First camp of 2019 U-20 cycle (Jan. 2018)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 24, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So 36 names and only five from the '00 year? The 00's who made this roster are Lindsay, Sands, Durkin, Goslin and Carleton. Not exactly a surprise any of these guys are on the U-20's, all five are deserving of playing with the U-20's instead of U-19's. Is Sargent playing with the NT? Where is Weah?

Given the amount of players called up, this is obviously an evaluation camp. Not all the 99's called up will play a big role this cycle, I would assume most probably will not. There were also no 01's added to this camp. de la Fuente isn't on any of these rosters, Booth, Araujo and Akanyirige are on the U-18 NT. Its very possible though that some clubs in Europe refused call ups of their players.

Besides Weah and Sargent, the 00's who I'm a little surprised aren't on this roster are Garces and Gloster, but maybe they get integrated later.

Its interesting that Manny Perez is listed as a defender. What's going on there? Did they accidentally list him in the wrong section? Carranza's listed as unattached. Where is Sam Rogers? I would've thought that he'd be one of the top options at CB for this team, and he's a '99.

Best lineup IMO:

Scott
    Lindsey-Sands-McKenzie-Uribe
    Durkin-Goslin
    Carleton
    Pomykal-Perez-Amon

TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Excited Perry and Amon are being integrated. The forwards and midfield look stacked at this level, without Weah, Sargent and a few others.

EDIT: Also, I'm really concerned that we can't get Efrain Alvarez integrated into our youth system...the kid looks like the real deal.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. When you start integrating the U20s that aren't at this camp................things start looking pretty exciting.

Two midfielders in particular that could be the starters with this group: Tyler Adams and Jonathan Gonzalez. Adams should be with the full USMNT for their January camp.

Sargent may be settling in/moving to Germany during this camp. I won't assume he'll be with the USMNT yet. He could be. Of the Germany-based kids not at this camp, Nick Taitague stands out.

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I hope Jona gets into a full USMNT camp asap like rocky. The dude is our best U-20 player outside of Pulisic..and honestly, at this time, that is saying something.

RayRay616, Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    I assume Nick would be with U20s if he wasn't injured, which I believe he still is. if not, maybe it's because he'll be with Schalke's first team over Winter Break which, in my mind, takes precedence over the U20 national team.

6. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yep, still recovering from injury. Dude is a baller, the injury came at a bad time, as he would probably be with the first team over winter break.

7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe he's still recovering from an injury and most likely wasn't released by Schalke.

8. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
    Konrad de la Fuente?

Gacm32 repped this.
  9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in any of the summit camps, have to assume Barca didn't release.

Gacm32 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Xuxuh either. Seems to have completely fallen off the map. YNT staff not scouting him (don't rate him)? Don't know.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    USAProspects twitter feed went crazy posting youngsters that could/should have been included (from this person's opinion). Names that do stand out are Max Rugova and Ben Mines. Rugova apparently turned down homegrown overtures from SKC, and we've heard a lot about Mines.

Also...........a good shout by Brian Sciaretta:
    https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta/status/946829457024802816

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent told me he was reporting to Werder Bremen in January for its winter camp. He's not going to be with any U.S. team in January

13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confused by this, for example he lists Jacob Greene as a wish list, but he's called up to the U-16s?

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    :)

Winoman, Gacm32, TxEx and 1 other person repped this.
  15. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes... Taitague is injured

Gacm32 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any news on Max Rugova? Why isn't he on any rosters?

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #42 Clint Eastwood, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    By the way, could the future FC Dallas midfield be in this group :)?
    All of Servania, Cappis, and Pomykol included in the U20 squad..............

Damnation, throw in McKennie, Hyndman, Ulloa, and Acosta for the ultimate FCD midfield.

EricSunRa repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A number of the players playing at big European clubs are not at any of these camps, whether its de la Fuente, Dos Santos, Weah, etc. I'd assume its harder to get these big clubs to release players than it is to get MLS clubs to release players.

He was at a U-16 camp in June. He might've even been at a more recent camp that I'm not remembering, so I don't think its any of those things. Not every player is at every camp, but it could also be that his club situation is why he's not called up to this camp.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I presume this is the first team camp for Werder Bremen? I also saw somewhere that he was probably going to be at the NT camp, otherwise.

Do you know if these YNT's have games scheduled against real teams?

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The fact that it's the first camp of a two-year cycle also supports this assertion.

Sandon Mibut, EricSunRa and Gacm32 repped this.
  21. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Xuxuh is back in Holland, and even though they're on break, maybe that has something to do with him not being called in.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    On the U20 roster, eight are rising collegiate sophomores, five of whom are eligible for HG deals: Dorsey (IU), McKenzie, McMaster (both Wake and Philly Union), Muse (IU/Sounders), Perez (NC State), Rennicks (IU/NE Revs), Servania (Wake/Dallas), Vom Steeg (Stanford).

Here's hoping most of them sign HG or GA deals or go abroad.

Seven of the players are HS seniors who have verbally committed to NCAA programs to play college soccer in the fall.

Simon Becher – Holy Cross
    Christian Cappis (FC Dallas) – SMU
    Jack Maher – Indiana
    George Marks – Clemson
    Glademir Mendoza (RSL) – New Mexico
    Aedan Stanley – Duke
    Greg Tracey (Colorado) – Portland

We've seen plenty of verbal commit never matriculate because they got pro offers so perhaps one or more of these will follow suit.

Chris Nicola and Justin Veerhoven are not signed to pro deals but have no known college commitments.

Of the U19s, 12 have verbally committed to college programs for the fall. Ten of them are from MLS programs so homegrown deals may happen at some point in the next year or so.

Franuel Amaya - UCLA
    Charlie Ascensio (Atlanta) – Clemson
    Alex Budnik – Dartmouth
    Jean-Julien Foe Nuphaus (San Jose) - California
    Sam Fowler (Seattle) – Washington
    Matt Hundley (Colorado) - UCLA
    Isaiah Parente (Columbus) – Wake Forest
    Johan Penaranda (NYCFC) – Navy
    Jeremy Rafanello (Philadelphia) - Drexel
    Chris Richards (Dallas) – North Carolina
    AJ Seals (Orlando) – NC State
    Sebastian Soto (RSL) – California

Justin Garces, Chris Gloster, Zyen Jones, Aboubacar Keita, Rayshaun McKann and Akil Watts, all HS seniors, are not signed to pro deals but have no known college commitments. Presumably most of them are looking to go pro. All of them have current or past affiliation with MLS academies.

Brenden Aaronson, Blaine Ferri, Richard Ledezma and Josh Penn are all in the class of 2019.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For me, the biggest collegiate omission is Akron's Daniel Strachan, a 6-1 CB who had a strong freshman year and helped the Zips to the College Cup. He's a 99 and he's earned a look.

Curious that Sam Rogers is nowhere to be seen, especially given the dearth of CBs in this pool.

Also surprised Harold Hanson, who got a brief run with the Timbers after getting regular USL minutes, didn't get an invite.

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #49 Pl@ymaker, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Is Manny Perez really gonna be playing as a defender? I hope he doesn't get played out of position like Keaton Parks did.

25. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I hope not. I guess I could see him as a FB, maybe, after a lot of practice but it feels like a waste.

Carranza is listed as unattached as previously noted; even more interesting is that NCFC doesn't even acknowledge him as having any ties to the team, despite 9 appearances last year.: http://www.northcarolinafc.com/news_article/show/871683?referrer_id=3599784

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.