RIP Sigi Schmid

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Jul 27, 2017.

1. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you might like to see the response I received from my ticket rep. It is a little soft and fuzzy, but at the least it shows that they are aware of the issue and I give him points for not simply blowing off my complaint and ignoring it.

"Understood. We’ve been getting that feedback from many season ticket members here is the gist of the stance that the Galaxy has for the chant happening at our games:

· This is an issue and we believe that it has no place in our game, in our stadium, and certainly does not represent the values that we hold as a club.

· We have collectively been working with MLS, US Soccer, and CONCACAF to try and figure out the most effective way to deal with this and believe that there are some measures that we have discussed that we could put into place that would address the issue.

· Here’s the video that we produced that we play before every game: https://mlssoccer.app.box.com/s/608hb1ek9h1xkaym6uw5p4xc09tzzv3o

· We also play this video MLS produced before every game:

· We can look to play the video again at half time. We can also look to freshen up the video we produced to include JDS and potentially speak more directly to the homophobic nature of that chant. We can also reinforce with our supporters to help drown out the chant like we’ve done in the past as they are adamantly opposed to this as well.

· This is an issue that we take very seriously and would like to see it removed from our games and we appreciate our fans drawing attention to it.

Always assisting,"

It took me a little bit of time to decode the last sentence in the penultimate* paragraph. I think he is saying the supporters groups are opposed to the chant and they are being encouraged to drown it out.

*I knew that some day some time I would have a use for that word.

kaburu, shelbo, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  2. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they bring back that weird "Go, Galaxy, go!" chant they played over the speakers at the Rose Bowl in '96.

Geneva repped this.
  3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kaburu repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    At least they fired the biggest clown in the circus.

6. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is it just scapegoating? Yeah Curt was a complete joke from day 1, but in the overall mess of things he has much less responsibility than Pete and Chris

phoenixhazard and MPNumber9 repped this.
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Possibly, but two data points make it debatable.

The Galaxy were a good road team under Curt, but a HORRIBLE home squad. Why was that? Too many distractions? Poor focus? Bad tactics at home?

Two, when Curt was canned in his first gig at KC, he basically claimed he didn't have the horses to compete, yet when Vermes came down from the front office to coach the team, they improved with the very same players that Onalfo said weren't good enough.

It was never going to be easy to follow Arena, but Onalfo came with a track record of ineptitude and he lived up to that reputation.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    If Bruce was our Sir Alex.
    and Curt was our Moyes but worse.
    Sigi could easily be our Van Gaal. A slightly unappreciated tenure, somewhat hampered by odd personnel decisions from the previous regime. A minor cup win, but ultimately not enough to win over the team/fans.

So who’s going to be our Mourinho? I’m going to say Mourinho. He’ll win the league and maybe more his year, then piss everyone off next season, get sacked in November and come to LA in time for the 2019 season :D

hav77, JPAR, Beakmon FC and 6 others repped this.
  9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

L.A. Native repped this.
  10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :thumbsdown:

Baysider repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh, great. If only you could the excitement on my face.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  12. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm trying to put a positive spin on this and the only thing I can think of is that Sigi wants an assistant who can be more forceful with the players. Maybe to provide leadership in a way that a young assistant can't do. But this just seems like our typical mistake; look around to see who's unemployed in the neighborhood and hire them.

hav77, JPAR and TrickHog repped this.
  13. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not excited at the prospect of this but we'll just have to see how it plays out. Sigi has the team playing very poorly and Kinnear should be able to help in the locker room and in terms of stabilizing a team on the field. He's certainly not a tactical genius but guys seem to like him and as long as he's not in charge of any personnel decisions, I think he could do some good in the short term.

However I'm very concerned that he'll be a shoe-in for head coach for whenever Sigi's tenure with us is over. You just know that's the sort of thing this front office would do.

hav77 repped this.
  14. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If nothing else, we can wager on how many times Dom spits every game.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like a knee jerk reaction. They took a wild chance on Onafalo. Team and organization are taking a beating. Sigi comes in. Ship is still sinking so you get Dominic.

We have no clue what we are doing and how to get out.

16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. All of the moves now seem like panic reactions / kneejerks. They are mostly redoubling the problems.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  17. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cross-pollination, not cross-contamination?

Grumpy in LA, Dr.Phil and TrickHog repped this.
  18. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm trying to understand ... in this analogy is Dom a worker bee, our players are flowers, and Sigi is the queen bee?

Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  19. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the Hindenburg all the way down.....

20. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we've hired the deposed coaches of our biggest rivals.

Is this a plot by LAFC to kill off the G's?

TrickHog repped this.
  21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Could Sigi have plans to move upstairs?

TrickHog repped this.
  22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That seems like results-oriented thinking and unfair to Sigi. Yes results have sucked since the tie with Seattle but we also have been really, really unlucky since Sigi came in (as opposed to just "really unlucky" under Curt).

Since Sigi took over:
    1. In over half the games we have ended up with 10 players on the field,
    2. We've hit the posts and crossbar at least 5 times in the last 3 games.
    3. Our best player Alessandrini has been unavailable or playing at 80% because of his injury.
    4. JVD, the heart of our defense, never played a game.
    5. VAR came in and the results have been 7 or 8 game changing VAR calls in a row against us.
    6. Four of the five games have been against #2 and #3 in the East and #1 and #2 in the West.
    7. We finally get a team we should beat in SJ and a) Cole is out due to a previous VAR induced red, b) a couple hours before the game Alessandrini's wife goes into labor and we lose him, c) we hit the crossbar and miss multiple point blank shots in the first half, d) van Anholdt goes down with a non-contact induced serious injury and then e) Smith comes in and immediately gets a soft red and is sent off the field.

It's hard to win when you take over a weak team and then lose your best scorer, your best defender and everything else that could go bad does. I don't think Sigi is the problem.

23. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all thought that about Sarachan too.

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FlapJack, rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  25. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said Sigi was the problem, just the team hasn't played well since he took over and not just in terms of results but in terms of on-field play. He gets a full pardon until next season because he inherited a dumpster fire but I'm still looking to see at least something going forward this season, regardless of the excuses and bad luck (and VAR, posts and crossbars are not valid excuses). I'm not asking for a lot, just some improvement in something somewhere.

rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.