Fisher out protests

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by USA Saint, Mar 31, 2019.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying it's 100% illegal as there's the First Amendment and all that, but bringing a big crowd of people to cause a ruckus in a wealthy residential neighborhood is going to carry some risks.

Outside of that, I think it's bad form to go to somebody's residence to protest that your sports team isn't good enough.

DotMPP, MtnGardener and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    agreed, it would be better exposure to start a new thread on this, and do the flyers...

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    It probably is bad form, but so is ripping off the soccer loving public here in San Jose.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You must observe reasonable regulations on time, place, and manner when you exercise your rights to demonstrate and protest."

5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    hmmm, “reasonable” seems so wide open to interpretation.

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why the ACLU page tells you "Every municipality has regulations and it's your responsibility to understand them."

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes05 repped this.
  9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @USA Saint, 2 questions for tomorrow's protest
    • I assume we do not have to have tickets for 117 and that we can just walk over there from our normal seats?
    • What time period will we congregate at Coleman & Earthquakes Way? 6:30 until KO?

10. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
  11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, know your SNL.

12. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No tickets in 117 are needed. We're just gonna meet in the section shortly before kickoff. I will be there at around 6:45.

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    dpg Fisher Out.jpg

Photo courtesy Nap Badillo.

DotMPP, markmcf8, Quakes05 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Any particular place? Section is fairy barren at the moment.

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, There are 2 of us at the bottom of 117. It’s almost7:00 pm. Waiting for others to show

16. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    n the midst of the rightful celebrations after a great game, a moment for me to clarify and apologize.

I really tried, but my communication was evidently sub par. I apologize if I let down the fan base who expected more.

So many things went wrong that it threw the whole thing off. Starting with the wind that made keeping the table of scarves under control a real task. Not enough people showed to get their scarves. Our banners didn’t make it threw security.

We managed to make it to the section on time, only to find that the section was much more full than anticipated and that the block of seats at the top we planned to occupy was taken. We should have gone in the corner, where there was a block available.

I’m guessing this made it impossible for those that told me they’d show to find us... the fact that we didn’t have banners and were surrounded by lots of other fans. In the end, we only had a group of around 10.

The walkout seemed pointless given the size. We went outside the FO nonetheless and at least got our message across.

Eli

DotMPP, markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nothing to apologize for. You're to be applauded for your leadership. The effort isn't going to succeed or fail in a single game.

DotMPP, markmcf8, Quakes05 and 1 other person repped this.
  18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize that I didn’t meet you guys outside the FO after the game. I saw that you had moved to the Ultras’ area and that you did not exit at the 74th minute, so I decided to just watch the game until the end.

But I thought it was terrific that you moved down to the Ultras area. It will take more showings like that, where photographers and the TV cameras can see you.

The more we make ourselves visible, the more the message sinks into the minds of the media and the FO. Even if the Quakes win a few more home games, we can always say, think what the Quakes would do if they had new team owners who are willing to spend money to restore the team to traditions of winning.

19. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Boysinblue and mjlee22 repped this.
  20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    My scarf is in the second round and I think that means I pick it up at the next game against Cincinnati. If I was supposed to pick it up yesterday then I'm one of those who didn't show. Sorry if that's the case.

Will you be organizing again next game?

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm a round 2 scarf (I think?) and still up for whatever happens next.

23. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Saw the scarfs on TV for a second after one of the goals! I paused it and saw about 15 people with scarves. Good stuff! Wish I could have made it yesterday.

Random tidbit I just encountered. I subscribe to the print version of Sports Illustrated and in an article about NFL draft prospect/ top MLB draft pick by the Oakland A's, Kyler Murray, John Fisher is briefly mentioned as having attended an in person meeting at Kyler Murray's parents house in Dallas with Billy Beane to try to negotiate/convince him to sign with the A's and forego the NFL. Now granted, Murray is a very unique situation -- but at the end of the day, baseball draft picks are still very likely to never even make it to the majors. Clearly Fisher cares enough about the performance of the A's to attend this meeting in person with a guy who may never even pan out if he stuck with baseball. It boggles the mind that an owner would care enough to do something like that, but is unwilling to spend a small fraction of his net worth to bring the A's payroll towards the middle of the MLB pack.

markmcf8 repped this.