Fitbit as secondary watch?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Schlager, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Oh, I would never use it for score unless I was spectating or something dumb like that, maybe playing parents vs kids. I'm all about that paper.

I contacted the guy who wrote the one I use and asked about his change to pro version. I'll let you know what he says.

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I've now played (sitting at my desk) with the "Pro" (paid) version of this app a little bit and so far I'm thinking it might be really good. I especially like that it keeps vibrating (at adjustable intervals) while you have the clock stopped. I'm going to try it next few games as my primary watch with the Casio as backup.

What is "Spectator Mode?"

3. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    It vibrates at random intervals, prompting you with bon mots to yell at the referee.

(I think it's just no GPS/step tracking.)

I'm also going to be trying it out with Casio on wrist #2. Looking forward to shared reports.

4. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Yes, spectator mode turns off gps.

It was surprisingly awesome, hard to find something that absolutely nails what you need

5. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sounds awesome. Makes me want to get a Garmin again, especially with my Spintso causing problems ever since I changed the battery.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    OK after two club matches with the app my first impression is that it's brilliant. The best part is when you have an injury (or chat-with-the-coach) stoppage you just hit the button and it stops the countdown but keeps the countup running, while vibrating periodically to remind you you've stopped it. In the meantime it's keeping a separate cumulative countup of your stoppages. I had a couple, and as I approached full time I was able to glance at it and see that it was two minutes and change, so I added three minutes (in a 1-0 match). This is a lot better than my usual Fingerspitzengefühl for adding time. So far--recommended. (Oh and it successfuly saved the GPS record of my meanderings around the pitch.)

IASocFan repped this.
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Screenshot from my phone:

upload_2017-3-11_18-15-47.jpeg

jayhonk, Vinnydabody, roby and 2 others repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    It also gives you this nice little summary at the end, but if it saves it somewhere I haven't figured out where. (Let's not start a discussion of what the might be reflected at the bottom of the screen. And the reason it appears I added eight minutes instead of three is that I forgot to hit stop until I got to the parking lot.)

upload_2017-3-11_18-26-20.jpeg

The author is German. I'll try to remember to drop him a note about the typo in "length."

9. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    @Bubba Atlanta this was with your new Garmin, yes? To get that map displayed on your phone - does the watch send the data directly to the phone?

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yes that's my new $100 refurb Garmin. It communicates directly with the Garmin Connect app on the phone by bluetooth. Very nice.

11. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Looks like you really trust your ars

voiceoflg and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    It saves it under "Last Match Data," accessible via the watch menu. I don't see any way to transmit it or pull up anything other than the last match.

13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I noticed your route to the parking lot....was that at a leisurely pace or were you still running? :p

voiceoflg and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Some might say in my case that's pretty much the same thing. :barefoot:

roby and IASocFan repped this.
  15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  16. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I used it without the GPS for three matches I reffed and one I coached back to back to back to back and WITHOUT GPS, it only used about 5% of my battery life. Since I run with it using GPS it does a really good job of estimating mileage based on steps, about 11 miles yesterday.

Good stuff. Maybe the best app I've used for anything.

Those refurb Garmins are a good deal. A couple of friends have bought them. I guess people get them online and decide they don't like them and send them back.

17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    #67 threeputzzz, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    The Garmin forerunner 10 is currently on clearance at Best Buy online for $40 band new. I picked one up and will post again in a couple months after I get to use it as a second watch in a game. It's basic with no HR monitoring and no ability to download apps (I figure my Spintso already does what the app does), and battery life not as good as other models but should be enough to get through at least 2 games.

IASocFan repped this.
  18. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I've now used the app for three games on my 235 and am very happy with it so far: it's performed exactly as I'd hoped, enough that I'm starting to look at it instead of my Casio during the game. My only nit is that I wish it recorded the activities as "Other" rather than "Running," but others might have a different opinion on that. I keep the GPS on, because I just charge the watch in my car anyway, and the impact is like any other run/workout.

19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I like that it calls what I do "Running." :barefoot:

20. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Bubba Atlanta You almost have me sold here. It looks like the watch you have does not have a heart rate monitor, is that correct? The other Garmins, (the 230 and such) have the heart rate along with the ability to download this app as well? looks like my SO might be getting a fit bit for a present... ;)

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The vivoactive that BA referred to (and I also bought) does not have an HR. There is also a vivoactive HR, which I believe is the same watch with a built in wrist hear monitor.

(I haven't used it for a game yet, but I have played with the ref ap and like it, and I like the watch itself, which I started using as my everyday watch. I'll miss my deceased RFT, but I think this is going to help me get past my grief.)

22. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    The Garmin 230 has no HR the 235 does, BUT, the 230 CA link with a chest-mounted HR strap. The 235 measures from your wrist. The vivoactive can link with a strap as well, I believe.

I always scoffed at smart watches until I got my 230.

23. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Technically not a smartwatch, and we should be glad for that. All the smart watches out right now, have terrible battery life when using GPS.

24. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I dunno, it's pretty smart.

It's a GPS watch with smart watch functions. Shall we say it does smart watch things better than a smart watch does gps things?

25. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Mostly about marketing.