Fire TBD! - New Coach Discussion

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Sep 13, 2018.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GBS asked about the quality players he'll have on offense. He mentions Ibra, Kamara and Alessandrini....

(one name missing, methinks)

Berks, luigi-55, barroldinho and 6 others repped this.
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Berks, TOAzer, luigi-55 and 6 others repped this.
  3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's saying the right things. Fingers crossed.

luigi-55, The Beautiful Gamer and skydog repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GBS ended his opening statement with some kinds words about Sigi and how important Sigi was to him in Columbus, not just in soccer, but in life. Very classy and nice to hear.

Berks, luigi-55, barroldinho and 9 others repped this.
  5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Te Kloese talks about how GBS and he both want to integrate younger players into the first team and a competitive environment where the best players start, regardless of age.

Maybe a subtle message to our hot academy prospects that haven't seem inclined to sign and are looking overseas....?

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the key things I remember hearing. Most of the rest were the usual platitudes and clichés.

The Beautiful Gamer and mbar repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Something happened between Klose turning down the Galaxy and Porter “turning down” the Galaxy. I don’t know what went down, but the outcome is Klose got what he wanted and Porter is not our coach. That in and of itself is growth. I think Klein’s mistakes were the flawed from the start hiring of Onalfo and promoting then subsequently not firing Vagenas soon enough. I’d be fine with Klein getting sacked for those reasons alone, but I’m also ok that he did recognize those as mistakes and tried to rectify them.

Sometimes the sum of the parts is not greater than the whole. Jose Mourinho was a massively successful manager. Manchester United has obscene amounts of money and spent hundreds of millions of pounds on world class players and yet have still failed miserably.

TOAzer, mbar and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember when a top 5 finish was a reasonable season for us.

I'm that old.

9. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Press Conference for those (like me) who missed it.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  10. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Hmmm. Turns down a one year deal to be head coach and now ends up an assistant.

luigi-55, mbar, LEM-LAG and 7 others repped this.
  11. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn’t surprise me if the money offered was around the same, but this position has more job security. It was clear that Dom would have been just a one year stop gap coach if they would have hired him as HC. Smart play from both sides.

12. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad we are able to retain him at the end of the day.

luigi-55, 73Bruin, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also happy to see Dom stay to help GBS and this team transition into MLS. (Wow, I never thought I'd be glad to see Dominic Kinnear around the Galaxy)

luigi-55, JPAR, FlapJack and 2 others repped this.
  14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what do YOU think will happen? Will the new leadership bring success or not?

15. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest thing I got out of the conference was that GBS is definitely not a media-friendly coach. At least to the English speaking media. Looked like he did not want to be there at all. Those were some of the shortest, most superficial answers I've ever seen. Except for maybe Bruce when he was in one of his moods.

Which I'm perfectly OK with if GBS wins.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  16. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wouldn't have been a stop gap if he'd won!! Also I wouldn't say there's that much job security in an assistant coach from the former regime. But it keeps him gainfully employed until the next good HC opportunity comes along. So from that perspective, a reasonable move on his part.

17. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I wish the Galaxy could fail as miserably as Man United too.

Now we're so used to losing, we are already building in excuses for why we won't make the playoffs again.

18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #343 skydog, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    The last two paragraphs of the Baxter article make me very, very happy. Hope GBS can follow through:

But the Galaxy also gave up 131 goals the last two years, a problem that became obvious to Schelotto as he binge-watched tapes of last season’s games.

“I know what we have to do and [at] what position we have to bring [in] some players,” said the coach, who leaves Friday for the six-day MLS combine in Orlando, followed by the league SuperDraft in Chicago. The Galaxy open preseason training camp in a little over two weeks.
    As much as I dislike Gio fixing the defense is still the most important job. And while tweaking tactics might help the D a little the only way it will be truly fixed is if we bring in better personnel. We could use upgrades all across our back line.

And if we want to actually be a top tier team again we need an upgrade at goalie as well. I like my goalies to command the box. Bingham's never been accused of that.

But first things first. A space eater center back would be the place to start.

19. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Per Baxter, Zlatan really liked Dom as a coach, so there may have been a reason to keep Dom around. In other words, whatever Zlatan wants, Zlatan gets.

20. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I think the Galaxy will have a better season than the previous two.

skydog and GalaxyOne repped this.
  21. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think keeping Dom around is a great idea. It gives GBS someone who knows the ins and outs of MLS on the coaching staff. I'm pretty sure Dom is fluent in Spanish, and after watching the press conference it's pretty clear GBS is not fluent in English so that will definitely help.

I think GBS isn't comfortable with English to explain and elaborate on his answers when's he's being asked questions. I'm sure the press conferences at the end of the season will be much different than the ones at the start of the season in terms of responsiveness.

My biggest takeaway from the press conference is that DTK is absolutely the right man for the job. He clearly knows what we need to improve and we need to improve them.

TOAzer, luigi-55, TrickHog and 5 others repped this.
  22. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Porter at Columbus is official. It will be interesting to see how both teams fare next season and in the few years to come. At the moment, LA and Columbus are of pretty similar quality based on last year's results. In fact, would have finished level on points at 51 and both just made the playoffs had LA not blown their last 45 minutes. So, solidly mid-level teams that can clearly go either up, down or nowhere.

In my book, results moving forward will be a direct reflection of the coaching and management selections by both teams, at this similar, pivotal moment in respective club history. It will be te Kloese and GBS vs Bezbatchenko and Porter. Doesn't get much more a clear cut competition than that.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...-porter-head-coach-tim-bezbatchenko-president

Geneva, luigi-55, The Cadaver and 4 others repped this.
  23. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty fair comment. And I don't know the ins and outs of the Columbus roster. But I don't think they have the equivalent of a Gio albatross around their necks. Also they have brand new owners who may feel they need to splash the cash to get credibility in a market that has been battered. I am not saying AEG is unwilling to,support us, but to the extent the previous mistakes tie our hands there are limits what LAG can do in the short run. As I say, I don't know if Crew have any similar problems.

hav77 and barroldinho repped this.
  24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who gives a shit about Porter? Unless it's us killing Columbus in MLS Cup, I could care less what they do. Managing Columbus ain't the same as managing LA. If Porter makes the playoffs every year he'll be considered a success for team that was on the brink of being relocated.

Every team in MLS is our competition. Right now, ATL are the team to beat both on and off the field.

25. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care about Porter, and will be interested to see how he does in Columbus. We could have hired him here, but picked GBS instead. Not scared of a little head to head competition, are you? :D