Fire TBD! - New Coach Discussion

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Sep 13, 2018.

1. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Timbers didn't qualify for the playoffs at least twice during his 5 year tenure. He also failed to qualify a US team for the Olympics. There's been quite a few failures to go with his success.

Berks, napper, Skevin and 2 others repped this.
  2. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting you focus mostly on his weaker seasons and almost completely ignore the height of his wins. If that's your definition of wildly inconsistent, I'll take it.

3 playoffs and one MLS Cup every 5 years, on average? Who here wouldn't take that?

You are also ignoring that he did it in Portland. LA has built in advantages over Portland that should help a coach be more successful.

And as far as our NTs go, I don't think the coaches are the problem. The players are largely hopeless in the modern world of international soccer.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Given that the Galaxy are a blip on AEG's balance sheet, I very much doubt that the performance of the Galaxy is a significant criteria upon which Dan is evaluated on. IMO, Klein should be evaluated on this but as they said in the COG, some members of the FO seem protected. Perhaps because of the fact that they make money.

I did some additional research and found out that I was wrong. Without accounting for every nickel, it looks like the Galaxy probably made full use of all of their funds which totaled around $8.4 mm not including DP salaries over the cap..

skydog and barroldinho repped this.
  4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Conversely, you're hyper-focusing on his stronger seasons.

By your definition, narrowly missing the playoffs seems to be acceptable, yet we just sacked a coach who with 6 games to go, still had a slim chance of making the playoffs.

When we take stock of this season, "narrowly missing they playoffs" will be a reasonable take. So you're saying that Sigi was doing a fine job and shouldn't have been sacked? Doubtful.

Remember that around half the teams in MLS will make the playoffs this season. While LA may have "built-in advantages" compared to Portland (I'd argue that dealing with our FO negates them), they're hardly a small outfit where merely making the playoffs is a huge achievement.

I'd say that Porter has had two strong regular-season performances, a decent regular season and successful post season in 2015 and two poor seasons.

Now that's not to say the guy is bad. Parity measures mean that you will see swings in form but that goes for the good seasons as well as the bad.

I'm not saying he's not worthy of consideration. I think those of us with reservations... are just saying we have reservation.

But to answer your question, no, finishing in the bottom half of the table in two seasons out of five, is not the level that the Galaxy (and its "built in advantages") should be aspiring to.

Strongly disagree.

Whatever the issues with USMNT personnel, there is easily enough talent to finish in the top 4 of the Hex.

5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some soccer reporter on twitter (can't vouch for his credentials) tweeting that we are in the lead to land Caleb Porter. (Many think that Berhalter to USMNT might be a done deal)

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On last night's COG, Josh Guesman stated that San Jose have already interviewed Porter and reached out to GBS, along with Stanford's Jeremy Gunn.

At this point our FO is now tragically bad.

73Bruin repped this.
  7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why actually look for a good coach? That's hard. And besides Dom is already here....

WarGalaxy, shelbo and hav77 repped this.
  8. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just pointing out that out of a total of about the last 6 years, he's failed half the time. And yes, that's my definition of inconsistent. That concerns me. Was his MLS cup winning season a flash in the pan? Who knows. Yallop won an MLS Cup with small market San Jose and later came here and produced completely unacceptable results. And I still have nightmares about our Steve Sampson period where we brought him in to supposedly shake things up when we had a consistently mediocre team. In hindsight that destabilized us for years and Porter would be coming into a similar situation now as Yallop did in 2006.

I also think the resources available to the USMNT dwarf those of the programs of the overwhelming majority of the other nations in our region, as does the talent pool. Failure to qualify for any major tournament at any level should be viewed as an abject failure by the management which in 2011/2012 was Caleb Porter and his staff at the U-23 level.

I guess in my opinion the jury is still out on Porter. My thought though is that with his connection to Kline and with the past behavior of our FO being used as a predictor for the future, Porter is exactly what we're going to get. I hope he can be successful with us more than half the time.

hav77 and barroldinho repped this.
  9. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I'm not. Let me repeat: "3 playoffs and one MLS Cup every 5 years, on average? Who here wouldn't take that?" That covers the good and the bad. So would you take it or not?

No, I didn't say that anywhere. 2 botched seasons out of 2 is not as good as: 2 botched/2 decent and 1 smashing success out of 5.

Good, some balance finally!

There you go again, focusing on the bad.:)

That's not much to celebrate, and it certainly wasn't in evidence this past cycle.It's trending to be more difficult to finish in the top 4. And would be nice to qualify for the Olympics once in awhile. I guess at least the youth qualified for the last Youth WC, so perhaps there is hope for the future. But the 2010 decade was largely a washout except for a decent showing at the 2014 WC. Face it, the US players are further behind the rest of the world to where they were 20 years ago.

10. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're including this season where he didn't coach at all as a failed season, huh? Interesting.
    Given that he has only had one MLS coaching job, sure, the jury is still out. I'm also considering his winning attitude and approach to the game (from my limited knowledge of him), not just his record.

And I'm just not seeing these vast resources of talent in our player pool. Who, besides Pulisic has done anything resembling potential world class talent, let alone be a solid replacement for Dempsey, Donovan and Bradley?

11. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what? Which season where he didn't coach?

I am referencing the last 6 six coaching assignments he's had. The US U-23s during qualification for the 2012 Olympics and 5 seasons with Portland, each its own unique campaign. Of those 6, exactly half failed to achieve positive results.

And he couldn't manage to get out of a qualification group which included Canada, El Salvador and Cuba for goodness sakes. You don't consider the United States to have a significant advantage in talent pool and resources over those programs?

Let's just agree to disagree then.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  12. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not proposing him for the USMNT post. I guess if we're going outside of MLS experience, we could count his college record as well. But, I don't think we want to go there.

13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I can't predict how Porter will do if he comes here but I do know he is a driven, focused guy, maybe to a fault. If he comes here and fails it won't be due to a lack of effort. He was very successful at University of Akron - I don't know how much of that was recruiting and how much was coaching.

GalaxyOne and TrickHog repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oops, I just did.

MPNumber9 and GalaxyOne repped this.
  15. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he was. He also inherited a program that had won 3 of its last 4 conference titles prior to his coming aboard in 2006. He'll be inheriting a dumpster fire if he comes here. Completely different scenario.

I just wish there was a safe option out there with a proven track record of being able to right a sinking ship which we clearly are right now. There doesn't seem to be though.

I prefer the idea of Berhalter for some reason. But he's a mixed bag too and has even less experience than Porter.

barroldinho repped this.
  16. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Safe option was Sigi. Now it would be Arena or maybe Sampson. Or perhaps staying with Kinnear, which would probably be the best of that old school lot.

Berhalter, who knows? Probably as much of a wild card as Porter. I like that Porter has a LOT more coaching experience (including his college days) than Berhalter.

17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #67 skydog, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    True but they had never won a national championship until Porter came along. He took them to the final in 2009 and then won it in 2010. Over those two years the Zips were 45-1-4. In college soccer it's hard to go 50 games with only 1 loss - no matter how good your recruits are.
    Again I'm not saying he will be great for the Galaxy - he doesn't have enough pro resume to be sure. I'm just saying that the guy is competitive af, does his homework and prepares his teams.

barroldinho and GalaxyOne repped this.
  18. generaladmissision18

Jul 29, 2011
    Highland park, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the San Jose - lafc game, the Spanish commentators keep saying that Donovan is going to be an assistant coach for the Galaxy, was that ever confirmed?

19. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT right there is exactly what I want as the Galaxy's next coach!

20. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh gawd, I hope not. We don't need this foolishness. Hire a real coaching staff!!

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if Donovan would ever make a good head coach, but he'd probably be a great assistant coach. I wouldn't be mad at that.

Porter's not an awful choice, but he's far from an ideal choice. I think the observations about him are mostly correct; there is nothing he's done to-date to show that he could salvage the cluster that the Galaxy is right now.

22. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

I agree Sigi was not the only problem (and probably, not the first), but when I see this stat, I think he had something to do with our season. A team capable of getting results only against big clubs and not taking seriously weaker opponents may be because the coach can't make them commit 100%.

kaburu, WarGalaxy, 73Bruin and 1 other person repped this.
  23. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Adding to your comment (not disagreeing), it may also reflect orders to play certain players - specifically Gio, when they are healthy.

Of course having Skjelvik out of the lineup helps immensely. Cole can actually play wide.

24. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Word is that Becks is looking at Zidane for Sporting Real Inter Miami FC Soccer Club de Sportivo.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  25. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a Porter fan, but if that's what it takes to keep Klinsi from being the coach, I can live with it.

shelbo and Berks repped this.