RIP Sigi Schmid

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Jul 27, 2017.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short version -- we need 9 guys to play with Alessandrini and Boateng......

:)

shelbo and barroldinho repped this.
  2. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can we restart as an expansion team?

3. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    btw. i read multiple posters start the season saying that this team was playing the best they had seen them play with the ball. Very close, very unlucky early with the results however, some on here hunt like a pack of wolves, they kill for the sake of killing.

4. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

5. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Ashley could get forward more if there was consistancy covering his back. How many times was the backline left exposed because the ball was cheaply given away ? or the holding mid or the CB was off playing out of control and mindless soccer

6. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The answer is A LOT. Or were those rhetorical questions?

For what its worth Ashley Cole has been a pleasant surprise this year. I didn't think he'd be able to fight off the inevitable injuries that plague players at the end of their careers, but he has.

7. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I have witnessed consistently from Cole in his 2 yrs with galaxy is 60-70% of crosses go behind the goal on the near side, most well into the seats, several go over the far touch and almost all that are played into the mixer are waist high and easily cut out by the closest defender. Almost completely ineffectual. However he is clearly our best and smartest defender at the moment--no competition.

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about damning with faint praise....

barroldinho and The Cadaver repped this.
  9. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being sarcastic. Looks like we'll have two expansion teams in LA next year

TrickHog repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I got your sarcasm Beakmon. ;) I was just pointing out that even NewArsenal11's long list of player needs was incomplete.
    Also I wish we were an expansion team next season - it would give us more flexibility to dump the deadwood on the team!

Dr.Phil and The Cadaver repped this.
  11. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

12. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This job was over Curts pay grade. Not sure the replacement staff brought in make us much better. its like hiring old recycled NfL coaches. no disrespect to the accomplishments sigi and dom have done in the past. They are legends. Do you think Crystal Palace will survive the season with taking the safe bet? just asking?

13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #188 skydog, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Sigi at least has a record of being successful at every MLS team he has coached. But he was brought onto an absolute trainwreck of a team that got even worse when JVD was allowed to leave and got even "worser" when the FO-picked Ciani was brought in as a replacement. Add in that he was presented with a remaining schedule that was objectively ranked as the toughest SOS in MLS.

The future direction of this team is going to be determined maybe 80% by off-season personnel moves, with the other 20% split up between coaching/injuries/etc. And there are so many bad contracts already on the books that we have no room for error. And even if everything is done right it may take 2 or 3 years to get this team back to the top.

My long winded way of saying we don't need a younger coach, we need someone who is good at bringing in better players. A whole bunch of better players to be precise.

The Cadaver, MPNumber9, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if we've learned anything, it's that GM job is super-important.

Having said that, I'd love if LA went with a sexier pick. But we need to focus on just being competent at this point; sexy's out the window.

15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After that display I'm wavering. We may need a new coach just to get a fresh start and get the stink off this team.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  16. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

17. NewArsenal11

NewArsenal11 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    didnt see the game yet. i may get heat on this but zigi should have given hugo and smith the run out. Rafa never should have played atlanta at rb. and ciani has been leaking goals. the rookies arnt ready but they show promise. very hard to put rookie defenders into this mess and expect miracles. i know smith gets killed on here but he was also thrust prematurly into that role. started well and has faded like everyone else. go back and watch the seatle game. he had three and two vs 1 all first half before curt made tactical adjustments. He needed another year to develope .Curt dodnt prepare anyone on G2 tactically for the next level. i watch all the games
    shocking. bjiv has amazing potential. playing under Curt rei forced all the bad habits that leep him fro. excelling at the next level. Get a coach at g2 that knows what kids need to contribute at G1.

TrickHog and SupraEA repped this.
  18. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think this is a real problem. Onalfo was a bad coach and Munoz's only experience was with kids. At the start I was blaming the poor performance of the team on the age of the players, but more and more it seems like they don't have a plan.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did he wait so long to sub?

skydog repped this.
  20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who remembers Sigi's first tour of duty with LAG, this is pretty much SOP for him. In this case, it may have been a matter of testing and evaluating conditioning of players. I don't know if that was his reasoning or not, but it's plausible.

We used to joke that he maybe gets a cash bonus for any unused substitution.

21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Disappointing to hear. The intelligent use of subs is a big part of being a great coach. Because of the hot, humid weather and soggy field the game against Houston was screaming for fresh legs around the 70th minute. I assumed Ema was hurt when he didn't appear. Then Sigi brings him in at minute 94?

Geneva repped this.
  22. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose if he no longer cares whether we win and only wants to test and evaluate players before he makes personnel moves, some of this may make sense. He by now knows what he can get from Ema. Not sure why he put Ema in at all unless exigencies forced the move - don't recall who came out then.

23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I took it to be a delay tactic. Houston was threatening and we were hanging on by a thread in stoppage time so that was a good time to waste 30 secs by using a sub. OTOH he did a simultaneous double sub (I think) at minute 94. That seemed weird - why not string them out 1 at a time if you are trying to use up the clock?

Dr.Phil and TOAzer repped this.
  24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So Sigi will be on for next year at least but, I really wish AEG would get us back to the top of the league in terms of signings; star players and especially manager. It's a huge recruiting tool that could get us good, cheap depth or even starters on the level of one Miguel Almiron. Luis Enrique or Carlo Ancelotti shouldn't be considered out-of-reach for us. We should be leading the way in these types of acquisitions...

http://www.espnfc.us/atlanta-united...yers-attracted-to-major-league-soccer-almiron

"Atlanta United's Miguel Almiron believes young players from his home continent of South America are increasingly attracted by the prospect of playing in Major League Soccer.

The Paraguay national team member said his decision to sign with Atlanta from Argentina-based Lanus was an easy one, especially given the recruitment efforts of manager Tata Martino.

'When Tata called me, and told me about the proposal and the things they were doing here, I didn't hesitate to say yes to him,' said Almiron of the manager who guided his country to a best-ever quarterfinal finish at the 2010 World Cup. 'Because he's an idol in Paraguay, for my family too, and it's a great honor to have him as a coach.' "

MPNumber9 and JPAR repped this.