RIP Sigi Schmid

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Jul 27, 2017.

1. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you quoted has nothing to do with that. It refereed to whether Sigi has had a full roster thus far, and TrickHog was saying that, no, he hasn't had a full roster available to him, which is undoubtedly true given that half of the time he hasn't had our best defender or attacking player available.

2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were down to to 10 men, you recall?

This game was over a week ago. Time to move on, my brutha.

barroldinho repped this.
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wait - you weren't happy with Sigi's 89th minute sub against Seattle? I didn't realize that - you should have mentioned that was what was bothering you.

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, in that game, at the point you are complaining, Sigi also had a limited roster. He was limited to 10 players on the field. While the other team got 11.

ProudNatRN, barroldinho and The Cadaver repped this.
  5. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did against Seattle, which was a more important and likely game to get the win. And that's the game I'm talking about.

6. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soon as you can let go... I'm not the one prolonging the point. :) Anyway, what's the difference, it's a long wait until next season. Need to talk about something.

7. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know threads get sidetracked in different directions, including my responses, but check my original post. All of this discussion (at least the parts I'm involved with) is based on my unhappiness with Sigi's 89th minute sub against Seattle and (sort of) jokingly calling for his firing based on it. Not a good start to his coaching reign.

8. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, well, I guess poor Sigi has a good excuse built in then, and plenty of forgiving fans on Bigsoccer. There's always next year, right? :thumbsup:

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    As is frquently the case, and being guilty of it myself it’s easy to recognize, discussions can reach a point where “winning” the argument or at least not “losing” it takes precedence over good faith discussion. Seems that point has been reached here. The sentiment of not liking the decision to sub Gio in the 89th minute is purely subjective, the opinion it was objectively wrong is, in the original sense of the word, incredible.

Geneva repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I still don't get it - are you thinking he should have made that sub sooner?

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should I create a "Sigi's 89th Minute Sub in Seattle Game Discussion" thread and send this debate there?

:)

Geneva, Berks, hav77 and 3 others repped this.
  12. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think we have enough ironic "Fire Sigi" threads.

TrickHog repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Shouldn't the title be "Worst decision by a coach in MLS history"?

shelbo, barroldinho and GalaxyKoa repped this.
  14. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is aware of that...

15. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Maybe he'll read it and learn not to repeat it.

wcmanes and TrickHog repped this.
  16. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Aware that BS has a Parenting & Family forum? Who knew?!?!

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Small sample size but one point in 3 games is not much of a dead cat bounce.

18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    For comparison’s sake Bruce took 2 points from the first three games. Bruce’s final '08 record: 2-4-4. Not to suggest Sigi will go on to accomplish what Bruce did in rebuilding the team, but just even a good coach with a poorly built, poorly balanced and demoralized team will struggle to squeeze results – and I still maintain our difference makers in '08 (Beckham, Donovan & Buddle) were considerably more likely to steal the team a win.

Sigi gets a free pass through the end of the year for me. I’d like to see progress, but in terms of results I don’t care.

Berks, The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably depends on how dead that cat is.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Results are fickle - quality of play is more stable. After the first 20 or so minutes against NYCFC we played well and created numerous scoring opportunities. I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've generated 21 shots and 14 corners in a game this season. If we continue to create goal scoring chances I will be happy with Sigi's coaching. We do still have work to do on limiting opponents free shots from the top of the box though.

barroldinho, MPNumber9, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  21. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I renewed and got a thank you note from my ticket rep. I replied with the following:

"I know you can't do anything about the dismal state of the club, but I wanted you to know that if Curt Onolfo had not been fired, I would not have renewed. This has been by far the least enjoyable season ever.

But, please pass along to the powers that be that I and fans around me are finding the resurgent "********" chant from the south GA section offensive. Take the "don't cross the line" meme seriously for a change. PA announcements saying that chant is unacceptable should be made. People should be ejected. I hate to think this is a by-product of bring in the Dos Santos brothers. Regardless, the silence from the club is deafening and amounts to condoning homophobia. Stop it".

22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cadaver is my hero.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

In some respects, we looked like a pre-season team playing an in-form team. We had the superior individual talent level, but it just wasn't quite coming together in the final product....

24. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend, who is also a season ticket member, went on a Twitter campaign about this yesterday. He is urging everyone to write to Pete and Chris urging them to do something about that. He won't renew unless more is done. The chants last weekend were noticeably worse with the addition of JDS. This needs to stop.

hav77 and kaburu repped this.
  25. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I almost want to get season tickets again to add my voice to this request. Think I need another year though to catch up on sleep

TrickHog repped this.