Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last three games alone, Marcelo has had 4(!) turnovers leading directly to goals, and Jeffrey has had one and a half own goals. Those guys are killing us.
    Canouse isn't ready? Play DeLeon there. Try Robinson, he's played DM before.
    I understand the injuries make it very difficult not to start at least one of them, but the choice to start both was a bad choice. The results don't matter now, but team morale, cohesion, etc, does. Get a leg up and maybe surprise with a discovery (hey, Robinson looks pretty good there!).
    Do something different.

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edited.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    How many Western Conference teams have fired their coach this year? 4? Will anyone in the East be let go before the season is over?

4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NicktheGreek and shawn12011 repped this.
  5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Perhaps as an assistant.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinnear or Ashton? Perhaps a better question is for which coach would Dom Kinnear prefer to work - Sigi or Ben?

8. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Maybe the better question is where he wants to live. Remember Dom is from the Bay area. He left a good situation in Houston (sadly, not so good now) to return to San Jose, just as Sigi left Columbus, in part, to be nearer his family.

Somewhat related, have you noticed the turnover in assistant coaches in DC. I honestly don't know if this is normal, but it sure seems to be excessive. Is Ben hard to work for or are our owners just cheap and all those AC's left for better pay?

asitis

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the flip side, DCU gives a lot of recently-retired players their first shot at being assistants, which they parlay into future jobs elsewhere in the league.
    I quite fully expected LeToux to do the same, it is the FO's MO of getting rid of contracted players mid-season.

All this movement of assistants and we seem to still be stuck with Ashton, much to my chagrin.

GlennAA11, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't Rolfe be first in line?

Winoman repped this.
  11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because everything rolls up to Ashton and he is probably a giant asshole who blames his subordinates for everything and owns nothing.

Just a guess.

james

12. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    I'd love to know if anyone has the numbers on the team when Ashton has been assistant. I assume they'd be terrifying, but he's been there so long, who knows?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that has always puzzled me is how Ashton has survived so many coaching changes. Usually when a new head coach comes in he gets to choose his assistants. I think Ashton came with Tom Soehn, but stayed through Onalfo and Olsen. Of course, nobody really knew if Ben was ready to be a head coach (he said he wasn't), but apparently the FO at the time didn't hesitate to appoint Ben and not elevate Ashton. And now Ben (and the FO) either appreciates Ashton or can't fire him, for reasons I don't understand. If Ben is ever let go, I would be astonished if Ashton survives yet another head coaching change.

mosca and Winoman repped this.
  14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Kinnear may have taken the LA job to stay on the West Coast and also because Sigi is in his late 60s and probably won't be coaching long term. Kinnear can just slot in assuming the two can somehow right the sinking ship that is the Galaxy at the moment.

As for assistant turnover in DC, I think it's probably a combination of things. One is that these guys in some cases are on their first gigs, so they get a better offer elsewhere. I'm sure the pay isn't industry standard given the parsimonious nature of the FO until very recently. As for Ashton, he is the riddle wrapped in an enigma. I just look at him as Ben Olsen's version of Dave Sarachan, the assistant who is always there but no one seems to know exactly what it is that he does.

Winoman and song219 repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Since only one has shown he can coach the answer is clear

16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should've elevated Silooy and kicked Chad to the curb. Letting him go so easily was terrible.

fatbastard, sitruc, Boloni86 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure there is a story there. IIRC, Silooy just sort of ...disappeared.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Lots of assistants that I liked had a tendency to just disappear ... Josh Wolff, Pat Onstad, Davy Arnaud or Amos Magee. Which makes me wonder how Ashton can outlast all of them. Personally I think he sticks around because he doesn't ask for a paycheck. Probably lives in the RFK basement and sustains himself with hot dogs and Budweiser left over from game day. Which in fact could be the reason they're pouring this elaborate gravel foundation. Maybe that'll be the entrance to Ashton's secret subterranean layer.

sitruc, Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I had the chance to talk with Amos once and he was a really sharp guy. A very tactically humbling experience.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he made sure to make his escape as soon as he could.

21. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Magee went to the Loons probably for two reasons -- first, it was his home, and second, probably more money. I heard him at one of the STH meet and greets and he is a very funny and smart guy.

mosca and Winoman repped this.
  22. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Just peeked at Silooy's Facebook page. He moves around a great deal coaching youth teams. Last gig appears to have been somewhere in the Middle East. His "homepage" has a nice picture of the Washington Monument and the reflecting pool, so I would assume his memories of the time here weren't traumatizing. I think he's just a soccer gypsy coach and likes it that way.

Winoman repped this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once he can go outside while the sun's out, maybe.

Alecko seems to have figured out how to do coaching with severe concussion symptoms but it took him awhile and I'm not sure how he's doing lately. Stress, bright light, yelling, running, etc. all can induce symptoms and all are pretty coach-y things to do.

Winoman and Bootsy Collins repped this.
  24. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I've followed Alecko on twitter for the past few years. He was coaching the Cosmos B (or jr) squad (until they folded or lost backing or something) and really enjoyed the work. I don't think his concussion affected his coaching duties at all.