Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    We'll have to go to the VAR to see which move was dumber, I contend that Ventura will replace testa di merda in the Italian language from this date forward, Olsen will be forgotten by all but a very few soon enough

2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    OK Ben "sat out" the Orlando debacle but his fingerprints were all over the damning evidence. Time to warm this thread up again

3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well shut it down, there's no chance he's fired this year. It's his reward for working for peanuts with peanuts up to this point. I do believe next season sees a new coach unless something miraculous happens.

Winoman, Dizi and John L repped this.
  4. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, unless/until the ownership is ready to rebuild the team, Olsen isn't going anywhere. Why would a new coach come in if he isn't given resources to make the team competitive?

5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Isn't that what they just tried to do do during the off season? Do you think Olsen could do better with the best 11 in the world?

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm sorry but resources are becoming less and less of an excuse. A quick glance at Transfermarkt.com shows that we are squarely in the middle of the pack as far as squad value. Two years ago we were closer to the bottom. But the FO has spent a considerable amount of money the last 2-3 transfer windows. Locking Birnbaum down until 2020. Paying a significant transfer fee to secure Luciano Acosta. Signing Ian Harkes despite interest from abroad. Breaking club transfer record for Paul Arriola. Bringing Stieber in. Signing Ousted near the league max. Dropping a significant amount of allocation money for Asad. We're about to pay a small transfer fee for Joseph Mora. And players like Brillant, Mattocks, Segura, Moreno, De Leon, Mullins and Kemp are all well into 6 figure salaries.

While rosters around the league are not final, as of right now we probably have more value on our roster than Vancouver, Dallas, Columbus, San Jose, New England, Salt Lake, Houston and Minnesota. We're very much in the same pack with Colorado, SKC, Montreal, Orlando City, Philadelphia and Red Bull. There's only about 8 teams in the league where you could say that they're clearly one or more notches above us in spending ... Chicago, Seattle, NYCFC, Portland, LAFC, Galaxy, TFC and Atlanta.

The bottom line is that with the roster Ben has now, at some point the team needs to start looking competent. It's been 8 years and we still have no clear tactical identity. When you look at Berhalter, Marsch, Pareja or Vermes you can clearly see a coherent system in place. Might not work every time, but the teams look competent. Vermes has a signature 4-3-3 with a physical high press and solid defense. Marsch focuses on high energy youthful soccer. Pareja has the 4-2-3-1 possession style. Berhalter pushes the fullbacks up and has a diamond attacking formation that emphasizes one touch finishing for the striker. What identity does Olsen have? In 8 years we've fumbled our way from one formation to the next ... a diamond 4-4-2, flat 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, with only very brief periods of coherency. The soccer has mostly been labored, uncomfortable, confused and hard to watch. The time for excuses for me expired like 5 years ago, but nonetheless, here we are again with a new season. All I hope is that some day the excuses stop and we transition to a period of accountability.

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    One game into the season and a valuable away point, coach suspended...

Come on, folks. You're better than this.

8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And don't forget Kreis. His 10 dominated our 11 during the second half. When our guys had possession we didn't seem to know what to do, and what we did was promptly give up the ball. I think we have some moderately competent players who could do pretty well with better coaching.

Winoman repped this.
  9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One game into the season, couldn't hold a lead a man up, shitty tactics, and our lack of a decent offseason OB and striker let us down.

An expansion team was able to accomplish more against last year's runner up.

We have talent in the midfield and at center back. Stiker and OBs are a shit show and our tactics are next to non-existent.

We may be better than this but apparently the team isn't.

james

10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    And without Acosta, our designated play-maker

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Canouse.
    Horrible 2nd half. Horrible tactics.
    But let's see this team get to know each other a bit before giving up.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  12. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all of your post! And yet, interestingly, here we are, tied for 9th in the league. Infuriating, isn't it? :mad: :D

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I was unaware that the family dog had eaten Ben's 2018 team strategy notes, and he has been unable to reconstruct what, at the time, was pure soccer genius. Maybe an excuses thread is a better idea

Dizi repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not giving up. Not calling a pile of shit a rose either.

james

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I wish you would. You know LA has another team now, right?

16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm untreated herpes muthafcka' - you will never get rid of me.....

james

Eastern Bear and NicktheGreek repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...also - I have season tickets for LAFC.

fcuk the Galaxy!!!

james

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is a waste of time. The Fire Olsen crowd are entrenched. The don't fire Olsen crowd are entrenched. Neither side is going to give in. Neither will change the others mind so why bother.

Oh and in case I have not said this in the past 90 days Ashton, the idiot, is in charge of tactics around here so those second half tactics all of you hated were his doing. He was the "man" last match after all.

Dizi, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    In the Orlando match, you are spot on. I remember Ashton's interview at the beginning of the half where he said they would ping the ball around and run Orlando's legs off chasing the ball. I guess he gave that tactical advice in the wrong dressing room because that certainly is what Orlando did in the second half.

Bootsy Collins, sitruc, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Do you have actual evidence Ben was bound and gagged while locked in the trunk of Ashton's car during the match? It really isn't unusual for a suspended coach to relay instructions to their deputy via an intermediary.

Does "Neither will change the others mind so why bother." only apply to this subject or can that attitude be applied to other issues?

One last thing, it was written by Emerson and often quoted that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds". Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    He implies that great minds change so you're in good company:)

Dizi repped this.
  21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have shown time and time again Ashton drives the tactics on this club. When a player gets subbed in Ashton comes over to them and talks tactcis. Ben then pats them on the ass and says go get 'em. Watch it, every single time. I have been to practice. Ashton is running it. Ben is giving a little one on one advice and working in the drills. Do you think I am making this up? It is some delusion I am having? Now Ben is in charge and signing off on this but these are Chad Ashton's tactics, not Ben's.

Dizi and fatbastard repped this.
  22. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Isn't that what assistant coaches do?

Dizi, DecadeOfDCU26 and asitis repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They should not be the driving force. They should supplement.

24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen has been here a long time, but Ashton has been here longer. It's hard not to conclude that management was impressed by Chad and kept him on to tutor the inexperienced Benny. Benny is no longer inexperienced, and I think we are seeing the sum total of these two men. I'm not impressed with their accomplishments or their apparent acumen, but at least I like Benny. Can't say as much for Chad, whom I've found brusque.

Winoman and Dizi repped this.
  25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm sorry, but being a head coach that outsources tactics to his assistant is not very flattering. How are players supposed to respect such a thing?

I'm sorry, but the main thrust of the tactical presentation to the players needs to come from the top. Assistants are there for the little cutaway details that reinforce the head coach's program.

You guys should watch a documentary on Netflix called "Trainer". It follows 5 head coaches in the lower leagues of Germany for an entire season. When the team is watching video, the head coach is the one narrating. On the practice field the head coach is controlling the instruction.

I'm sorry, but if Ben is not alpha enough to take ownership of this part of the team, it's as good of a reason to fire him as any. This beta behavior from a head coach does not inspire confidence, and could be one of the reasons our team has so little vision. I mean if Ashton is responsible for tactics and Kasper is responsible for roster construction, then WTF is Benny's job? Glorified cheerleader?