Fists of Fury II: The new (and improved?) Martial Arts Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Caddman, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was looking for the previous martial arts movie thread, but had no luck. Which is too bad because there were some excellent suggestions in there. I'll start with a couple of recommendations.

[​IMG]

This one didn't disappoint. I'm a Donnie Yen fan, but this movie has quite a cast including appearances from MMA fighter Cung Le and former NBA player Menke Bateer.

[​IMG]

I finally got around to watching this one. I was impressed and recommend it if you're a fan of the genre. It reminded me a bit of Ong-Bak. It should be interesting to see Iko Uwais in future movies.

Also, can someone recommend a good place to buy movies? I'm in the US and Wal-Mart occasionally has a few titles. Dragon Dynasty's website has the option to buy a few through f.y.e. but I have not tried this. I'm mainly interested in a place with a good selection that will ship in the states.

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see that one either. But there was a more recent thread with several pages. I thought it got lost during the BigSoccer software switch over.

4. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Has anyone seen 13 Assassins? Can you give any thoughts? Opinions?

[​IMG]

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw it and liked it, but didn't love it. I know others really thought it was one of the best in this genre for quite some time.

The action is pretty good -- and the final battle is just bonkers, and I mean that in the best way possible. Worth the price of admission.

The one main criticism I had concerned some pretty horribly sadistic stuff in the first part, as it establishes the bad guy. I guess I'm just a bit squeamish when it comes to torture, but I thought it was unnecessary.

That's all pretty early on, though. Then it gets down to basics -- putting the team together and going on the quest/vengeance trail. The violence is pretty violent and not overly stylized (if I recall -- it's been a while). All done very well. I'd easily recommend it.

profiled repped this.
  6. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1686784/

Not really my cup of tea. I was tired when I watched it. But there was a lot going on plot wise which made it difficult to keep up with. And the action scenes seemed over the top even for a Kung fu movie. An attemp to utilize the 3D I guess Seemed to run a bit long too.

7. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This was not bad, though maybe more for the visuals than action sequences.

[​IMG]

This was interesting. Kind of cross between a CSI episode and Kung-Fu movie.

8. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Features Iko Uwais, star of Merantau. This is very similar to the Dredd movie, but featuring some kick ass martial arts sequences. Also extremely violent.

Has anyone seen this movie?

[​IMG]

Cung Le has been good in a couple of films I've seen. Movie received mixed reviews though.

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You have to type out names of movies. A large number of movie poster sites don't allow hot linking, so while you see a poster above, the rest of us just see a broken link and have no idea what you are talking about.

11. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oops, I've screwed the whole thread then. Let's see.

Post #1 - BodyGuards & Assassins then Merantau

#7 - Wu Dang then Dragon

#9 - The Raid: Redemption then The Man with the Iron Fists

12. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    birth of dragon.jpg

I really liked the movie, I bought the Blu-ray when it came out.

The movie took a lot of heat for not being the most historically accurate, which later prompted Shannon Lee to come out and say they would be making a Bruce Lee film in the future that is more historically accurate, but it was still entertaining in my opinion.

13. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    A new Cinemax original series coming out based on a story or some writings Bruce Lee had done.