Fisher out protests

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by USA Saint, Mar 31, 2019.

1. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hello all,

My friends and I were the ones who brought the Fisher protest banner to Avaya yesterday. We received tremendous support in person and online from Quakes fans. I can see that public opinion is finally shifting towards unrelenting outrage against Fisher, among others, and I think what we should do is harness that anger in order to do something meaningful and create change. That is, we need to create a protest movement demanding Fisher either commits to investing more in Quakes or sells immediately. We need to flood Avaya with banners, signs and hostile chants, but in an organized manner. The location of the physical FO is ideal for demonstrating in front of.

But I need help in doing this obviously. If anyone would be interested in helping organize, recruit, fundraise or brainstorm for these protests, please let me know (reply to this thread or message me.) If those on Instagram could follow @fisher_out, it would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

ant0n, Beerking, markmcf8 and 5 others repped this.
  2. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA Saint, thanks for bringing the banner to the stadium yesterday and staging a protest in front of the office.

Just want to add a couple of thoughts/opinions (and it's fine if people disagree).
    • In terms of the protest, would it be more effective inside the stadium vs. in front of the FO building? The reason I say this is because cameras and press are inside the stadium and that may not be the case in front of the FO.
      • The challenge inside the stadium is that people maybe scattered, so we'll have to figure out a gathering place (maybe the terrace?)
    • For the banner, was that home made? Do you have a design you can share so that people can put on t-shirts, other banners, etc?

3. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think both locations have their pros, so we should go with them both. If we get this going, it’s definitely going to be organized, so that’s not much of a concern.

The banner was hand painted at home, yes. But I’d be open to designing shirts, etc for everyone to use. I know there’s someone on the Quakes discussion group on Facebook that’s mocked up a Fisher protest shirt and I’m trying to reach out to him to get involved.

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 mjlee22, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    How about selling #FisherOut scarves?

.Or maybe #SaveTheQuakes scarves?

Let me know how I can help you guys

ant0n, markmcf8 and Quakes05 repped this.
  5. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scarves are a bit ambitious for now. We'd need to fundraise for that.

What we can use is basically people telling their friends, staying in contact with us as the organizers, and making signs and banners.

mjlee22 repped this.
  6. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not sure how much time -- if any -- I can offer to this endeavor, but I support it. I'd throw good money at a gofundme if there was a clear explanation for how the funds would be used.

My personal opinion is that we need Fioranelli out too. It's also a far more realistic ask. The reality, as Jed York of the 49ers once said, is that: "you can't fire owners". I think a competent GM that plays our cheaper domestic talent and uses those savings on one or two DPs making 3-4 million (instead of our barely a DP, DPs) we would at least be in the thick of a playoff-spot hunt -- even on Fisher's bottom-quarter of the league allowance.

All of that said, any sort of protest has my support, because maybe a Fisher Out campaign will embarrass him into cleaning house -- starting with Fox and Fioranelli, who are cancers at this point.

7. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder how much it would cost to hire spam bots to fill the Quakes Social Media Channels with FishOut propaganda? I hate our social media team -- everything they do is so cringey. Might also make sense to hire spam bots to flood mlssoccer.com with fisher out comments on any and every article. That would certainly create a league wide story eventually!

Another idea: pay for followers of the fisher_out instagram handle to make it look more legit and hopefully gain critical mass to where it can't be ignored.

It worked for the Russians. I say we take a page out of their book. At the very least, maybe this would make casual Quakes fans more aware of why we suck and who actually owns the team. It wouldn't shock me if more than half of the crowd on any given night did not knww the owners name. We are in a bubble of fanatics on this website.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing a protest is fine. Doing a fake protest, not so much.

Beerking repped this.
  9. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not worse than scamming the soccer loving people of San Jose like Fisher does.

10. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Make it as viral as #savethecrew was.

Getting rid of the freeloading owners like Fisher, Kroenke and Kraft should be every MLS fans next ownership change target since the Crew have in fact been saved

11. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just curious, are there any multi billionaire sports franchise owners who sold because the fans staged protests? If yes, what kind of numbers did the fans have and what form of protest did they choose?

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its obvious that he wants to use the franchise for some other type or unrelated money making entity.

13. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oyston of Blackpool and Becchetti of Leyton Orient were forced to sell after massive fan protests.

For Blackpool, I know they made banners, shut down games by throwing tennis balls onto the field and invading the pitch, marched threw the city and protested outside Oyston's house.

14. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Our best tool is embarrassment via making this a known movement to the greater MLS community. Forcing a writer at mlssoccer.com to acknowledge it would be significant.

If it "only" gets him to fire Fox and Fioranelli sooner than he might have, I'm all for it.

Sactown Soccer, markmcf8 and Boysinblue repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The problem with this team is neoither Fox or Fioranelli. It’s all about Fisher not knowing what to do.

I can't believe in retrospect, that we were better off with Doyle, Yallop , Watson and Kinnear!

They must all be laughing their heads off now!

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highly unlikely there is another billionaire waiting in the wings wanting to buy this team. Fisher doesn't need to sell, he just needs to run this team like he gives a damn. Any protest should focus on a fanbase reaching the breaking point after more than a decade of mediocrity and incompetence.

DotMPP, Beerking, Sactown Soccer and 3 others repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what that could be? You think maybe it has something to do with real estate development?:rolleyes:

18. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    https://www.wildemasche.com/shared/Football-scarf.html?design=1554131970_8f4614566a

We're making some progress with the Fisher Out protests, and I just designed a custom scarf that I think many would be interested in.

I recognize that the copyrighted Quakes badge could cause some problems. Does anyone know if the old badge is copyrighted still? If anyone has experience using photoshop to do more interesting scarf designs, please let me know. Also, general feed back would be appreciated.

If you would like to get involved, reply or message me.

*As someone pointed out on Reddit, the font would look better as white on top of black and blue. For some reason the designer I'm using won't allow that, but I'm working on figuring it out.

Sactown Soccer and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #19 falvo, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019

Not only the real estate. He will also get other kickbacks, bribes, borderline legal or illegal favors , write offs , advantages with the city council and other perks no one seems to know or talk about.

In 10 years’ time, the whole area will be worth billions of dollars. Directly or indirectly, using the team , stadium and business park to showcase his other entities and businesses , Fisher and his family could very well be 50 times more wealthy than they are now. Having his name associated with that area, will be a very powerful tool to advance his agenda for him ,.his family or corporation. Whatever that is or will be. He probably won't be able to do any of it though if he doesn't own the team or stadium.

It's all about Quid pro quo!

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I do not believe "Fisher Out" is a realistic goal. Rather, I agree with those who would have the have the message of any protests or demonstrations to be "we fans have had enough of absentee, disinterested ownership and terrible results". It matters little whether Fisher or another money man is signing the checks. What matters is that whomever it is decides it is in his/her interest to find the history and trajectory of EQ2.0 unacceptable and determines to do whatever it takes to fix it.

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any official logo, past or present, would be problematic. That scarf would be fine without a logo, except it's not readable in those colors.

22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Fisher doesn't need to get out, he needs to put out.

23. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe Fisher out should be in Red? I'm no design expert, but I think it would be easier to read (and is one our colors from the past, at least). I'd certainly buy one. If we could get a ton of people to hold these up all game in an area where they are on TV most of the time, that would be great!

24. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    They owner is not going to sell the team.

If winning the wooden spoon and losing 5-0 is not enough to make changes then go after the money.

I like to go to the game and have paid but as of now I personally will not spend a dime inside of the stadium for my family. I encourage others to follow

Beerking and Quakes05 repped this.
  25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that you are correct here. The chance of Fisher selling is very close to zero.

However, demanding Fisher sell is an unequivocal statement that we have lost faith in the entire organization. It might make Fisher do something to try to rescue the team, and I mean this season. I don't want to hear that we will be better next season. That's bullshit. Get better right now.

I found this discussion matches my own observations very closely.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...going-san-jose-matchday-central?autoplay=true

That's a cold-eyed assessment of just how terrible we are, and what needs to be done about it.

Go Quakesfans!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

Beerking, Ultan and Beckham7 repped this.