First AO Philly Viewing Party 2/24 US v El Salvador

Discussion in 'The River End' started by Onion41, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Brain Damage

Brain Damage New Member

May 14, 2009
    Temple University
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will you be there? I have some funny stuff to tell you.

2. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, Gabe too.

3. NJToon

NJToon New Member

May 11, 2009
    Bordentown, NJ
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really only takes a few minutes to walk to DH from either the 8th and Market or 10th and Locust stops. That's what I'll probably be doing.

4. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DH will validate your parking at the lot to the right on Lombard, it's like $4.

5. Ajuki FMMHVC

Ajuki FMMHVC New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Females walking 10+ blocks at night by themselves isn`t very safe.

6. angryhugo

angryhugo Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Philly Phorever
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well well well.... I may have to stop down, then. Hopefully I can get out of work at a reasonable time.

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Through Jefferson's campus, Wash West, and portions of Society Hill? Not quite on par with what I'd call the 'hood.

8. Ajuki FMMHVC

Ajuki FMMHVC New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    I`d rather not have my parents calling every 5 minutes to make sure I`m okay, thanks. If it were Pittsburgh were the whole city shuts down after dark it wouldn`t be such a big deal :rolleyes:

9. mechinations

mechinations New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Does anyone know if there's going to be a party for the Netherlands friendly? Not really a great time for everyone, but would be a lot of run to watch the USMNT go up against the Oranje with the AO.

10. alswi

alswi New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    love AO, glad someone started a local group, travelled to a ton of their tailgates within the past year including salt lake, columbus, DC. A couple problems with dark horse as an AO bar for national team games

1. space: for large viewing parties it's a problem because it gets cramped easy, the TVs are small and can be hard to see if you don't box out space and turn yourself into an a-hole
    2. lack of support: the last US qualifier i watched at Dark horse was the game played in Costa Rica, got one tiny TV in the corner of the bar, no sound. they didn't shell out the cash for the Honduras game a couple of months ago.

As a result, went to tir na nog on the parkway because they did shell out the cash for the honduras game, had a ton of room, a ton of people, a drop down projection TV with sound and I was like a pig in mud

3. When AO comes to town for national events, the Dark Horse is just too damn small for all the AO members that travel, they need real big venues and dark horse just doesn't have the size so it would be worthwhile to start up a relationship with a bar that's both willing to support us soccer no matter the cost and one that can handle the numbers involved with AO when the national team does come to town.

will be at tir na nog tomorrow around 6 if anyone is interested with bandana on

11. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and I am heading to Tir Na Nog as well! Way better soccer bar.

The fact that the Dark Horse wouldn't show the US-Honduras game was the last straw for me. Tir Na Nog has been great for US games.

Good job setting up the local AO Philadelphia chapter.

12. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One final reason why AO Philly should change from the Dark Horse to Tir Na Nog is the fact that Tir Na Nog and Fado are the only two bars in the city that ponied up the money to become official US Soccer Bars in the city. Dark Horse won't pay it.

http://www.ussoccer.com/Community/Official-Bar-Program.aspx#PA

Fado is too small though for AO events.

13. Onion41

Onion41 Member

Jun 13, 2007
    The Glass Factory
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all I appreciate your passion in wanting things to go well here in Philly for AO. Just wanted to give you a couple of thoughts in regards to what you said.

The first thing is we have a room to ourselves for most of our viewing parties at the DH. The rigger bar is booked tonight for AO Philly, with our own private bar, and our own flat screen TV with sound. Secondly the reason the Costa Rica away match was so poorly attended there was that it was the same night as the Union introduced coach Nowak to the supporters and held a viewing party with him. I would like to ask you to give it another shot to come out tonight and see what we are all about.

14. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It worth a hour drive north and dealing with traffic.

15. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    you're a big girl and can take care of yourself. they will learn it eventually.
    if youa re really so scared to not walk 10 blocks after dark then take a self defense class or something.

16. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    My attendance is confirmed. I'm heading into the city in a short while to get a new phone, and I have a meeting at 12th and Locust at 5:30. While I'm not terribly excited about the 12ish block walk, I will take pride in the fact that my AO bretheren will be there to scream for the Yanks.

Side Note, if there is any MLS CBA talk tonight, if it isn't great news about a barganing session that brings us closer to a deal, I don't want to hear about it! :(

17. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be careful on that walk, don't forget your rape whistle and mace.

18. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    what time is your meeting over, what route will you take to get to the bar, and are you aware of your surroundings?

why you gotta ruin my fun? :mad:

:p

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be walking through certain nayborhoods, so you never know, he might welcome the company.

20. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably wouldn't be much over the $2 minimum to take a cab. That's probably what I would do.

21. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

it's usually about $6 from market east. and it's totaly worth it.

22. Brain Damage

Brain Damage New Member

May 14, 2009
    Temple University
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or I don't know you could take the subway like I am. I'm gimping my ass from Broad to 2nd street - - getting back is going to be interesting though.

23. mrdivothead

mrdivothead Member

May 12, 2008
    Bensalem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me and gimpy Travis hiked it from the Convention Center to the Horse on draft day. I guess it may be a bit much for the college aged, since Magowan bailed halfway and hopped the PATCO home.

24. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there via Patco as well. Looking forward to meeting some heads.

25. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    he wasnt' focused on the beer.