Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always appreciative to read anything on the club.

2. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they had a preseason coaches meeting that went something like this...

BEN: last year other teams are scoring on us to easy we need to focus on defence

After first game tie:

BEN: We game up a lead and tied... Clearly we need more focus on defense.

PLAYERs: We bunkered too much for too long

BEN: More defense at practice

After second game loss:

BEN: We gave up way too many goals... Must focus even more on defense

PLAYERs: We need to have some plan on what to do after we win the ball

BEN: no focus defense defense defense grit grit grit... Win by scoring off the occasional set piece.

Repeat all season, every season. It's tradition at this point.

ejs1111 repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My coaching experience was brief and confined to youth, but one thing I insisted on that made a difference was to tell the kids that the minute their team recovered possession each player, instantly, had to go into attack mode and identify where they should be on the field both to maintain possession and to put the opponent under maximum pressure. "Heads on a swivel!" I would say. and get moving. I think it's good advice, but I don't see much of it with DCU. Too much standing around and expecting the play to come to you instead of doing something to ensure that even if you don't get the pass you've pulled a defender with you and opened something up for a teammate.

roadkit, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok so I will take over for Ben and you can be my assistant. :D

shammypants repped this.
  5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    There are different schools of thought on this. What you are describing is what many call the "high block" and it's what the great Barcelona and Milan Champions League teams did. It can be complicated and when poorly executed can lead to trouble. Usually when employing a "high block" it's a good idea to have your attacking players do what you describe and man up aggressively. However, your deeper defenders need to back off and defend space because if someone misses a tackle or an assignment you can be hit hard on a pass over the top or into space (which is abundant when you man mark closely). To make things even more complicated, your defenders should mark space, but also maintain a high defensive line so they can intercept errant passes made more frequent by the high pressing employed by your attackers who just lost the ball.

The big problem with a high block approach and DC United is that you need to have attackers who are very fast and skilled on the ball because the moment they force a turnover, they are in position to get marked by the same defender they were pressing. Stieber is not really all that fast and I don't think Segura and Moreno are all that fast either. They do have better ball skills. The talent level required to consistently run a high block is tougher in today's MLS because every team is loaded with athletes. Arena ran the high block from time to time with DCU because the level of athleticism in MLS was poor back in the day (Think of Mike Burns as a star right back for NE).

6. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are many tactics that can be employed and many teams build an identity embracing a tactical philosophy. The only tactic this team employs is the bunker.

dredgfan, TowsonDad and Eastern Bear repped this.
  7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I try to follow what DCU does and I was thinking recently that maybe it's a poor attempt at a low block. A low block sits back just on top of the 18 yard box until the attack approaches your back line who then presses aggressively. Your attackers (at least 2) should hang a little high and mark zonally so they can release for a cleared (or well passed ball). The problem I see is that all 10 field players are aggressively employing the low block on Olsen's squad. My earlier post rings horrifyingly true in that case because, at that point, your 2 lone attackers are easily marked by the same defenders that were being pressed. This is what we see every game. Some people get confused and believe opponents are employing a high press against us all game long when, in reality, it's just too easy to put a little pressure on the guy next to you.

BassNFool repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NicktheGreek and griffin1108 repped this.
  9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Olsen is one of the most prolific backpassers in DC United history. Of course he's coaching this team to do that -- it's what he knows.

10. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump... Nothing to add... He must go, the sooner, the better.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now all we need is someone to create a DC United version of the "Downfall" meme.

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man I can't believe that Olsen told them to make those crappy passes in the back. I may be coming around to firing him since he clearly instructed them to make those passes!!!!!!!

13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Why are good players making shitty plays and being bad? Is Asad bad or is the team coached badly and be sucks as a result?

It’s Olsen’s fault.

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on. You are Ben Olsen aren’t you? Or his brother.

James

15. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players on this team have changed alot over the last seven years of suckitude. The common factor... Ben Olsen.

superdave, Winoman and onefineesq repped this.
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No I have been in this game for well over 40 years and understand tactics. I also understand coaching. I also know this is crappy players not bad coaching.

17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Lol we’re playing against a Houston team of total garbage. A team with Demarcus Beasley as a STARTER. Ok. We are playing bad teams with bad players and they aren’t getting clowned.

18. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These were not crappy players. Under Ben's coaching they seem to have become crappy.

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These aren’t bad players. We have perhaps our strongest lineup in 8 years.

At some point when good players systematically underperform the fault is with the system.

James

Rick77, majspike, Hedbal and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done.

mosca and Winoman repped this.
  21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no connection, and a ton of little things. Like go and meet the ball, stop waiting for everything.

22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strongest lineup on paper. No coach would have told them to make those two crappy plays. Not even the worst Rec Coach ever so again how is that coaching.

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first pass was poor judgement, the second pass was poor understanding between players. Given the first was made by a 24 year old we just got our hands on a month ago and the second was between two players who'd never been on the pitch together, I don't see how either was "Ben's fault."

Seriously, there are plenty of good reasons to fire him if that's the point someone wants to make. No need to manufacture them. :confused:

shawn12011 repped this.
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wall Street Journal weekend newspaper had an article on managerial job security in the Premier League. As of today, nine Premier League managers have been fired out of the twenty who began the season in August, one short of the record. And Chelsea's owner has fired 12 managers in 14 years! Ben Olsen is very, very lucky that he works for very forgiving owners in a very forgiving league.

roadkit repped this.
  25. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That's was the slogan of DCU season 1. "The Tradition begins". At least they stuck with something