Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Other teams are (equally or close to as) bad with little talent relative to those at the top of the table or even DCU but had better records. There’s no vacuum here. Philly is shit but had a better year. New England is shit but had a better year. San Jose is shit but had a better year.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Philly, New England, San Jose are all shit. One just got walloped by 4 in the play-in game and the others did not make the playoffs either. Our team sucks. The comparisons between teams that all suck are worthless. None of those teams are the talent equivalent of Dusty Baker and the Nationals squad, which was the basis of the post. And that difference makes the Dusty Baker comparison with Olsen meaningless. There is enough on Olsen and the GM to decry without pointing to other non-comparable or generally worthless comparisons.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The Nats fired Baker despite making the playoffs, despite putting together a good team and improving players over time and despite having amazing regular season results. The lack of success Baker had is in the end game, the very end game.

The gap between what was achieved and what needs to be achieved is miles longer for Olsen than Baker and yet here he is. With that Nats squad the expectation was high with years of trying to make it out of the first round. The expectation was at least round two and he failed. With this DC squad a reasonable expectation would be to at least compete for the very last spot in the playoffs. We didn’t even do that. The question is why is our tolerance so high for utter failure when we used to, not long ago, get good results. Why is making the playoffs in the bottom slot of 6 now even a marker for success?

You really have to take a holistic view of things by viewing Olsen relative to all coaches who gve been sacked, good and bad alike.

JRHokie repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok Sheldon!!!

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this squad the last playoff spot?!?!?! Not with the bunch of garbage roster that started the season. Now if Ariola, Stieber and Canouse were here all year then yes. They however came in at the summer transfer deadline, so no. You cannot suggest that a squad whose best choices in center midfield were Jefferys and Sarvas were capable of making the playoffs.

Winoman and onefineesq repped this.
  6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1606 onefineesq, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    The expectation for the Nats is to make it past the 1st round? What DC do YOU live in? That team, for the past 5 or 6 years or so, has walked into the season with a realistic hope (certainly locally) of ending with a World Series championship with the talent available (expectation is too strong of a word). Not that they WOULD win it, but that they were certainly CAPABLE of winning it, and that was the goal ... so I would rather use And they havent gotten out of the 1st round. DC United, talent-wise, is a team that I have walked in every season expecting to not make the playoffs. United has been just what I thought. The Nationals have underachieved.

Again, Ashton should have been gone YEARS ago. I said Ben should be out of here YEARS ago (hell, I took friendly fire here for saying point blank that he is an asshole on top of his coaching deficiencies). So I am not defending him. But the comparisons to Dusty Baker's situation are absolutely ludicrous.

NicktheGreek, sitruc and Eastern Bear repped this.
  7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, I was editing that last message and forgot to remove the "so I would rather use" before I got called away for a meeting. That's what I get for screwing around with bigsoccer while at work.

Winoman repped this.
  8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    31 years ago yesterday Sir Alex Ferguson became manager of Man U. Isn't he tired of retirement. A real challenge would be managing DC United with its MLS and ownership challenges.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and at almost 76 I'm sure he would relish these challenges:confused:

10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    He could get Steve Sampson on the hook and ask for advise.

11. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Kinda like "Next Goal Wins" when Rongen coached American Samoa

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal FC just hired Frenchman Remi Garde as their new head coach. Previously, owner Joey Saputo said they had had discussions with " a Swiss; a Frenchman; a German; a Spaniard; two Italians; and three Argentines." So there are potential Benny replacements out there for sure.

Winoman repped this.
  13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... walked into a bar.

majspike, fatbastard, sitruc and 5 others repped this.
  14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American ducked...

Winoman repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That's what every under 4 coach tells his/her team on day one. All of you are potential candidates to replace Olsen as coach of United. Some of you are already overqualified

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess ... if you're interested in people not even good enough to get a second interview in MTL.

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Wait till the Frog gives his first press conference in French and then finds out no one in Canada actually speaks it. Hope he likes mayo on his escargot

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Are you trying to replace Morissey as the dumbest poster on this forum?

19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE taps Brad Friedel as their new coach. Carlos Llamosa was released as Asst. Coach.

Jay Heaps is still available!:eek:

20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I would give Carlos a look at coaching up DCU's "defenders."

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Rs, and I'm the dumbest Moderator on this forum.

[​IMG]

fatbastard, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  22. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    The window of opportunity to win a World Series with the current Nats roster is closing. There defense was pathetic. Their bats obeyed up for these blunders in the regular season, not the playoffs.

That fifth ending blunder is still historic; two outs and Nats pitcher throws strike three to end the inning with two on base. Pitch gets by the catcher, hitter's bat hits catcher in the face mask, runners advance while catcher runs back to get the ball. One run scores by the time the catcher finds the ball. Instead of tossing the ball to the pitcher who is now covering home plate, the catcher throws the ball to second to try and get the hitter who just technically struck out. That throw is wild and rolls into the outfield. The runner on third easily scores.

Baker's defense should have ended an inning leaving two runners on base with the third strike and final out, instead the batter gets a double and two runs batted in all due to several mental errors.

Time for change before it's time to rebuild.

23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Was all that a description of a Baseball Own Goal?

24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Gian Piero Ventura has officially bumped Ben Olsen up a step on the ladder of soccer coaches.

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen played Acosta. Ventura did not play Insigne. Olsen wins!!!!!