Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Jalen Robinson isn’t playing because he’s not good just like Fisher isn’t good, just like Durkin isn’t good, just like many young players we have aren’t good

2. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    The several times I've seen Robinson play he has been "adequate". Brillant's play to my eye is inadequate.

asitis

Dizi, superdave, bigredfutbol and 5 others repped this.
  3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durkin is good.

UnitedBorn, ImNumberTen, Dizi and 4 others repped this.
  4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not the real deal yet, but is still learning. He has a high ceiling IMHO.

YoungRef87, NicktheGreek and asitis repped this.
  5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Part of a coach's job is to take younger players and develop them into better players from one season to the next. Several of the guys on your crap list are drafted by us, and Ben is the only pro coach they've ever known.

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he is. He is one of the few players who I see making the right moves with the right attitude.

Dizi repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    A couple more seasons here and those traits will be "coached" out of him. He can join NDL in the "we thought he had a higher ceiling" club.

FLSoccerGran, song219, ejs1111 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The LA fans want to string up Perry Kitchen because he's so awful. And Bill Hamid isn't exactly lighting up the world. Is Andy Najar still alive?

But you guys have your narratives.

Kempa repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I always thought Kitchen was overrated. Hamid is a great shot stopper, his distribution was, on his best days, below average. I can't offer an opinion on his organization ability back there. Considering he oft times was being shelled, I don't think he was helping in that regard.

The more meta point is that these guys are all products of the Kasper/Olsen regime. You can't put the blame fully on Kasper for selecting dogs in the draft or in acquisitions either abroad or intraleague. Olsen had input in those decisions as well. And, you can go on and on about Ashton actually "runs" practices and is the "tactical" coach, at the end of the day it's Olsen who is responsible for the product. So even if he isn't "coaching" he's signing off on the goat rodeo being "coached" by Ashton. My guess is that unless things turn around quickly, one of Rooney or Olsen will be gone because Rooney likely won't stand for this shit debacle much longer -- he probably could go to China or the Middle East and get a bigger payday and just mail it in..

10. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Oh I agree reaction time is slower. But that's even more reason to shade a striker towards the help! Not stand flat and square.

I can only imagine an international player is doing this because he's being told to do so. And that's just ridiculous.

11. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Mullins had a nice goal and an assist for the Crew last night...

Rick77, Dizi, morrissey and 2 others repped this.
  12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I still thought the team looked terrible tactically. Players not knowing where to be, and Rooney constantly being late into the box to make himself available to service.

The difference was simply individual quality. We just have much better players, so even though they have no plan, eventually they'll create chances if the other team concedes time and space.

In the end DC was lucky to get the 3 points. For all the tiki taka in and around the box, we just couldn't get that second goal. Only bailed out by a lucky bounce in the 90th minute.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Did anyone else notice the tactical change Colorado made on our set pieces at the beginning of the second half, designed to facilitate fast transitions into attack? Is it fair to ask why our coaching staff seemingly didn't?

sitruc, Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  14. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty nice to see what a competent coach with tactical can get out of a player.

Eastern Bear, Boloni86 and Dizi repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    They did, but it took too long to get a response from the "What do we do now Arsene?" web app they installed on their phones. If they saw it they're as clueless as a cave man trying to load a rock in a .45 as to what to do next

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is my main objection to Olsen.

USSoccerNova, Boloni86 and Dizi repped this.
  17. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I watched the 2nd half of SKC v FCD right after DC scraped out a win and almost shed real tears.

Not exaggerating when I say that it looked like a completely different sport being played. Two very well coached teams...*sigh*

Olsen at his "best" is lightyears behind Vermes, Pareja, etc

I'm ready to move on.

ejs1111 repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Ousted eventually made some defenders move out to them.

19. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Where do I sign up for job security without performance requirements?
    The guy is 40+ games under .500. The GM has the league record for recycling his own players that he traded away - and he hasn't even done that in several years but still holds the record. There's zero accountability for his decisions like Brillant. just getting it all out. Anyone else get the survey from the team today?

FLSoccerGran, Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that Olsen's contract requires him to retain a FO job with DC United if he is fired as coach.

Maybe years ago when that contract was inked they probably figured if he was fired he wouldn't take a job and do the honorable thing and move on. I don't think he's smart enough to move on. I think he sees DC United as his factory job that he is going to have for life.

21. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Is this true? 1st I've of this!

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone deserves that clause in his contract, it's Olsen. You have to remember the context as well.

You guys sound like job security is a bad thing, I hope you're fired this afternoon (not really, but damn...)

There have been times I have wished Ben wasn't the coach - for him as well as for the team, but I'd never want to see him not-associated with United.

He's shown loyalty to the team that frankly its owners do not deserve, he should feel as if he's owed something by them.

23. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say that but any other MLS owner would have sent Olsen out on the street seasons ago.The only thing management owes Olsen is payment for services performed.

Boloni86 and Dizi repped this.
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has to be something better than Olsen - Ashton - Sheldon. I wouldn't shed a tear if Ashton was canned, and I don't know what Sheldon brings (although I've seem Ben talk things over with him during a match), but I would like to see a soft landing for Benny, because he is such a part of the city as well as the team.

Winoman repped this.
  25. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen needs new assistants, hard minimum. I do believe he is capable of communicating his vision, but no faith in his ability to implement it.
    Olsen as player coach/figurehead could really work with a team of assistants working on the nuts and bolts. He would have to be willing to delegate, let loose the reins and cheerlead a bit.

Sports are different, but I've found the best managers in business are above the fray, give good face and deal with the every day work at a certain remove. I would like to see this transition. More CEO, less warehouse guy who happened to get promoted.