First the defender...then the attacker

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I was watching Everton in the UEFA Cup yesterday, and the winning goal came off a penalty that I thought was obvious until I watched the replay about 6 times....It is not postable from you tube yet, but I assume someone will find it.

Anyway, Anichbe, the attacker for Everton is powering into the area, and is being manhandled by the defender who is grabbing his shoulder, his shirt, his arms....and slightly a beat later Anichbe has a handful of the defenders shirt and they both end up on the ground. Anichbe, to my slow motion six times viewing, has actually caused the players to fall. The CR does not call for the penalty until both have tumbled to the ground.

I assume the CR did not see the shirt pulling because it was to the outside of his field of vision. But IF (huge IF)you had seen both actions...the defender holding and the attacker shirt pulling what would you call? One did occur before the other, but would you have to think (and quickly) did the defenders action rise to the level of the penalty BEFORE they tumbled to the ground, and does the holding by the attacker negate the penalty. Remember this is happening in less than 2 seconds.

Rog

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here it is: http://profile.imeem.com/Ku_Nm5P/video/Yw12v8cN/nurnberg_ger_everton_eng_01_uefa_cup_sports_video/

My initial reaction is that the Nurenberg player fouled first, outside the area, and that it continued into the penalty area. I think the penalty and the caution are correct. The Everton complicates matters by grabbing onto the jersey, but he does that after he is initially held.

Also, I don't care that the attacker's shirt pull is what eventually caused them to fall to ground (if it did). The Nurenberg player basically bear-hugged the attacker while he was getting beat and held him back. That's where the penalty is--not when they eventually fell.

3. Sandcrab Margarita

Apr 22, 2007
    Arizona
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly the defender's hold started outside the PA, ended in the PA, & was prior to the attacker's reaction. AFAIK, there's no idea of "negating" a foul (& therefore a penalty) unless the ref signals for Advantage, which he did not, for obvious reasons.

Best,
    Sandcrab

4. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I don't know about Germany but in the U.S. that's felony assault. I think we have to look at the spirit as much as the law. Yes, the physical action that caused the players to fall was the shirt-pulling by the Everton player, but let's be real - The Nurnberg defender made like he wanted to skip the engagement and the wedding and go straight to the hotel room...

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

But that's exactly what happened. Hold outside of area, but attacker is maintaining control. (advantage) The hold continues into the area and it is at that point that he can no longer maintain control and is taken down. Advantage no longer be played = PK.

6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    yeah, but doesnt the attacker take them both down with his shirt pulling...??? so, if the referee was not going to award the penalty early doesnt the attacker negate it with his shirt pulling? Or no?

7. Luto's Friend

Luto's Friend New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    "penalty that I thought was obvious until I watched the replay about 6 times"...

Enough said.....

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    No, the attacker was going down and trying to keep his feet with the grab.

And no, this is not the NFL - there are no "off-setting penalties."

9. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    That's gotta be a PK. Just because the attacker did the noble thing and stayed on his feet and kept playing instead of falling down...we can't use that as an excuse NOT to call the PK. Not calling a PK here would be going against what is right for the game. That play by the defender was a mugging!

He was lucky not to be sent off for DOGSO. There isn't a good wide-angle view of the field during the time the attacker was being held, but it looked to me like he was in on goal and nobody except the GK was in a position to intervene.