RIP Sigi Schmid

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Jul 27, 2017.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is MLS 4.0 or whatever, we seem very stuck in the 3.0 era with the Dom and Sigi hirings. I'd like a more sexy option, but I don't think we're that ambitious anymore. Still, after this season, I will settle for "competent" over sexy, which Sigi and Dom should definitely bring. But it distinctly feels like this version of MLS hit us like a ton of bricks when we used to be the trendsetters.

shelbo and Dr.Phil repped this.
  2. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    As far as I'm concerned, the hirings of Sigi and Dom are not the problem.
    Chris Klein and Pete Vagenas gave us their all wearing the G's shirt, but in their current positions, they have to go. We're at the bottom of the league and it's because of them. There must be consequences.

3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi has to be going to the front office right? Everything is talking about him building for 2018

4. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi and Dom both appear to be well past their sell by date. Current MLS game is passed them. If we're counting on them to be the brain trust that saves us from Chris and Pete, well I don't have much faith...

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sigi is very good at bringing younger players along. We are seeing that with BJIV.

kaburu, Geneva and Beakmon FC repped this.
  6. luigi-55

luigi-55 Member

LA Galaxy
    Netherlands
    May 7, 2010
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Every decision that has sent us down this road to a new level sadness has been orchestrated by that arogant idiot Klein and his little buddy Pass back Pete. They should be publicly shamed for what their vision of has cost this organization.. At the very least they should be removed ASAP !!! That being said, I think Sigi and Dom can build us a good MLS quality defensive foundation. Bring in a goalie like Bill Hamid, a good CB to help with Steres short comings, move Romney to LB, and play Diablo at RB until Van Anholt or replacement can be found. Then find us some "new" options up top. Our midfield is good when everyone comes back. Finding Gio and Gyasi a position and some desire to play for the badge is the hard part. This season was our worst and unexceptable for our team, players and for us fans. But all we can do is move forward. I feel very lucky to have watched this team win 6 trophies right here in Los Angeles. No one else in our league can even come close to that !!! Other fans will enjoy our stumble from the top. They all hate us cause they ain't us !! I know we will rebuild and be back soon. I will back our badge till I die. Stay strong Galaxy fans through the long winter, spring will come, and like the forces of mother earth, we will be reborn.
    This will be LA again !!
    GO GALAXY !!!
    2017-08-13-12-07-09--990069526.jpeg

Ghosting, JPAR, rokstedy and 2 others repped this.
  7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even with these final games, he gets 2018. Let's see what he can do. He's got to make Klein make better decisions though.

8. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Klein has to go. I will be pissed and very vocal of he is not. Let's face it, Chris Klein and Vagenas have ZERO qualifications for the jobs they are doing.

skydog, luigi-55 and Dr.Phil repped this.
  9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Part of me is concerned that we have shown basically zero improvement under Sigi, then the rational side of me also knows that our defense is so godawful and we still lack a real goal scorer. I think a lot of this season for Sigi has been him experimenting to see what can work for next season, so he gets a pass from me.

We should wait 10 matches into the next season to see where we stand.

Sigi has a huge rebuild on his hands though. With cole probably gone, we essentially need a whole new back 4, and a new striker.

barroldinho repped this.
  10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Past performance isn’t a predictor of future gains, but Sigi has done about as well as Bruce did when he took over LA for the last few games of the season.

One of the big criticisms of Bruce’s appointment was ‘the game had passed him by’

I don’t know what happens next season, but there’s not much of value that can be learned from Sigi’s tenure this season.

Ghosting, cleschke, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I called it. Sigi is GM, next he’ll announce that Kinnear will be head coach next year.

barroldinho repped this.
  12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barf

skydog repped this.
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  14. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you want about Dom, but I'll bet a Kinnear-coached Sanjose doesn't lose 5-0 in a playoff game.

Berks, rokstedy, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It WAS delicious, wasn't it? Another good reason for us to have hired Dom.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  16. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too soon to bump this thread? Whoops, I already did.

The Beautiful Gamer, skydog and 100fyers repped this.
  17. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got one toe in this pond.

The Beautiful Gamer and skydog repped this.
  18. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire him already. He can take his Kamara with him.

19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy just scored! and created the other goal!

20. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once the WC break is here, that's the perfect time to bring in a new coaching staff.

21. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long was Sigi's deal anyway?

22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Initial reports were that the contract Sigi signed was through the end of 2018. So, he's up at the end of this season unless they extended him or gave him a different deal when he took on Pete's duties.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder that Chris Klein got a 5 yr extension and Pete kept his job as Vice President.

This is following our worse season.

onefineesq and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh what the hell.

Let's just nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

*Disclaimer: Barroldinho in no way actually advocates launching weapons of any kind in the direction of the LA Galaxy Front Office. This post was merely a joke, using a quote from a once amazing pair of movies, whose underlying Franchise has been progressively more Vagenassed as time has gone on.

hav77, Baysider, Geneva and 3 others repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a decision has to be made before the end of the WC and the 2018 summer transfer window, which will see a lot of post-WC movement. Basically, you have to determine if Sigi deserves another window to try and address some issues or do you use that time to start fresh with a new coach? Can you get a better coach? Chances Klein and co. are even looking?

The problems with this roster composition are myriad and a lot of that is a problem Sigi inherited, exacerbated by the unexpected signing of Zlatan. Having said that, Sigi's signings -- particularly Skjelvik, Kitchen and Feltscher -- haven't been exactly what we needed them to be. Only Kamara can be argued to have panned out probably. Unfortunately I think this tactically handcuffs Sigi -- I don't think we're going to find a coach that is going to plug these guys into some esoteric formation and suddenly turn the team around.

Can we find someone that is a better motivator? I think Sigi's gotten good results from the team this season -- the Vancouver tie, the Chicago win and even the LAFC comeback were good results under tough conditions -- I don't see last year's squad pulling any of those off. But inability to keep a clean sheet early when everyone acknowledges that as the goal is troubling. Sigi needed to at least tie HOU to put a lid on the discussion of him getting fired. Dallas result will be telling.