Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    So, if Olsen returns will we see more of Canouse at right back? I just can’t get enough of that amazing tactical move. Just so damn good.

This team needs a new direction. For the love of God.

sitruc, Bootsy Collins and Winoman repped this.
  2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Your solution to our problem at Right Back would have been what?

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Maybe not entering the season with your potential right backs being someone signed on loan who was a complete unknown in MLS (Jara), a guy recovering from cancer (O-A), a draftee (whose name I forget and who was cut during the season) and a guy who shattered his knee the season before (Fisher). Just sayin'........ Had Arriola not pitched in, I guess Kasper would have had to do another Pedroso and overpay for dreck. Seriously, while Olsen is limited in his coaching ability, Kasper's inability to fill out a full squad for preseason really should have been a firing offense. The only reason Canouse was moved to right back (a position he made clear in a Pitch Pass interview that he was playing because he was asked to, not because he wanted to) is due to the pickup of Felipe at the end of the summer transfer window. Again, the typical day late and dollar short type of acquisitions that Kasper makes.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Why is a "complete unknown in MLS" such a horrible thing? Why not look at actual soccer things like: field awareness; ball skill; crossing; speed, conditioning; tenacity

oh - I just described that cancer guy, Odoi-Astem

JRHokie repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This is a bad take, Bootsy. If anything, I'd argue the opposite is true. Think of all the players who were shit at their old teams and then showed up in DC and turned into excellent players.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #2506 Q*bert Jones III, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Thanks Benny for your contributions, which were many.

I don't think Olsen was ever the problem. I think he probably got DC a few points per season that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. His talent at getting the best out of other teams' castaways was always impressive. It's hard to believe that a person could coach a team for a decade and NEVER lose the locker room, especially given the talent at his disposal and the extraordinarily shitty quality of some of those teams. I have a feeling we'll miss his professionalism and passion in a few years.

But the fact is completely obvious: it's time to move on. DC was built to win in 2019. They weren't even close. They are facing a complete gut and rebuild. There is no point whatsoever in starting that rebuild with a coach who hasn't exactly lit the league on fire for the last decade.

So thanks for your service, Ben Olsen. You will always be a club icon and a personal hero.

Now the team needs to get a visionary coach with a philosophy to build around. Kasper should be basing all offseason decisions on his/her opinions.

7. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    An "unknown" is not horrible, but it is foolish to pencil in someone as your starter who never has played in the league and your backups to that player are two seriously ill/injured guys and a rookie drafted out of college.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben fundamentally doesn't understand the sport. It's much more complicated than "play like a fist." You can have that as A salient feature of your team, but it can't be the only salient feature.

The two worst things about Ben. First, he is a horrendous developer of young talent. Excruciatingly bad. Second, he can't work with skilled players. Acosta had a brief spell of truly high production, and it's not a coincidence that it was when a player he respected came to the club. He got nothing out of Salihi and Boskovic. He preferred Pajoy.

bigredfutbol, tallguy, JRHokie and 3 others repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Olsen's biggest problem is he relies on Ashton too much. Ashton has show his tactical acumen to be somewhere below 0.000001%. I have said I have seen practice, Ashton runs it. Yes Ben make decisions but he depends on one of the worst coaches in the history of soccer.

fatbastard repped this.
  10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who did you have in mind? Quincy Amarikwa? Jeff Parke? Lionard Pajoy? :)

I can think of some players who came from other teams and were definitely improvements on what we had (DeRosario, Espindola, Rolfe, etc.); but who *sucked* for their previous team and then came here and played really well?

Not disagreeing with you -- I just genuinely am not remembering, and am perfectly willing to believe that it's yet more old-age brain fade on my part.

benni... repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2511 fatbastard, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    I'm of the opinion there are just as many players who contributed at a certain level for DCU then went somewhere and performed well for a brief period before regressing to the same exact type of play - as there are players who had fallen off with their previous club and then came to DCU and improved their performance for a brief period of time before regressing to their previous form.

I think we see players going to a new club and playing well and think (especially if we have certain preconceived notions) that Ben was holding them back - but in two years they're the same old player - some players just react well to a new environment every few years.
    There's a reason so many players are traded "for a fresh start" or "a change of scenery" and both parties seem to thrive. It wouldn't be such a popular cliche if it didn't happen so much.

Luckily when I become lazy in my job after the first year, no-one can trade me :D

griffin1108 repped this.
  12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet he keeps him around...

sitruc and shawn12011 repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd argue that the team's DNA under Benny was that they took journeymen and castoffs from other teams and gave them one last shot for success. I'm thinking of players like Espindola, Boswell, Arnaud, Brillant, Vanney, Lloyd Sam, Rolfe, Neagle, and others.

Surely if we're going to blame the coach when a player leaves DC to thrive, we should also praise the coach when a player arrives and succeeds.

benni... repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is systemic and inclusive of the coaches, trainers, FO, physio, ballc kids, scouting, and players. Just because it is deeper than one level doesn’t mean it doesn’t also include them.

Some here have been calling for burning the muthafcuka down for years. Hopefully someone will come in with some clout, gasoline, and a blowtorch.

15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?

16. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think of Espindola, Boswell, Sam, Rolfe or Neagle as players that "were shit at their old teams" before coming here. And in two of those cases (Sam and Neagle), I think their play got worse after they got here.

I don't think of Arnaud, Brilliant, or Vanney as players that were/have been "excellent" here.

I agree with this.

onefineesq and Winoman repped this.
  17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The first problem is the league is too big. There is just not enough talent pool to adequately supply the league with quality players for every side. Add to that the failure of the youth system, include the DA, to develop players for the higher level, we have a much inferior product on the pitch than what we became accustomed 20 some years ago when we went out to RFK.

If the league was broken into two divisions (and believe me, I am the last to advocate promotion/relegation), I think we see DC United making the climb and fall every so many seasons. While there are those who argue that Ben must go, I think he has been the key to make the club somewhat competitive. Just difficult to do with your feet tied. Rooney has been a good acquisition, a lot better than many of us expected. His presence helped improve others, especially Acosta and Arriola. But the rest of the cast is pretty much mediocre and that is what we get, what we have. Ben showed a lot of grit as a player but he was also a very intelligent one. You can tell he was taught old school. Give him a real team and then judge him. If he went elsewhere, I am sure he would do well. There is only so much he or anyone can do with the little resources put into the team.

18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I don’t want to give Olsen anything- players, chances, money, anything.

JRHokie repped this.
  19. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I would give him paint, brushes and canvas.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Wilmer Cabrera is available again. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  21. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ABMOD. :)

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post is the first one in the thread. I've flirted with the idea at times that Benny is an adequate coach, but he's not.
    Time for him to go.
    And man... I don't think anyone ever thought Ashton was valuable. The presumption is that he goes too.

benni... repped this.
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab Ramos is now coach of the Houston Dynamo.

Why can't DC United make an inspired hire such as that?

sitruc, Winoman and JRHokie repped this.
  24. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fallback option would be to let Benny stay on the condition that Ashton leaves and a new assistant coach is brought onboard. This sort of thing happens all the time in the NFL.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why ask questions to which you already know the answer?