First Division Playoff Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by pething101, May 14, 2004.

1. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ipswich hits the post in injury time... and I about have a heart attack.

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And its all over. West Ham v Crystal Palace for a spot in the Premiership.

3. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Note that because of the Euro 2004 call-up period, the First Division final will be played on Saturday, as opposed to Monday, as it usually is. The Football League switched the First and Third Division finals to allow international players to be released as quickly as possible for Euro 2004 prep.

4. herecomesthesun

May 19, 2004
    Toronto East
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Playoff games sure do create some excitment ... how about having "relegation playoffs" to determine who gets sent down from the Premier League? Or is that a dumb idea? :D

#15 v #20
    #16 v #19
    #17 v #18

Losers are sent down to Div 1.

This year it would have been:

Blackburn v Wolves
    Man City v Leeds United
    Everton v Leicester City

5. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    I's a good idea, but 6 teams is too many. If you are going to go that route, do it like they do it in Sweden. 1st and 2nd place in the First Division there automatically go up to the Premier Division. 13th and 14th in the Premier Division are automatically relegated. 3rd place in the First Division then plays off against 12th place in the Premier Division for the final spot. In Sweden, it's a home-and-home series, but if you wanted to make it a one-off match, that's fine.

If you want to keep the drama of the playoffs, go ahead. So, this year, it would have meant:

-Wolves and Leeds automatically relegated
    -Norwich and West Brom automatically promoted
    -Leicester plays off against the West Ham-Crystal Palace winner for the last Premiership spot.

6. herecomesthesun

May 19, 2004
    Toronto East
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah I suppose 6 clubs in the playoffs is a bit much. The Swedish League format sounds good to me! :cool: