monitor to be excellent during activity, with virtually no flutter during consistent-intensity exercises. The resting heart rate numbers seem a bit more inconsistent.

I like having HR monitoring without requiring a chest strap - you use the data more often if you have it more easily available. The wrist bump has been a non-issue.

+1 on the DC Rainmaker reviews - they're excellent.

5. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I have the charge 2 that has the heart rate monitor. and yea I am sure it isn't perfect, but when I am working out and compare my fitbit to what my treadmill or elliptical are saying they are usually pretty close. (but the exercise equipment may be crap as well).

After reading your link to the reviews I am more convinced the Vivoactive is the one for me. The forerunner units seem to be more focused with just the running aspects, and that is what you are paying more for. I don't need that, because I don't do a lot of straight running. Do more elliptical and biking to help keep the knees intact.

Thanks for all the new information guys. You have me sold. I am going with refurbished and save myself $100 and hope it doesn't come back and bite me in the backside.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #81 Bubba Atlanta, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    So far my refurb Vivoactive seems good as new. (Knocking wood. And silicon.)

I really like using it with the Ref Watch app for HS games where I'm keeping time on the field and starting/stopping for goals and PKs and such, because the start/stop is very positive (more so than my venerable Casio) and it vibrates to remind me I've stopped it. And I liked it just as much for those first couple of club games where it made it very easy to keep track of stoppage time.

Battery life with and without GPS active seems very good. Not sure yet, but based on usage thus far I'm fairly confident it would at least be adequate for three 90-minute matches (with GPS on), which is the most I'll ever do.

I'm very happy with it - especially for a hundred bucks.

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    By the way, you can edit that (after the fact) in the Garmin app on your phone, add game notes, etc.

8. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have 2 smart watches and yes the battery of them will typically last about a day, 2 at the most. If I turn on GPS I'll be lucky to get 5-6 hours of battery life. But you can't compare a Garmin to a smart watch. Yes Garmin has some smart functionality like being able to receive text and email notifications and maybe weather but that's about it. With a smartwatch you can send texts to emails, make phone calls, etc. You are able to do things on a smartwatch that you typically can do with a phone. Yes even browsing, but I would not recommend it :).

But I have to agree that Garmin is probably much better tool to use for a referee than a smartwatch. Unless you can buy a smartwatch for around $60 like I did. :D

cmonref repped this.
  9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Here's another screenshot, this one from a terrific local-rivalry varsity girls game tonight. They agreed ahead of time to play to winner even though they're in different brackets, and visitors tied it up at 3-3 with 20 seconds left in regulation. Home made it 4-3 with a minute left in OT, so we didn't have to go to kicks. The GPS read 5 miles exactly, but that didn't include the 10-minute OT because I forgot to set it. I'm beat - glad it was only the one game!

upload_2017-3-27_21-55-40.jpeg
    (I think the alignment with Google Maps is off to the left just a bit; I'm pretty sure I got just as deep at both ends, more or less.)

tomek75 and IASocFan repped this.
  10. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    I noticed that with mine to. Is that a north south or an east to west field?

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The photo is oriented due north, so the field is east-west with a slight tilt. I think the registration is off kind of to the southwest or WSW, maybe about five yards or so, not as much as ten. I noticed something similar on another one, but in that first screenshot I posted upthread the registration seems to be pretty darn near perfect.

12. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    IMG_20170328_103602_01.jpg North to South field, benches are across the field from each other. Noticed this on multiple games.

13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Wonder if it's a Garmin thing or a Google Maps thing? I'm inclined to suspect the former, but who knows...

14. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have my first JV and V match this Thursday and am looking forward to using it. I hope I can figure out the map thing. I don't see where that is, but I assume once I start the app it will begin tracking and I can then see it after I save the information?

15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I don't remember if the app defaults to GPS on or off. I'll check later when I'm in the same zip code as the watch. It's definitely a toggle in the settings, and you can also choose whether to keep GPS running during halftime or not. In any case, once it's set properly, the answer to this question: "...but I assume once I start the app it will begin tracking and I can then see it after I save the information?" is yes.

Also, the length-of-half setting is easy once you're used to it, but kind of counter-intuitive the first couple of times, so get that figured out before you get out on the field.

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #91 Bubba Atlanta, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Here are some instructions I typed up for another member:

To set number of periods and time:
    1. With app running, tap the menu button to bring up Setup.
    2. Tap on Time Setup.
    3. Tap on Number of Periods.
    4. Scroll right to Two. TAP ON TWO.
    5. Now scroll right to the time you want, e.g., 35:00. TAP ON 35:00.
    6. Hit Escape (the circled arrow button) to exit back to main screen. It should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Upper left tells you GPS is locked on. Upper center is the countup clock that keeps running even when you hit STOP. Upper right shows where you are in the game, i.e., 1st or 2nd period or halftime. Big timer in middle is countdown, which stops and starts with the right hardware button. (Left hardware button is always backlight on/off.) Lower left is GPS mileage since start. Lower middle is time of day. It switches to accumulated stoppage time after you start.

You don't have to go through all these steps every time. To switch to 40:00 between your JV and varsity games, for example, you can skip steps 3 and 4. The main thing that buffaloed me for the first little while was remembering to TAP on your time selection after you've scrolled over to it.

EDIT: Just remembered the other member's watch was not a touch screen model, so the TAP of course was to no avail. Don't know if he figured that out; maybe he will chime in.

Note that another toggle lets you set the main (big) counter for countdown (HS) or up (club).

17. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Tapping on a button with no touch screen is basically just tapping the "Action" or "select" or more accurately, the "Little running guy" button. Back is back.

Your instructions are spot on, as is your description of "you figure it out after playing with it a bit."

I ran a bunch of test matches sitting at my desk.

The one thing I'd say for sure is to remember to tap your button after you start your half time, then again when ready to begin 2nd half, That bit took a few tries to figure out.

18. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Don't forget you can also do stoppage time by hitting the run man button as the timer is going.

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yes! That's done with the right hardware button if you have it.

20. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you still have it import the same file to strava and you will probably find the shape of the track will be the same but the exact location on the map will not. I don't know which overlay is more accurate.

21. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have used a Garmin for years and I turn it on and walk the perimeter of the field for my pregame in part to "mark" the boundaries for the mapping. Some fields are spot on, most are off to varying degrees, I haven't tried to figure out which way or by how much as it seems to change.

I do love using it and look forward to trying this app!

voiceoflg repped this.
  22. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmmm I wonder how to make that work with the reff app. I assume it doesn't start tracking your movements until you start the timer. So how to walk the perimeter with the clock started. Unless you just start it for a second maybe and then pause it? but then your added time would be way off. I have my first HSG V and JV games tonight, so I will see how it goes.

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Just walk it using the "Walk" function before you start, maybe during your field inspection, and save it separately from your actual game info. That will show you registration accuracy at least.

24. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    @Bubba Atlanta I think I'm missing something obvious: how do I get the "run" to where I can view it on a map? (I finally get to use mine this weekend . . . )

25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Just let it sync to the Garmin Connect app on your phone. Then it will show up under Activities.