RIP Sigi Schmid

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Jul 27, 2017.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #276 skydog, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Agree. The thing is that he is talking to his players, to his fans and to the entire Galaxy organization when he talks to the press. If a coach is saying "oh well, giving up a 2 goal lead is good enough against a bottom tier team" he's lowering the bar for Galaxy expectations. And - forget the points earned or not earned - how can he be ok with our defense still being shambolic and giving up three goals? Scoring one golazo in a game should get us a at least a tie - we score three in one game and still don't win?? He should be absolutely livid.

We need more ambitious leadership. Starting at the very top.

2. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think he is pulling some kind of highly advanced, reverse psychology thing?

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is he is being polite about the players in public, and then ripping them new ones behind closed doors. At least, that’s what I would do....

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We can’t beat worst teams in league no matter where we play them. Poor defensive signings in off-season. I’m officially ready for Sigi to go.

5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loss to a poor team on Independence Day sealed it for Curt, and he was one point ahead of Sigi at the same time las season.

generaladmissision18 and Skevin repped this.
  6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This is the biggest wtf for me. Onalfo was awful, but so were the players he had. I mean look at our starting XI from last 4th of July:

Clement Diop; Nathan Smith, Dave Romney, Bradley Diallo, Ashley Cole; Jaime Villarreal, João Pedro; Bradford Jamieson IV, Jose Villarreal, Emmanuel Boateng; Jack McInerney

Sigi has a drastically better squad. I say even our defense is a lot better than last year, and yet we are still worse off? Sigi needs to be removed if we want to salvage this season.

7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not impossible to make up ground for the playoffs, given we still get to play some real softies down the stretch: Rapids, Seattle, and Minnesota twice. Thing is, we've just shown that we can't get points from worse teams than them.

8. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get rid of Sigi now. Admit it was a mistake to hire him. As I have said before, he got fired from Seattle 2 yeas ago, then his replacement won MLS Cup. Why are we settling for Seattle's cast off? WTF is that? Sigi has never once instilled any confidence, nor had one good run. It has been non-stop disappointment. He came in last year with a great shot at the playoffs, and tanked the team hard. Now after half a year with a better roster, we are no better.

L.A. Native repped this.
  9. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And besides the results, just listening to Sigi speak would make me want to go play for another team. He sounds so weak and uninspiring every time I hear him interviewed. No wonder the team seems to have no cohesion or backbone.

generaladmissision18 repped this.
  10. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After a bad call from the ref, the camera went to Sigi and you see him "yelling" at the 4th official.

He's either a really uninspired timid man, or his heart isn't in it anymore.

I doubt the 4th official even heard him..

GalaxyOne repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Wait, what?

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not, when Sigi took over for Onalfo, he was basically almost at the exact point he's at this season, points-wise. He then went on to have a worst record and suffer more blowout losses than Onalfo.

13. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Sigi was rehired I thought he was just a caretaker at first to get us through the remaining of the season. It was a mistake to commit to Sigi beyond the latter half of last season. He was an uninspired, safety blanket hire.

Baysider and L.A. Native repped this.
  14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yeah, but I wouldn’t say we currently have a great shot to make the playoffs in 2018 and I don’t think we had a great shot at making them in 2017 when Sigi was hired.

Sigi made a badly constructed team worse and he’s subsequently reconstructed an equally poor team, but saying “LA had a great chance of making the playoffs” in 2017 is revisionist history.

kaburu repped this.
  15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We are 1 point off a playoff spot. We are still in the thick of things, but honestly I don't see us every clicking under Sigi.

With Bruce, we had slow starts, but you could see it was slowly getting better. Under Sigi, it's been the same for months. We have been suspect at the back for a year now, and we are being carried this season by Ibra's performances. Last season is was Alessandrini. We are only better off this season because the teams around us are really bad.

GalaxyOne and JPAR repped this.
  16. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I officially label you a Sigi apologist. We have a great chance to make the playoffs this year, and slightly less but still decent chance in 2017.

17. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Schmid was fired in Seattle, where the Sounders had struggled to a 6-12-2 record after 20 games. Longtime assistant Brian Schmetzer took over and led the Sounders to their first MLS Cup title."

Why did we hire Sigi, again?

Maybe the solution is right in front of our eyes. Fire Sigi and see if Dom can take us to the MLS Cup!

18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Not sure how you get Sigi apologist from “took a bad team and made it worse”, but then again you’ve managed to de-escalate “great chance of making the playoffs” to “decent chance” in the space of a single post, you seem to have a different thesaurus than I do.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine, label it whatever you want. I think you're getting hung up on details and missing the main point. You need some context to go with that Thesaurus of yours. I would say it was about the same as when Bruce was hired for the USMNT. Only a few points away. If the coach is good and has confidence in what he is doing, there was a very good chance to make the cut. Plenty of games were left to play in both cases. Unfortunately, they both failed. Though Bruce at least put up a decent fight. Sigi was a disaster.

20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #295 MPNumber9, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    I'll play devil's advocate a bit after listening to Guesman's show last night:

Like 2017, this is another season where we've been completely racked by injuries and absences to key players. We lost our starting RB for months. Romain was out for some time. Both Dos Santos brothers have suffered from phantom injuries or have been out for call-ups. Lletget and Boateng are both down currently and we've just gotten Ola back. According to Guesman's numbers, Gio's played about 20% of total available minutes, Jona around 47%, Romain about 65%. More than half the games LA has played has been without all 3 DPs. I think back to the LAFC game -- none of our DPs played in that match. There are also 5 starters that have never played a minute together (Zlatan, Ola, Jona, Gio and Kitchen).

Luckily, Zlatan is having a DP-caliber impact and we've been able to plug a hole by giving BJIV more time, but these are real issues that are somewhat out of Sigi's control. For instance, returning from the break, the Galaxy have 3 matches in 8 days, 2 of which we expected to win -- but we've been missing 5-6 starting caliber players: Feltscher, Gio, Jona, Lletget, Boateng, Ola (I also notice Carrasco wasn't in the 18 for the last two matches, is he also injured?). Obviously, this severely impacts who Sigi can rotate for this series of matches.

Given some of these challenges, does it change your mind about how Sigi's doing? Has he done well, considering the absences, or should he have managed better? If all the guys return for the run down the stretch, is Sigi the right coach to lead them on a run to the playoffs?

21. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that doesn't change my mind about Sigi. Even though I think we have the players and could go on a good run when everyone returns to the lineup, I don't think Sigi is the guy. Not anymore than Curt was. I don't think Sigi's lineup has been any more hampered than Curt's was. To that excuse I say, well then we should have made sure to win the games when we were at full strength. Sigi looks uninspiring and has made some very poor defensive minded subs in key games when we needed wins.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  22. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, we need a younger, fresher, approach to compete in this new MLS. I would like to see Porter or Kreis or another younger guy with good credentials and ambition in the job.

23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #298 skydog, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    I don’t buy it. Gio's injury has likely been a blessing and Rolf was a terrible defender when he was healty. And Sigi didn't use Ema regularly even when he was healthy. Plus all teams have injuries to deal with.

Our problem is that our entire team could be healthy and it still wouldn't be very good. We have a # of offensive weapons but we can't get stops if our life depended on it - healthy or not. I honestly can't think of anything positive that Sigi has done for the Galaxy except allow us to get rid of Onalfo.

Sigi and the FO need to go.

luigi-55, hav77, GalaxyOne and 2 others repped this.
  24. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree. Fire Sigi AND Klein. This is a joke. More money to spend then most of MLS and they can'y but a decent defense. The fixes to this team are crystal clear - sell Gio and do it (and maybe all 3 DP's). With Zlatan up front, we could win every game 1-0, it's not rocket science. But we apparently have no master plan, no blue print, it's just add players on a random basis. Can anyone tell me what this the identity of this current team is?

hav77 and GalaxyOne repped this.
  25. luigi-55

luigi-55 Member

LA Galaxy
    Netherlands
    May 7, 2010
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    FIRE KLEIN NOW !!