Fire Warzycha, 2012 Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by NC Soccer United, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I want attacking soccer, dammit!

2. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not going to get it on opening day in Colorado at altitude.

3. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed

4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, that was quick.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought if we got Urso the hell away from Columbus (maybe trade him to Toronto for some injured guy) we would have tied 0-0. He was the origin of every bad play and every Colorado momentum. Who got the call to start him, I dunno. RW doesn't seem like he's that dumb, but maybe he is.

Viva the Fire RW thread!;)

7. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ursine is simply inexperienced at the professional level. Why do we get rid of 3 veteran starters and then wonder why we lack experience? RW is to blame for the dismantling of sigi's championship squad. I'm not saying those guys were getting old, but wouldn't it be nice to still have a Steven lenhart and an emanual ekpo? RW got squat for them and is now showing the fruits of his poor decision making.

8. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Speaking of Urso, that article on thecrew.com about a chip on his shoulder because he didn't get drafted in the SuperDraft. Comedic gold. No wonder all teams passed on him, except Cbus thinking they got a diamond in the rough.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You REALLY think we would have been better off with Mendoza jogging around the field at five MPH and Robbie making runs towards the corner flag?

I agree.

10. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same article lauded him for his vision and passing skills.....ha ha ha.
    Jokes on us.

11. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually took longer than I thought. I mean, the game ended around 8:00p, and the first post was 8:48.

I guess the real question is for the thread gods. Do they leave this open, and close the other one with 1,500+ posts, or merge them?

Bottom line for me is what we look like at the end of April We have 7 total games including 4 home games.
    We have to play at home:
    *Montreal
    *New York
    *Houston
    *Vancouver
    It's imperative to me that you come out with 9 points from those games.
    We have to play on the road:
    *Colorado
    *Toronto
    *Philadelphia
    We need to win one of the last two.

I guess, I'm saying the bar is at 12 points out of a possible 21 (18 now) through the first two months of the season if RW is to see the summer. And I think that is an EXTREMELY low bar.

I know that's not McCullers will see it, but if we don't secure 57% of our points in the first two months, I fear what could happen as the season winds on.

Fortunately for us, we have to start with Montreal in two weeks. In my mind, Philly is probably the next "easiest" game we have after MTL.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA-RSL result:

[result]3-1 to RSL. Fire Arena?[/result]

13. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Here's the difference: LA has a lot of attacking and actually try to score goals. Robert Warzycha probably would consider LA's approach too aggressive and flashy. Mike Urso> Landycakes.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That didn't help them much today, did it? So we're giving them a pass on "it's ok, because at least they have style" points?

That sounds like a youth-league excuse. "It's ok we didn't do so good, but at least we tried. Job well done because we tried".

15. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't read or see anything about the game, but I would have to think LA was looking forward to the CCL game this coming week.

That's enough for me to give a pass to the best American coach ever.

16. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm as pro-"Fire Warzycha" as you can get, but I have a hard time placing this one on him.

Sure, he started a horrible formation for this team, but he made the best moves he could after that. Sure, the team couldn't complete a pass, but the first team hasn't had any significant time together (and still hasn't). Sure, the team didn't seemed motivated, but they were playing away from home and at altitude.

Plus, you've also got to figure in the injuries to keys players, especially Duka going down early. It's tough to go on the road and throw out a lineup of rookies, new players, and all-around scrubs.

And, I thought I had a point, but I've lost it.

So...

FIRE WARZYCHA!

17. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forget to mention LA playing in toronto 72 hours ago, then having to fly across the country the next morning. LA also is coming off winning the double. Our situation is not even comparable.

18. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Altitude is one mile high in Denver. You guys make it sound like they are playing in La Paz, Bolivia or the top of Mt. Everest. Absolutely lame excuse. If that were the case, Colorado teams would be dominating baseball, football, basketball, hockey, and soccer. I hate pathetic excuses. That stuff is for losers. Coaching has everything to do with getting players as ready as possible for the games and they looked so listless out there, but we'll chalk that up to altitude and not enough time. Not enough time????? What? So you are telling me that Colorado had more time to practice, that RSL or Vancouver or SJ had more time to practice than Cbus? What is the next excuse?

20. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    That attacking and actually trying to score goals equals wins, trophies, and possibly CCL glory. They actually took risk in that game and put forth an attack to try to win. No one is going to say much because they weren't able to finish the shots. Not this passive aggressive counter attack when there is only one defender in the back: Crew Style Counter Attacking. LA is going to be fine because Bruce Arena knows how to put a product on the field without sacrificing wins. His DC United teams and LA Galaxy are attack oriented. Even his UVA teams could beat this Crew squad.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the USMNT play attacking soccer when they beat Portugal? Or Mexico? Or Spain? Or Italy?

Some teams are better suited to staying organized and taking their attacks when they're there. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

This line of discussion drives me insane -- people say "let's attack" like it's some magic elixir that will solve all problems. If it was that simple, every team in the world would be doing it.

I love that you're so hell-bent on tearing down your own club after ONE match that you're giving a pass to a team that lost by two goals AT HOME. There's no such thing as a pretty two-goal home loss.

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way...

Mod note: Let's try to keep the discussion on recently-played MLS games out of the Crew-specific threads from now on, or put the result tags on there. We have many people who watch other games on DVR's on the MLS package.

23. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Riddle me this: How are you going to win a game when you can't muster an attack? SMH

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Counterattacks? Set pieces? Good defense? Have you watched soccer before?

Besides... no team in the world is going to attack very much when they're turning the ball over and making lousy passes the way the Crew did last night. It's kind of hard blame the strategy when you can't hold onto the ball long enough to execute one.

25. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    That is my whole point!!!!!!!! A coach is supposed to work on this stuff. What part of coaching don't you understand?