Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Change for the sake of change? How about change because we're the worst team in the league for the third time since Olsen was coach, our play on the field is uninteresring even when we win and our fanbase is diminishing along with our reputation in the league.

bigredfutbol, Rick77, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If anytime change for the sake of change is justified it is now which is why I'm sure the ownership won't do it.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed

I remember a GREAT MANY people here in this forum insisting that we had to get rid of Tom Soehn right away, that any change could only be an improvement.

We did that. We replaced him with Curt Onalfo. He didn't last the season.

mosca and shawn12011 repped this.
  4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    And then we replaced Onalfo with someone who wasn't better and we kept them around

nick, sitruc and NicktheGreek repped this.
  5. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the deal with Soehn? I was away at college for most of his tenure so wasn't as attached to the team as I am now. He won a couple shields didn't he, but much like recent, bounced out of the playoffs at home to Chicago (x2?) and New England

6. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our accomplishments during his tenure (2007-2009) did not seem as great as those during the immediately preceding coach's tenure (2004-2006); and more importantly, there was a progressive decline, in that 2008 was worse than 2007, and 2009 was worse than 2008. In 2008 and 2009, we did not make the playoffs, and consecutive years of not making the playoffs was disturbingly bad back then. Standards/expectations were different.

Boloni86, Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  7. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Yea standards and expectations have definitely lowered. Now a wildcard spot in the playoffs is seen as an accomplishment

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Savarese from NY Cosmos -- his contract is up this year and he intends to move on.

yabo and Boloni86 repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The question is, are the owners even trying to look? The question of "who" is irrelevant if nobody is even looking.

I agree that DC is a hard sell, but there have to be coaches out there who would consider us even if just as a career step to get a foothold in MLS. Coming to DC is a double edged sword. Yes you have weak ownership support. But that actually creates a vacuum that the new coach could fill by implementing his vision. I mean DC does have a budget. We have draft picks. It's not like it's impossible to find better players. Nobody twisted our arm to offer $400K to Sarvas and $250K to Franklin and so on. There has to be someone out there who has enough self confidence to think they can do better.

Rick77 and Winoman repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Two of the worst transactions I have seen in a long time.

nick repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Or who plans on opening a pizza hut franchise and figures the money will set him up to transition into the 2.0 version of life. Win win you get a bag of $$ and a long script of excuses for not succeeding

12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo was very good-to-good last season.

Franklin was our only right back on the roster when he was re-signed and has just given us a good-to-solid 3 years.

Easy to say worst in hindsight. These don't even touch transactions like Christian Castillo or Marcos Sanchez or Markus Halsti

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    There used to be a great many people posting here. Not so many anymore

Rick77, TowsonDad, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that our woes as a team might make us attractive to some coaches. If we continue to lose; well, what do you expect with such a roster? But if you begin to win - hey, you are a coaching genius!

morange92 and Boloni86 repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Watched his team soundly punish Miami this week. They had a plan that suited them, suited their opponent and was well executed. Wonder what they'd do if they played on turf that didn't look like a Parvesian Rugs sample sale

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christian Castillo or Marcos Sanchez or Markus Halsti were a long time ago to me. But I'm old so..................

17. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned this is the post game thread. His team clearly had a plan.

Winoman repped this.
  19. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to post all the time but just don't feel the need to keep saying the same thing over and over the last few years.

Bootsy Collins and NicktheGreek repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That was an extraordinarily tight team, very focused and dedicated. If it was the coach who did it all he's a treasure

21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • Up 1-0
    • Down to 10 men
    • Then you give up an own goal
    • settle for a draw
    Olsen needs to be sent packing before midnight!!!

22. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeffrey plays the buffoon two weeks in a row. You don't want to at least try Buescher in there, Benny? Jeffrey is replacement level at best, but he keeps getting starts. Whatever.

The first half was good, they passed and moved much better worth some one touch stuff. Acosta was playing quickly and getting everyone involved. If Opare is consistently what he was tonight, I'm good with that. Brown remains fast.

I thought they were more lucky than good in the second half, lucky in that Toronto (and Giovinco) were off tonight. Cool to see Odoi-Atsem run real fast and ooze untapped potential.

23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the replay it looked like Jeffrey's clearance was going over the end line for a corner but Birnbaum came sliding and the ball redirected into the net. At least that's the way it looked to me.

24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Nothing's changed, we've won a single game since May 28th and this game is not evidence of the team turning a corner. It's dropped points at home.

Boloni86 repped this.
  25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Two weeks in a row? You're too kind. Even before the own goal, I was cursing because of him on that play.

DCUSA repped this.