Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Never mind.

3. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I completely agree that the protest was a silly hill to choose to die on. But I was at the game in the south stand (119) and it was a NOTICEABLE difference without them participating. AF was a tomb unless something dramatic occurred on the pitch. It was very clear only a small portion of the North stand was singing (Bara) and the rest of AF half assed joined in. I will concede there were moments in the 2nd half when AF sang and it got loud- it was impressive.

But on a whole, AF was pretty quiet for a sellout crowd. I think alot of that had to do with the North Stand being only about 1/3 of its normal 'power' and it didn't resonate like its normally capable of. In the 1st half, they even had DCU staff going over to the North to ask why they were so quiet! So yes- the silence was deafening.

But I agree it was dumb. DCU already had their money, and likely their beer money. :ROFLMAO:

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I was protesting Felipe.

5. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I would have taken Wilmer Cabrera in a heartbeat over Ben. Too bad Montreal already snapped him up.

jjsocr repped this.
  6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A poor hired gun..................pass

7. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Not 1st choice but a substantial improvement

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not even close. Run of the mill hired gun. Gone in less than 3 seasons.

9. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Haha, even if he's run of the mill its a huge improvement. Season is shot, firing Ben and having caretaker would be great. If only Ben was run of the mill.

sitruc, Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A what that were true................................

11. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    I was listening to Counterattack this evening on Sirius XM 157.
    Charlie Davies was one of the talking heads, with some insightful thoughts regarding how Arsenal could score when Liverpool's wings push too far forward (he was more articulate than this).
    The thought occured that, for $250,000/ year, we could pry Davies from the radio.
    There is no way he could do worse than Ben.*

*Kills me to say stuff like this.

shawn12011 repped this.
  12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    He’s merely smart enough to regurgitate what everyone else is saying

13. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    I’ve been firmly in the “Ben Olsen” crowd for ages, but this squad is severely underperforming. This is the deepest this squad has ever been and we are still chasing the game. I know there was an injury bug this summer, but right now we should be playing much better and our goals need to come from build up of play instead of hoping on a world class strike to get on the scoreboard. If we miss the playoffs, clean house in the coaching ranks and GM spot if needed.

MattR, ejs1111, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  14. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben,

Thanks for the memories but it’s time to say goodbye.

sitruc, roadrunnerecuador and Winoman repped this.
  15. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'd give him until the end of the season if he wants to stay because it would be hard to find an interim coach. On the other hand, maybe, Harkes, Moreno or Echteverry would be willing to serve as an interim coach and take their chances of being hired full-time for next year. Harkes, for example, should be available and had a good season with FC Cincinnati in the minor leagues before running afoul of their front office.

Frankly, with the talent we've got on hand, Olsen hasn't had much to work with. I think that, without Rooney, we would have been Eastern Conference bottom feeders for the past couple of years. Looking at it this way, United is now free falling to where we should be in the standings. Good coaching provides an edge, but no coach can spin straw into gold. I tend to think that, in sports, you are what your record says you are.

16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind, on second thought. It's too late in the season to change horses midstream. Let's just let Benny be Benny and do what he can in the style that is most natural to him. As cheap as our ownership is, no reputable coach would want to work here next year anyway.

17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we assume that former great players (Harkes, Moreno, Etcheverry) would be great, or at least competent coaches? (Harkes, at least, has a coaching resume). Why not great or at least good players for other teams? And what about great coaches who never played at a high level, such as Houllier; Sacchi. Wenger, Parreira?

ejs1111, Winoman and John L repped this.
  18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Agree. Lasorda and Anderson were two of the best managers ever - they were career minor league players. In hockey, Gretzky and Phil Esposito were disasters.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ownership is cheap and Ben comes cheap. I don't see a change coming without a change in ownership unless Ben himself decides he needs to give someone else a chance, In any case, Ben is so fully wedded to DC that I'm sure he would remain in town. A move upstairs to a position where his persona and his roots with the team and the city can be an asset to a new group would be a good move IMO.

bigredfutbol, John L, tallguy and 2 others repped this.
  20. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The next coach should have no affiliation with this club or even connection with it (never played on an opposing team or whatever). It’s clear we can’t be trusted with nostalgia when it isn’t working out on the field.

JRHokie and Eastern Bear repped this.
  21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is David Moyes up to?

tallguy repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After last year's run I was ready to give him this year to prove if it was a fluke or not.
    It seems like it was. I'm ready to blow up this team including the coach and especially the assistant coach and GM.
    What's the best guess on how many coaches all other MLS teams have had since Olsen started? 75?

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wonder if Harkes would leave his USL-1 job in South Carolina if DC United came calling.

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would he be any better?

25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

would anyone in this FO know who John Harkes is???

bigredfutbol, sitruc, ejs1111 and 2 others repped this.